I'm not an Ivy League School candidate..but I want your opin

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: I'm not an Ivy League School candidate..but I want your opin
By Kevin on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:30 am: Edit

GPA: 3.47 unweighted
SAT: V650 M610

Full IB (honors)
Grade Trend from 3.0-3.3 avg in freshmen and first 1/2 of sophmore year to 3.67 avg in second 1/2 of sophmore year and junior year

Leader of praise band for Church for two years, drummer for two years.

Hip Hop Club Treasurer and Vice President

JV Wrestling and volunteer assistant for junior highschool wrestling team coach

Professional musician (emcee/producer)

Couple other activities here and there

Essay:

In 7th grade, Marcy Parris called me an ugly bastard. Not only did her words destroy my self-esteem, but they became buried inside of me. From her trivial comment stemmed insecurities which gradually stripped me of control over my own life. I allowed a single force, being the way I am perceived by others, to dictate the way I speak and the way I act. On that typical, rainy Sunday, I walked home from Marcy's house with no notion of what lay ahead in my life. I would never have guessed I'd travel to hell and back.

Marcy kept insisting it was a joke, and some days I'd believe her. Other days I wouldn't. In 8th grade I used to sit in front of my mirror while staring, no, glaring into my own eyes, asking myself whether I was ugly or being overly self-conscious. These internal dilemmas evolved into daily sessions, and I began questioning larger and more important aspects of my life. I quit attending Church regularly, concluding that I could not love a God if I could not love myself. I discontinued my piano, guitar, and cello lessons because I believed that music was merely an escape route from the truth. From 9th to the beginning of 10th grade, I had no motivation to study, because success was something for self, and I hated myself. Self-hatred led to the hatred of others, and simply put, I was the meanest kid on the block. Even today it seems logical why I gave up every passion I had; I had nothing to live for, because I hated living with myself.

Then in 10th grade, I was introduced to lyricism and the art of emceeing. I found Hip-Hop. Because the culture was more communal than individual, I was able to poetically share my pain through others. I began composing my own music, expressing myself melodically. I rediscovered myself. The music I created was not like the music I played in Junior High School, because it was a form of self-expression rather than a mere talent. My love for the art form

dominated my self-hatred. I rediscovered a passion that occupied my mind with satisfaction instead of those haunting dilemmas. I began loving myself again. I began achieving outstanding grades, simply because I was able to. I embarked on a search for self, and found the true beauty that lay within me. I returned to my Church and worshipped God for saving me. At 16, I knew the meaning and purpose of my life.

Marcy's comment was the best thing to ever happen to me. Whether I'm wrestling with my fellow teammates, leading my fellow Church members in praise or recording live instrumentation in the studio, I'm completely aware of what I do and why I do it. There exists nothing that can bring me down again. I continue to follow my academic and musical passions, and I continue to amaze others (and myself as well) with all the potential that still remains right up my sleeve. I've learned to have true sympathy and love for people, because I've been through the hardships. I'm a leader, I am focused, and I'm determined to live out my dreams rather than dream them. Now, sleepless nights are caused by the adrenaline that
pumps through me while thinking of an upcoming performance.

Thanks to Marcy's words, I was able to lose myself and find myself with greater understanding; and I know that wherever I go in life, I will succeed.

I KNOW my stuff isn't IVY LEAGUE material but I was wondering if yall think with my stuff I can get into:

University of Washington
University of Southern California

By Kevin on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:33 am: Edit

by the way my class rank is
46 of 436

By Kevin on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:35 am: Edit

by the way the essay question was

"Describe an experience in your life that demonstrates your character or helped shape it"

By Person on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 03:58 pm: Edit

My friend goes to University of South California. He was a total idiot. Seriously. You'll get in, in my opinion.

Being full IB is certainly very good and your SAT score is okay as well, nevertheless, treasurer of a hip-hop club can be seen as a good thing or a bad thing...

Good luck!

By Seattlite on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:46 pm: Edit

UW is a reach with that GPA, In-staters with 3.7s and a 1100 don't even bother applying and UW weighs GPA three times more than SAT scores. I'd count yourself as lucky to get in at UW.

By kevin on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 09:55 pm: Edit

ouch

By Timmy1 on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:36 pm: Edit

i agree that you probably don't have a great shot at UW... Your SATs and grades are subpar i believe for that school, however, i did like/enjoy your essay. Of the many essays i've read on this board, yours probably was one of the more interesting,.. risky, .. but definitely well-written and interesting... you probably have a good chance at USC, anyway, good luck, i hope everything works out for you

By kevin on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:49 pm: Edit

does it make a difference if i'm a washington state resident?

oh another thing..i have NEVER heard of people sayin that UW is harder to get into USC...most people i know claim that USC is my reach and UW is more for me, i dont know.

do you think they'll look at my grade trends?

thanks

By seattlite on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 02:09 am: Edit

BIG DIFFERENCE!! UW is a land-grant college. It is state-funded and is mandated to enroll a specific percentage () of its' students from in-state. This makes it tough to get in from the outside, but it is not a cakewalk inside the state either because of our population boom and UW being the most prestigious U between Berkeley and the midwest. A friend of a friend in-state had a 3.4 or 3.5 Full IB and quote "good" SAT scores, not sure excatly, and was wait-listed and eventually rejected at UW.

I could not give you a definitive answer on your chances at UW though, I can not say without reviewing your entire app, but for only $36, I say definetely take the shot. It is a wonderful university. Beautiful campus, secluded within downtown Seattle. Wonderful place to live. I'm biased though.

By seattlite on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 02:10 am: Edit

Oops. "mandated to enroll a specific percentage () of its' students from in-state"

in between the brackets should have been (85-90%)

By kevin on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 02:58 am: Edit

it's strange..

i don't doubt your accuracy..but at the same time..

I LIVE in edmonds, yeah, right next to seattle...I had friends that had 3.5's and 1100's get accepted into UW..NO IB..

maybe i'm just tryna boost my own self confidence

lol

thanks for the help though seattlite

and yeah, its a BEAUTIFUL campus.

By seattlite on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:33 pm: Edit

No matter what apply. My only feeling is to not count it as a definite safety school. It's a good match, and in light of what you said about your friends, I'd probably give you around a 70-85%? chance of acceptance. Actually, a little higher with your essay, probably 80-90%. Either way, apply now if you have not already done so. the earlier you send it in, the earlier you get an asnwer back, UW has rolling admissions.

Good luck!!!

By Timmy1 on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:47 pm: Edit

oops, i'm sorry for my bad advice, i for some reason thought you were talking about wash u in st. louis, nevermind

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page