Chaces at RPI,MIT,U.MICH..

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chaces at RPI,MIT,U.MICH..
By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

I am an American citizen but have studied in India since prep school.I am now in senior year.
I intend on doing either chemical or nuclear engineerig.

SAT 1350:Math:760,Verbal:590.
SAT II :Writing :640,Math level 2:800 and Chem:780.
Percentage :75%(Considered Good)(CBSE)
Lots of Recomendations
ECS:
Participated and won a prize at the model united nation,extremely active participation in Interschool and intraschool debates and quiz.Play Badminton at state level.Editor school magazine.I was in the school band,which preformed with the army band. House prefect at school.Enlisted in student roll of honour at school and in the schools union of Himachal.Have been member of the play and dance group.Competitive in most sports.

Note:
Consider essay to be good.

I have not given in any APS because we dont have AP at school.I have 23 units.2 years of deep and intense study of Chem,Physics and Math.Taking writing again will score 750(For sure).

I am applying to 6 or 7 schools they are as follows:

Reach
MIT

Good Match

Georgia institute of Technology(EA)
U.Michigan(Ann Arbor)(EA)
U.Texas(Austin)
RPI(EA)

Safety
WPI(worcester polytechnic institute)(EA)
U.MASS.

Please rate my chances at these schools and add or subtract any college from that list.

Thankyou.

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

PLEASE

By Tingtingclin (Tingtingclin) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:57 pm: Edit

u are in for all except for mit

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 02:02 am: Edit

thanks

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 02:39 am: Edit

You can easily explain a low verbal score by saying that there wasnt as much attention givent to english as their would be in an american high school, but that can only take you so far.

U of Mich is a great school, and they have a good reputation for all things science. I think if you only apply to the schools on your list, it will be the best on you get into, and well worth going.

Add some more schools to your reaches, you never know, you could get lucky (its what im counting on). Try the lower ivies like Dartmouth and Cornell. Wash St louis has a great engineering program, as does berkeley.

evaluate my stats: "need advice on good math/reach school"

good luck with the whole admissions process, im thinking you'll get into U of Mich and will be happy there, MIT is a bit out of reach for most people, so dont get discouraged if you get rejected. But who knows, you may get in.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 02:39 am: Edit

good match*

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 03:50 am: Edit

Thanks a lot

By We_The_Ppl_Fire (We_The_Ppl_Fire) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 01:32 am: Edit

Hi, thanks for posting on my thread! I think you are a strong candidate at your good match schools. I don't think you should list the ec's you are a member of, list them only if you have leadership role or outstanding performance. Since you don't have AP's at your school, you should have taken college courses in math and science to prove to the colleges that you can handle advanced material. If you have this, you will be a surefire candidate for the good match schools, but still a reach for MIT (as they typically accept those with both high verbal and math scores on SAT). Overall strong, and I wish you good luck!

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 02:26 am: Edit

Thanks a lot

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 01:21 pm: Edit

bump

By Nyla (Nyla) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 02:13 pm: Edit

i think you have a really good chance and don't worry about verbal like Audrey said. i think you'll get in to all of your colleges too but w/ MIT im not sure. since there's not much time left before we apply just make sure ur essay kicks butt. you are pretty good all around and you've shown strength in subjects relating to your major in college so i dont think u'll have any problems. good luck! and thanx for posting on my site!

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Thankyou very much.Any ideas which topic should I choose and does RPI have an additional applicationm or is the common application enough

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 05:34 am: Edit

SOMEONE

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 01:29 pm: Edit

BUMP

By Dkm (Dkm) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 03:00 pm: Edit

if(since) ur an international student forget MIT..it only accepts like 4% international students and all have 1600 sat and so on..perfect in everyway...the state skools might also be hard to get into e.g u.mich but the rest u have a good chance

By Futureal (Futureal) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

With your current stats, I think you are in at all of your target/match schools.

If you can bring up your SAT V and your SATII W a bit, I think you should add Johns Hopkins to your list as it has engineering programs not to be overlooked. (loads of undergraduate research opportunities)

By Girl (Girl) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Great list and stats.
Maybe move U. Texas Austin to safety, your great math SAT I score should seal the deal there.
I'd also suggest checking out JHU as another reach school. They offer awesome engineering programs.

By Citrus (Citrus) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Your stats seem pretty much good for the schools you picked, except for MIT....
About WPI, it's generally accepted that it's not as good as some of the other engineering schools, and they don't seem as serious judging from the mail they sent me. But they're still respectable, and I think they're top 50. It can't hurt to apply---it's a pretty safe bet you'll get in.

Right now the best thing to do is to work on that SAT verbal, it's always nice to have a 600. For MIT, you'll definitely need 650 and probably 700+....with just a little practice, I'm sure you'll improve.
Next is the SAT II writing, but IMO the SAT verbal is more important for the time being.

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:06 am: Edit

Thanks a lot everyone.

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 04:11 am: Edit

Thanks a lot everyone.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page