Yale + Harvard Chances for Boston Area White Public HS Male

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Yale + Harvard Chances for Boston Area White Public HS Male
By Washer50 (Washer50) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:17 pm: Edit

1500 SAT I - 800 Math, 700 Verbal
ugly SAT 2's: 740 Writing, 690 Math IC, 640 Chem
8.091 GPA (out of 9, weighted, it's weird) = ~Top 10%
AP US: 4
This year: AP Bio, AP Psych, AP Stats, Honors English, Honors Spanish, Economics (school only allows AP's to begin in Junior year, and the only AP offered is US???)
grades dropped to B's in Junior year, straight A's freshman and sophmore and first semester of senior year
School doesn't have Honor Society, valedictorian, class rank (can't favor one person over another should be our school motto, VERY P.C.)
VP of Class, Junior + Senior Year
PAWS Mediator (Mediation Program at school): 10, 11, 12
Serve on Business Technology and Education Advisory Board to city and state (youth rep): 10, 11, 12
Member of Debate Club: 10, 11, 12
Debate Commentator for School Newspaper: 11
Model UN: 11, 12
Nationally Ranked (#88 U19) Squash Player: 9, 10, 11, 12
New England Champs U19 Rugby Team (MSX Highlanders): 10, 11, 12 <--1st side starting flanker, sponsored by Target
Creator, President of School Rugby Club: 9, 10, 11, 12
Golf Team: 9, 10, 11, 12
Track Team (Indoor and Out): 9, 10, 11, 12
Hockey Team: 9
Christian Education (CE) Board Rep at Church: 9-12
Creator and Editor of CE Newsletter at Church: 9-12
Shelter Cooking every weekend: 9-12
Big Brother program: 12
Bell Choir at Church (tour around Boston area): 9-12
Church Youth group: 9-12
Internship at Boston University Finance Department: 11+12
Caddy (AA certified): 9-12
Sunday Sexton at my church: 10-12
Babysitter at local nursery: 9-12
Co-own and operate my own web design business, MixMedia: 9-12

loaded with EC's I'm told, but I'm not sure about my SAT II's and grades (straight A's, dropped in senior year, taken the most rigorous courses, but the drop in junior year I think will hurt me). Would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks a lot!

P.S. Applying to most other Ivy's regular (except Brown), U Mich, Middlebury, BU, BC, Duke, UVA, U Chicago, Northwestern

By Washer50 (Washer50) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:38 pm: Edit

32 ACT also (31 English, 34 Math, 32 Science, 32 Reading), also applying to Stanford regular -- I didn't play it up, but rugby is big for me, planning on playing for a D1 program (even though it isn't NCAA regulated, coachs still do some recruiting) - Strong legacy at Dartmouth if that helps my chances there at all

By Washer50 (Washer50) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:49 pm: Edit

also, 4 fantastic teacher recommendations, people tell me very effective essays, school is well known and nationally renowned, class size is about 580

By Washer50 (Washer50) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:16 pm: Edit

ANYBODY!!?!!?!?!?! I want to either feel better about myself or prepare myself for dissapointment, the decision comes in 2 weeks!!!

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:37 pm: Edit

too bad about your junior grades and sat2's... if those were strong I'd say you could count on a letter from at least one of the two... as of now I'd say you have about a 30% shot at either. (which is still VERY impressive) I'd recommend retaking your math sat2 (take IIC!). With an 800 in math SAT1 there is no reason you can't score 700s on IIC.

By Washer50 (Washer50) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Yeah, I agree entirely. I retook the SAT II Math IC, but I took Literature (looking back, I have no idea why) with it also. This was in October. As soon as I left the test, I knew I had to cancel the literature score, but little did I know if I canceled the lit score, I had to cancel the math score also. So I was left with my first Math score, the 690, so I'll just have to run with what I have. Re the Junior year grades, does it help if my school submitted my senior year grades to both schools (this first semester I've pulled out straight A's)? Thanks for the input.

By squasher on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 07:18 pm: Edit

aah Chris Rosser is it? I think I played you once. Were you at the Concord Acton Open?

By Washer50 (Washer50) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 07:59 pm: Edit

yeah, who are you?

By Gregon on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 09:49 pm: Edit

70%

By sadf on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:14 pm: Edit

How difficult was the Literature?

By Washer50 (Washer50) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 12:10 am: Edit

horrible, probably with some studying it wouldn't be as bad, but I walked into the test not knowing what was on it, which was a really bad idea. And as soon as they started coming at me with Shakespearean sonnets, I just zoned out. That stuff isn't gonna hold my attention at 9 on a Saturday morning. But whichever, I'm paying for it now.

By Washer50 (Washer50) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 12:32 am: Edit

anyone else?

By Washer50 (Washer50) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 03:24 pm: Edit

am I not getting tons of response because I'm being too anxious about the whole thing?

By Washer50 (Washer50) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:00 pm: Edit

come on...

By f on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:42 pm: Edit

f

By Even-keeled on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:41 pm: Edit

I really dont think you should allow your emotions to be swayed by this board. Nice ECs though

By washer on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 10:56 pm: Edit

well, I hope I have that different quality, we'll see what happens in a couple of weeks

By g-bundler on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 10:06 pm: Edit

bumping this •••• once more

By Truth on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 10:37 pm: Edit

u have a relatively good chance of getting into those schools. But you have problems in a couple of areas. First SAT IIs, which you no are low for those schools. Second, i dont no who told your ECs were great. When i look at that long grocery list, i getting no feeling that you were passionate about these ECs. You just wanted to stack up a list. It looks like you put very little effort into these ECs and were not active in them. Regardless if you were extremely active in them, i commend you but the way you potrayed it seemed like you did not try extremely hard in them. In addition, you have no EC that stands out or is unique. You know how many applicants have the same stuff you do. A dime a dozen is how many. Whatever thats my opinion. Keep us updated on ur results. gluck

By georgia on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 12:23 am: Edit

I think the ivy leagues are over rated.

By washer on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:01 am: Edit

appreciate the comments, agree entirely with you gluck, it doesn't look passionate partly because it is just a grocery list, but I provided plenty of background with the college, and wrote essays on my biggest committments, squash, rugby, and the VP of class, so hopefully they see that. but thanks, results come in a week

By gb on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 09:15 pm: Edit

bumper

By gb on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:27 pm: Edit

bumper

By adam on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 04:12 am: Edit

so this is what you do online at 3 in the morning...do we even have a debate team? i didnt know you were on the track team? Shame you got Nields for AP US, cho and u def would have gotten the A...hahaha. See you in school rosser

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page