How do I look for these schools? Be brutally honest.....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: How do I look for these schools? Be brutally honest.....
By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

I'm applying to:

Reach: Brown, Stanford (everyone at my school does, I'm pretty sure I won't get in there)

Match: Georgetown EA (is this a match or reach for me?), UCLA, Berkeley, Claremont McKenna

Safeties: UCSD, UC Davis, George Washington

Note: GEORGETOWN is my TOP choice, so I'd really like some input on my chances at that school in particular....

STATS:

White male
large public school in Cali

GPA: 4.3 W, 4.0 UW
Class rank: 3 of 518

SAT I: 1460 (740 Verbal, 720 Math)
SAT II: 800 Math IIc, 800 Writing, 740 US History

AP's from junior year - English Comp (5), US His (5), Chem (3), Span (2)

AP's this year - Calc, Stats, Lit, Gov

EC's:

-Speech and debate team VP and manager (a few awards)
-News editor of school paper
-Varsity golf team four years
-School Site Council Rep
-I've created my own political commentary website (http://politics2004.blogspot.com)
-A few honors clubs, including math tutoring...

This last summer I:
-Interned for my state Senator
-Took a macroeconomics class at a local university (got an A)
-Went to Presidential Classroom.

I also went to "National Student Leadership Conference" last year.

I got a 218 on PSAT and have gotten into the first stage of National Merit, but I live in a competitive state (Cali) so I dunno how far I'll go in that.

Essay is about passion for politics.

So, what do u think? (especially for Georgetown)

By Butrfly212 (Butrfly212) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Georgetown is probably inbetween a reach and a match for you (closer to a match). Your scores are great and your EC's seem to be acceptable. You have an obvious passion (politics) that gives you an edge. With EA, I would be surprised if you did not get in to gtown. Unofortunately, I'm not familiar with Brown. But I know Stanford looks a lot for ECs, and as far as I've seen and heard, it tends to be pretty finicky with admits. It's hard to tell with Stanford.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 02:55 am: Edit

bump

By Dumbuket (Dumbuket) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 06:43 am: Edit

actually, trojan, I'd say that all those schools are a guarantee... at least you should think that they are. If I've learned anything from applying to college, it's that you have to approach your applications with a sense of complete confidence. I purused your site, and if you can write an essay or two with the same quality of writing, you should be absolutely fine at any of those schools. You might want to make a supplament essay or pepper your writing with humor, (I'd be willing to bet that you have the verbal finesse to manage that). I'm glad to see somebody on these boards that reminds me of my high school buddies... I wish you the best.

By Sostressedout (Sostressedout) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 09:44 am: Edit

i think u have a great chance, I heard they like students who show a passion in whatever it is they want to study; actualy georgetown is my first choice too and im applying early as well so i hope to god they like students like that, ive been working towards it since freshman year :(

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:50 pm: Edit

sostressed....what are your stats?

By Sostressedout (Sostressedout) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 03:30 pm: Edit

well if u really wanna kno here they are, they really suck compared to urs lol, but oh well

persian female
avg size public school in a suburb
3.5 uw gpa
4.1 wgpa
APs: Junior Year- Calc AB, Lang, US history, Psych, Stats
Senior Year- Chem, Euro Hist, Econ, Lit
SAT: 800v,710m
SATIIs to be taken in oct
ECs: Founder,President of Model UN
President of International Club
Have participated in track for past two years(i hate running w a passion buti did it only to keep in shape)
Teach at a Sunday School
Tutor kids
Lots of Charity and Community work mostly centered around rasining money for victims of war and poverty in palestine, middle east, afghanistan, and kashmir
can speak: persian,urdu, french (well sorta), and i can read and write arabic fluently but cant understand it (it sounds wierd but its what i was taught)

Im applying early to the FLL in the College as a Arabic major and my essay is abt how i want to to help kids that live in poverty or are victims of war in palestine and in the middle east

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 03:35 pm: Edit

you know you have the samne profile my brother did , similar ec's and sat scores everything , but my brother got rejected from stanford :(
but trust me it was his essay what brough him down its was too cocky i read it and i dont blame them for rejecting him,
but hey just write hell of an essay and youll be just fine
check out my post please! its called
Seriously wich one would YOU Choose??

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 05:05 pm: Edit

You have a good chance at all of the schools. But Georgetown just is not a match for anyone. My son applied EA there, was deferred, then waitlisted. Did not bother to return waitlist card because he got in where he wanted. But Georgetown sent a page of stats as to who applies and gets in and it is truly scary how many valedictorians, perfect SATs,class presidents, athletes, other phenomonal leaders are turned down. Anytime you are dealing with a 20% accept in a Hot school, it is not a match. My son interviewed with a Georgetown alum whose daughter did not get in and her stats were pretty good according to him.
Tufts is another great school, So is Hopkins (check out their SAIS program) for the area you want. Also how is U of Penn rather than going head to head with so many of your classmates? That's the mistake alot of people make. You have your safeties covered so you might as well go to town on your match and reaches. Cornell has a great school called ILR (industrial and labor relations),
You have a good shot at all of your choices. Good luck.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Jamimom...what were your son's stats?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

My son's stats were not anywhere near yours. He is a college level athlete and was a prospect at GT. He also graduated from a school that places 10-15 to GT each year. If you went to this school, you would get in, I'm pretty sure. However, other kids in the area had a mixed bag of results with stats like yours. Of all of the colleges, I was way off on predicting who would get into GT and who would not. I was pretty dead on with all of the other schools. I will say that most of the kids who got in had that "hook". I was pretty sure my son would not get in because of his lack of interest in the school that showed. After his visit there, he lost all interest in the school and it really was not the right place for him but he had applied EA very early as was recommended by his school--a tip for you here.
My only comment about your stats is regarding foreign language. If you are applying to the School of Foreign Service, I understand that fluency in a language, preferably 2 is important.
Everyone in my son's school had 4 years of a modern foreign language, and 2 or Latin or Greek. My son is fluent in 2 foreign languages and has had many years of Latin. You are certainly fine in APs. My son had 8, maybe 9 but only 4 in his junior year and he got 3s and 4s with one 2. His school does not rank--he had a 3.6 unweighted and I don't know how they weighted that. The 3.6 was a conversion from a 100 point scale and I could never figure out how they did anyof these numbers but the schools did not seem that interested in GPA quibbles. The courseload , the SATs and that he was an athlete were the important things for him and he was told by numerous athletic departments that a 1350 was the break point for him, and he did get there. You might want to get an assessment for your golf. I don't know much about that sport and how it fits into the college spectrum so I can't help you with that but I can tell you that being an athlete that a college can use is a powerful hook.
I know a young man with much lower stats in Columbia because he is on a team there. And that year ever so many kids from here were rejected from columbia with far higher numbers.
Also, as an aside to Sostressed out, you sound like a good candidate. They are really seeking Arabic studies students who can speak, understand,the language. It is the times.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 01:22 am: Edit

Yea, I took four years of Spanish (starting in 8th grade by taking a Spanish 1 class at the high school) and I took AP Spanish my junior year, getting only a 2 on the AP test.

But -- i'm not applying to SFS, just the college, so I'm hoping that this won't hurt me that much.

I will have had 8 AP's by the time I graduated.

Regarding golf, I don't think I'm good enough to get looked at or recruited by G-town. Plus, I wouldn't want to play there even if they wanted me....too much time....

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 03:44 am: Edit

bump

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page