To Send or not to send, your take on the issue.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: To Send or not to send, your take on the issue.
By One on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:17 am: Edit

Situation: the college does not require SAT IIs, but (in italics nonetheless) recommends them.

Your Situation: You took the SAT IIs and recieved just average scores. The rest of your application is top notch

Your Dilemma: Send the SAT II scores, showing the you took their recommendation seriously and risk having them ruin your chances, or not send them leaving a question mark in the minds of admissions officials about why someone with your credentials did not take them?

Your take?

By justanopinion on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:24 am: Edit

send

By pizzaluvr on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:26 am: Edit

don't send, but take the january test and send those (are still valid for regular decision) and study your ass off during winter break

By munchyM&M on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 01:49 am: Edit

i think it would help to have more specific information...but generally I agree with pizz

By munchyM&M on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 01:49 am: Edit

i think it would help to have more specific information...but generally I agree with pizz

By MIT Mom on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Northwestern is one of the places that "recommends" taking the "optional" SAT IIs. During an on-campus information session, the Admissions Officer said (and I quote), "Please don't send us your SAT II test scores if they're below 650."

I would recommend getting some good SAT II Prep books (I like the Princeton Review books for the sciences, math, and writing), STUDY, PRACTICE, and retake the tests in January.

By Mike on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:01 pm: Edit

I agree with trying to take them again if you have the chance. Best of luck anyway.

MIT Mom:
Do you happen to know how good the Princeton Review "World History+US History book" is? Your help is appreciated. :-)

By MIT Mom on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Mike,
My high schooler only took Math, Sciences, and Writing SAT IIs, so I don't know anything specifically about the Princeton Review SAT II History books. However, we have consistently liked the Princeton Review books better than the others. In my opinion, the PR books explain the material better and have better sample tests with good explainations of the answers.

For my high schooler, the PR books always produced average SAT II scores in the upper 700s.

Good luck!

By One on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 02:16 am: Edit

for specifics, 3.95 UW GPA, 1540 SATI, 750 Math IIC, 600 Writing, 630 History.

I will re-take Writing in Jan and was thinking about trying physics as well. Has anyone else tried to study for the physics SAT II and done well. It has been five/six months since my physics class ended. I'm worried that I'm rusty. I'll study, but not sure if It will be enough to crack 700.

By gazer on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 02:02 pm: Edit

MIT Mom and others: What do you think of this?

For Northwestern --
Applicant has: 36 ACT; 1490 SAT (780 M; 710 V); and on SAT IIs -- 800 Math IIc; 800 French; 780 Writing

If the SAT IIs are sent, the SAT I will be sent which, although strong, is not as strong as the ACT? Do we send the "optional but strongly recommended SAT IIs?"

By MIT Mom on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 02:22 pm: Edit

First of all, let me qualify this by saying I am not a qualified admissions officer. However, I think the SAT I scores are fine. The 1490 composite is in the top 25% of Northwestern's admits. (25/75 percentile = 1290/1470). And in combination with the 36 ACT (WOW!), the test scores look pretty good to me. The SAT IIs are super.

For what School at Northwestern is the application?

However, my best advice would be to call the Admissions Office at Northwestern and ask to speak with a real Admissions Officer. Ask which test scores they'd rather see and how they would evaluate the scores if receiving both SAT I/II and ACTs.

Good luck!

By gazer on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 03:06 pm: Edit

Wow, thanks for the truly prompt reply. I think we should call once the crush of early decision is behind them. The School at Northwestern is the College of Arts and Sciences with no specific major in mind, other than a general interest in international studies, foreign languages and economics. We are keeping our fingers crossed for early decision at Yale and Harvard, but are realistic about the arbitrariness of those decisions. He has many other applications out, including NU for regular decisions, and a couple of safeties still to go. Isn't this fun?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page