Brown PLME

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Brown PLME
By Nevergettingin on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:07 pm: Edit

GPA: 4.0, top 10% (school does not rank)

SAT I: 1550 (790 V, 760 M)

SAT II: 770 Writing, 790 Math 2C, 800 Chinese, 780 Physics, 700 Spanish

AP Exams: 5 Calculus, 5 US History, 3 Physics, 3 Computer Science

National Merit Semifinalist - Selection Index 234 out of 240

Currently taking 4 AP classes at my high school, classes at University of California, Irvine, and at a local community college.

Activities I elaborated on in my application: Internship where I designed software to help children in disadvantaged schools learn math and science concepts (based off of neuroscience/physics research); leader of the local Tzu-Chi youth group (Global Buddhist community service organization); participation in the University Program for High School Scholars; vice president of Future Business Leaders of America and officers of several other clubs

Work Experience: Assistant Salesperson at a jewelry store. 15 hours a week.

Many other E.C.'s, but Brown asks you to write an essay, not make a list - so I did not have space and did not think it was advantageous to name the less important ones.
Strong Essays, Strong Recommendations, Strong Interview

Just asking for any opinions (negative is fine) on my chances of getting into Brown PLME).
Personally, I don't think I'll make it through early decision - I'll most likely get deferred, maybe even rejected. I give myself a 2-10% chance of making it at the most. I sent it in already and will hear about it in 2 weeks, wish me luck.

By same person on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Awards mentioned in application: AAPT National Physics Bowl 2nd Place, Division I (All western states)

AP Scholar with Honor

By FutureDoc on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:19 pm: Edit

If you make it can you please give me your email so that I can ask for some help... I would like to get into PLME as well...

By CALIFORNIA MONKEY on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 09:57 pm: Edit

another poor soul who is going to be rejected from PLME

By CA MONKEY on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 10:00 pm: Edit

and wtf is up with your physics...3 on the AP but you won some national crap?

By nevergettingin on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 10:13 pm: Edit

finally I have a response!
well...thanks for being honest (I think).

My physics score is because...well..I slept through the test.

I was cramming for AP computer science, which I'm incredibly bad at (and I didn't know the case studies on the exam), for a test on either the same day or the day before, and just dozed through the free response portion of my AP test.

sad, but true.

oh well... I just thought that even if it was 0.0001% I had to try anyway, because I really want to go.

By Sheesh on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Calm down. You have a good chance. As good as anybody because though they're selective, it's not necessarily about having the highest test scores. If you have the academic credentials (and you do), it's about showing that you have sufficient passion to succeed at a very high level. It's about your ability to convey that the qualities that would make a great doctor.

There's another thread around here that includes this discussion from a guy that was admitted to Brown PLME. He points out that his scores were not as good as yours.

Best of luck, however it turns out...

By Cre8ive11 (Cre8ive11) on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 12:10 pm: Edit

Hi! I have to make a very difficult decision--I have narrowed down my choices to Yale and the Brown PLME. I am absolutely positive that I want to be a physician. I did very well in high school--valedictorian of a competitive class of 300, intel semifinalist, national merit finalist, scholar-athlete, summer medical research...I am not really sure which route to take--I love the security of going to Brown and knowing I do not have to apply to med school, but I also know that Yale has such an incredible reputation (and it was so hard to get in this year!) On the other hand, it was also so hard to get into the PLME! The things I worry most about Brown are the liberal rep of the undergraduate college as well as obtaining residencies after med school (I am interested in derm or ophthalmology). Yale has its issues as well--I was told that over 45% of premed undergrads take off a year or more to build their resume before they apply to med schools. Also, everyone I met at Yale seemed to be premed...the competition must be intense, although the admssions officers say that everyone gets into med school eventually! Can someone give me some advice as to which route to take?!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page