Disabled Hispanic at Harvard ?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Disabled Hispanic at Harvard ?
By Jugheadjones (Jugheadjones) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Anyone willing to chime in on if Harvard EA would be better spent at a less competitive school? Aid considerations make it very hard to go ED though. Princeton, Brown and Dartmouth are the other reaches I had in mind but only Harvard has EA.

1260 SAT (1st try)
800 (US), 700 , 710, 720, SAT II's (Perfect essay on writing)
AP's 3,5,5,5,4,4,4,4 (5 of these were w/o classes -- can an English 5 offset the SAT?)
3.6 uw
No Ranks
Head of one 'club', very involved (40Hrs/Wk+ -- positions too)
Also Ran a very succesful business ($25K<)
Profits were invested and traded
A few department awards and some involvement in school clubs
Great recs
3 Summer classes with A range grades.
NHSP from PSAT

Thanks and don't be too brutal. It's hard being Jughead.

By Jugheadjones (Jugheadjones) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Bump

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

retake ur sat! its too low for any ivy

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Why are you bothering with EA? I don't think that applying EA would give you any advantages at Harvard, so why are you doing it?

From the nature of your post, it also doesn't seem as if you have a clear first choice anyway. Why not apply regular decision?

Since finances are a consideration, anyway, seems you'll want to apply in a way that also helps you get the best aid packages. EA and ED may not necessarily do that.

I think you have a chance at Harvard. I can't predict, though whether you'll get in EA because from what I have seen, the people who get in EA are walk on water types.

I'm curious, too, about the schools that you're picking. Harvard and Dartmouth, for instance, don't seem to have much in common except for both being Ivies.

I am assuming that you'll retake the SAT. Based on your other scores, your SAT I should go up with a retake.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Oh -- since you also ran a business, what about Wharton School at U Penn?

By Serdu (Serdu) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

You are disabled?

By Jugheadjones (Jugheadjones) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Howdy,

The interest in D is the Rockerfeller Center and in the role of New Hampshire in the political process. D's reputation for a good quality of life plays a role as well. I don't mind the weather but I am not sure as to the urban/rural preference. Urban is fine, yet rural would be a new experience.

H's appeal is based on the House System, the security of an urban environment, the loose structure of certain concentrations and the general observations of Undergrads writing in the Harvard Independent. The Frosh seminar program gives me some confidence that Summers is serious about the UG's.

Having run the business and traded the profits, It left me with a distaste for business in general and with my circumstances so far as dealing with math...It's not really too much of an option.

As far as going EA...In an ideal world, Brown would be offering a one-school EA policy. However, with the urban/rural issue unresolved and the need to compare aid...EA keeps options open and it takes a chance to use an early card somewhere...Even if it isn't such a good one in my case.

Yes, Serdu. Learning and otherwise (Although, thankfully, not confined to a wheelchair...It is a major hinderance in everyday life).

Thanks

By Jugheadjones (Jugheadjones) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Anyone have anything to say about chances at Brown or Princeton?

By Argus (Argus) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Of the schools you've listed I think you probably have the best shot at Princeton and Dartmouth. Both schools have difficulty attracting applications from students of color. At Dartmouth, location is the issue, since many SOC's tend to want a more urban environment for college. At Princeton it is a vested atmosphere of white, male conservatism that makes an otherwise stellar school a tougher sell for minorities and women. (Which makes the choice of Rapelye as the new director all the clearer.) I would bet too that your chances at both schools will go up even more if it turns out that youíre from a low-income background or if you are the first in your family to attend college.

Both Brown and Harvard have an easier time of attracting applications from students of color. Consequently your chances at these two schools is less clear. Harvard will like that you demonstrate leadership potential in extracurriculars and through your entrepreneurialism. Brown will like initiative and independence demonstrated through your business and your overcoming a disability.

I donít think any of these schools will be terribly concerned about the SAT Iís, especially with SAT IIís being so high.

Best of Luck.

By Plopfkop (Plopfkop) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

On a sidenote, I believe that under some circumstances you are legally allowed to break an ED if the Aid package is insufficient

By Stressedmonkey (Stressedmonkey) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:56 am: Edit

I'm curious as to how you had a 40hrs/wk club??? Even if you were involved 7 days a week thats almost 6 hours... Unless you do like 24 hours on the weekend and 16 hours during the week, that's still insane. That's like having a full time job in addition to school!

By Jugheadjones (Jugheadjones) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 01:48 pm: Edit

It was a 7 day/Wk involvement certainly. My main activity really...It got really insane when I was President.. Probably 3-5 Hr/Wkday with the remainder on the weekend (sometimes over, Sometimes under..It's an approximation cuz It was never a perscribed time period). My beauty sleep was the main casualty though. With multitasking though, It wasn't so bad. The trading and business had something of a big commitment too but that was beforehand.

Incidentally, Anyone have any comments on whether to include a diag with the apps? Part of the reason I'm unsure about where to go is cuz I don't know how flexible or not these places are/will be.

As far ED and aid go..Having traded those stocks..I'm gonna try to see what happens w/o ED..Maybe foolish, Maybe wise..LOL I'll letcha guys know how it goes but I think NorthStar's point on aid is valid.

Anyway, Thanks for all of the advice dudes and dudette.

By Jugheadjones (Jugheadjones) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 01:09 am: Edit

Bump

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 01:30 am: Edit

raise your sat over 1400

By Jugheadjones (Jugheadjones) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:36 am: Edit

One last bump.

By Polly (Polly) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 08:41 pm: Edit

GPA of 3.6 is too low for Ivy, I think...
Is it weighed or non-weighed?
If not, it's still low, maybe.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page