South Carolinian for EA Georgetown SFS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: South Carolinian for EA Georgetown SFS
By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Hello all:
First of all, I just want to admit that I too have succumbed to the ridiculous admissions craze that this website promotes. I think it's rather silly to be doing this, but I was so tempted into posting that I couldn't resist. I figure it can't hurt to get other people's opinions... For all of you who are paranoid about getting into an Ivy League school-please read an essay in Atlantic Monthly (available on their website) called "Confessions of a Prep School Counselor" (or something like that). It's an excellent essay and brings some reason into why being obsessed with getting into an elite school is a big waste of time. Ok, so, I have applied EA to Georgetown's SFS. It is by far my first choice and always has been. I attend a fairly competitive (ok, well, its got a good reputation here...) Catholic school in Charleston, SC.

Academic Info:
SAT: 720V+680M=1400
ACT: 28 (I hope that by having submitted this, my chances won't actually be hurt)
Cum. GPA (as of last year which is all that Gtown has seen): 4.676
SAT II: French w/Listening 770
French: 710
US History: 700
Chemistry:690
Writing: 740
Junior Year AP: US His.: 5
Chemistry: 4
+Honors English, H Precal, H Theology, H French IV (this was the hardest curriculum offered)
Senior Year: AP English Lit, AP-AB Calculus, AP American Gov, H Theology, H Econ, H Physics (almost the hardest curriculum) + Russian 101/102 at College of Charleston two nights a week (have an A) (no French AP was offered this year)

Extra-Curricular:
Founded MUN last year+ am President (got first conference award this year)
Pres. of French Club+ recipient of Academic Award for French (one per course) every year+put that I am fluent in French on my application (I am no native by any means, but I can converse without difficulty)
Secretary of NHS
Municipal Youth Court Judge (I make real sentences for juvenile offenders, and have been an attorney for the past two years)
Weekly Piano lessons for 3 years
Active in Habitat
Youth Group Member ( I am doing weekly RCIA right now)
worked 10 hrs/week 10+11th grade
Summer'99: German Language Camp at Concordia Language Villages
Summer '00:Camp Seagull Leadership Program
Summer '01: Georgetown International Relations Program + Duke Tennis Camp (used savings)
Summer '02: Won full AFS Merit Scholarship (1 of 9 nationally, from over 1000 apps), spent 7 weeks on exchange with family in France +language camp

Ok, now that I have written my life story...what do y'all think??????? My essays were about getting MUN going and how religious conflict is an increasingly serious global issue. My experience essay was about France. I hope the essays don't hurt me...

Drew B.

By bored on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Sure..you have a shot. But do you know of any other kids from your school applying to georgetown EA. They have to limit themselves geographically. But you have good stats all around.

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Other people were applying from my school to the college EA, but I haven't heard of anyone applying to SFS at all.

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 09:37 pm: Edit

bump

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 09:37 pm: Edit

bump

By mike on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Hell yeah boy!! From the south •••• yeah they'll take you, i'm from charlotte, well i just moved up to yankee cincinnati about a year ago, but i'm applyin to georgetown, you'll get in man, don't worry about it, it just sucks that there is no georgetown like college in south carolina, i have a house in debordieu

By Fish (Fish) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:40 am: Edit

Woohoo then. Maybe we'll all meet next year if we all end up going. I know someone with a house in debordieu. It seems to be an obscure island (I mean it as a compliment), and you're the only other person I've heard of other than him. Ok yeah. Colleges suck in SC. I'm from Rock Hill...20 minutes from Charlotte.

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Yeah...I really want to get out of SC...although, USC has the top international business school in the country, but Columbia makes me want to die. I don't have a house in any "colony"s but I live on the harbor in Charleston, so I get my share of the beach/water. That would be awesome if we all got in...I just need to find some money. Joy.

By Fish (Fish) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Haha. I feel it. Do you know E. Allen from Ashley Hall, Drew? She came to art jail last year and didn't come back.

Too many people I know and don't like plan to go to USC, Clemson, and College of Charleston. Though friends are there too, it'd be like a rerun of highschool...almost? :-P! Sometimes I'm glad these colleges aren't that hot...one less incentive to stay in-state.

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Wow, I say the exact same things...we think alike! I have heard of Elizabeth I think....I don't know many people from Ashley Hall other than the girls who went to middle school with me. Everyone from my school is going to Clemson! Ah, CLEMSON MANIA! I completely agree, it seems like going to college here would be a rerun of high school, which shouldn't of course be an insult to people going to schools here...but I want out!

By fweio on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 07:47 pm: Edit

uh...
your rank IS determined by your gpa right?

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Yeah....why? do people with my GPA at your school have really low ranks? This is South Carolina, we are 50th for SAT scores. But I go to a Catholic school, and my grades are still "competitive" for the school and the area. Our GPA scale for Honors/AP says that 4.5=B+ and 5=A so I am in the A- range technically even though my numeric average is an 88. We don't get extra credit for AP courses either because whenever an AP course is offered it replaces the Honors course.

By mike on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:54 pm: Edit

thats how Chapel Hill is for kids like me from charlotte, it would definitely be a lot of fun, but it would be a country day rerun (thats where i went)

By Fish (Fish) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 11:17 pm: Edit

I'm applying to Clemson because of the fee waiver and because the application takes about 4 minutes...also, in the case my paranoia comes to life and I don't get into any colleges. The area doesn't have much to offer, unfortunately. I remember seeing a Burger King.

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:34 pm: Edit

bump

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 04:43 pm: Edit

bump AGAIN...come on people what do you think? do any of the moderators have any thoughts?

By Iggy boy on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 10:51 pm: Edit

my mom went to the SFS.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page