Anyone Brave Enough to EVALUATE ME?!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Anyone Brave Enough to EVALUATE ME?!
By Texan (Texan) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

i thought id start a new one...

Hey Im from Texas...and I really really really want to go to rice. My SAT scores were about a 1300 and will take the sat2s in october. im not top 10%. I lived in a foreign country for ninth grade, so it kind of messed up my academics. But I have been successful in Science Fair, and won at Latin Nationals competitions. I also am StuCo VP and NHS Secretary. Im really involved with school and community service....what are my chances in getting accepted at rice? do you think my extra curricular could make up for my academcs or is Rice ALL about academics? and do you think it is better for me to go with the ED plan?

Well here is some of my awards...

Science Fair
At regionals:
2002 - 2nd Grand Place (team) with $26000 to St Mary's
2003 - 2nd Grand Place (team) with $26000 to St Mary's and $1000 to Incarnate Word
-2nd grand place was one place away from qualifying for internationals (both times)

History Fair
2003 2nd Place Group Exhibit

National Junior Classical League

Area:
Greek Derivatives - 1st Place
Pentathlon - Summa Cum Laude
Greek Derivatives - 1st Place
Pentathlon - Maxima Cum Laude

State:
Greek Derivatives - 2nd Place
Pentathlon - Maxima Cum Laude
Greek Derivatives - 2nd Place
Sight Recitation 4th Place
Computer Enhanced Digital Photography 2nd Place
Pentathlon - Magna Cum Laude

Nationals
Computer Enhanced Digital Photography 1st Place
Sight Recitation 4th Place
Poster 8th
Greek Derivatives 11th Place

and...
I lived in India for my ninth grade...learning a lot of cultural arts and traditions
I am the Student Council Vice President, NHS Corresponding secretary, Indo-American Youth Association VP (2 years) and webmaster. I maintain a website for the club too.

does that help?

By Texan (Texan) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:03 am: Edit

come on

By Istalam (Istalam) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Honestly your scores need to improve drastically. Rice is impossible. As an applicant i have a 1540 and i am National Champion MUN for 3 years in a row. My Grandfather's business partner is on the Board of Trustees, and my grandfather was a visa sponsor for a professor there, and im still scared if ill get in. Improve your scores. Everything else besides GPA is ok.

By Texan (Texan) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

thanks for the opinion i want some more

By Butrfly212 (Butrfly212) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:49 am: Edit

Rice is very academic, so eventhough you seem to be very active in the EC's (lots of awards), strong test scores will probably be your best bet for an admit

By Texan (Texan) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

thanks again...but i think im gonna have to keep that 1300...because im taking the 2's in oct...any more suggestions? anything else i can do to the application to substitute the grades/test scores?

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

You have a very slight chance.What major are you considering.If it's engineering and you have good math scores and can get 800's on the 2c,chem or phy SAT II, you may have a better chance about(30%).Then it all depends on your essay.It is not completely impossible because Rice has an average SAT score of 1360-1390.Please eval my stats under:

Chances at RPI,MIT,U.MICH...

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 01:26 pm: Edit

GO FOR EA

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

I'd still retake the SAT1s again and if they are drastically improved send them to your first choice schools. If not, if you've already sent the first set, just keep them to yourself. This works well. So you can take them again later in the year after your app is sent in. They can't look at your app as soon as it hits the mailroom and they will update it with new SAT infor you can be sure. Look at Trinity in Texas as well. Also you have a great chance at alot of great schools as a classics major. You may want to investigate that possibility. You certainly have paid your dues in this area. Alot of schools are overstaffed in that department and need more students.
Take care and good luck

By Texan (Texan) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 07:01 pm: Edit

thanks everyone...this really helps. I was seriously thinking about applying for the school of humanities (perhaps asian studies, classical studies, religiosu studies, etc) because i truly am interested in that. please tell me if it would increase my chances compared to school of engineering(full of 1600s and valedictorians?). I really would do anything to get into rice. and as for SAT's i think I am going to take it again.. perhaps in november. (just not a good test-taker)

By Texan (Texan) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 01:31 am: Edit

*religious

...and i have strong recs from my latin teacher

By Texan (Texan) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

actually if you can tell me what more i need to do in order to emphasize my "classics/humanities" background that would be great

By Texan (Texan) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

bump

By Texan (Texan) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

please?

By Texan (Texan) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 01:02 pm: Edit

AP's ive taken:

AP English 3
Dual English 4 (AP teacher sucks)
AP Physics B
AP Computer Science A
AP Calculus AB
AP Calculus BC

By Dreadpirate (Dreadpirate) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Apply ED but retake the SAT 1's even after the ED deadline. If you are deferred you can submit the new scores for RD if they are higher. Don't give up if you are waitlisted. Rice went to the waitlist this year. As you know, your biggest problem is that the rest of the country is beginning to discover what Texans have kept secret from everyone except the top grad schools and NASA. Undergrad education at Rice is about as good as it gets.

By Texan (Texan) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:49 am: Edit

yea i probably will take the sat in jan (after i find out about ED) but should i apply for teh school of humanities(latin nationals, fluency in 4 languages, lived in a foriegn country blah blah) as opposed the the school of engineering (science fair, clubs, vigorous math classes)

By Texan (Texan) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 12:52 am: Edit

bump

By Texan (Texan) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:00 am: Edit

the essay is about how you can enhance Rice with your personal experiences and cultural traditions...any advice?

By Texan (Texan) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

?

By Texan (Texan) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:34 pm: Edit

bump

By Texan (Texan) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 09:54 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 10:45 pm: Edit

I think I heard somewhere that Rice's average SAT score is about 1410-1440. ~75% of the class of 2007 scored 1350+, so you should definitely consider retaking it.

Oh yeah, the engineering department here is NOT all vallys and sallys. If you are interested in humanities that's great, but don't be afraid to apply engi if that's where your interests lie.

Make your essay as personal as possible and emphasize open-mindedness. If you apply to the school of humanities, you may want to write about some sort of cultural experience you had that changed your outlook on life, or something of that nature.

Consider applying interim. That way you still show the admissions office that extra interest in rice but also have time to retake the sat in nov.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Sign up for a classics course at your community college. start going to cultural events emphasizing the classics, and mention them. You need to be different from the usual laundry list of ECs.
Visit Rice and schedule a visit with the Foreign Languages Department where classics is housed and ask some questions about what is offered (after you have perused the web site and view book so you don't ask stupid questions) Tell them how you love Rice and want to study classics and want to see what is offered there. And yes, it will help you a little. You won't be quite going head on against the top engineeringa, premed candidates.

By Texan (Texan) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

haha i think ive already memorized the website and eveyrhting...ive been emailing the professors in the humanities so im getting a lot of feedback

well since i lived in india, i was gonna write about that trip, how it affected me...

gonna mention that i speak like 5 languages (read and write in 4)...hopefully that should help

im gonna do early decision, but am planning to take the ACT's in october...so hopefully i do okay there...

By Texan (Texan) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Texan (Texan) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page