Homeschooler w/ ? for Mr. Berry

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Homeschooler w/ ? for Mr. Berry
By Marie on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Mr. Berry, have you worked with many homeschoolers? Do you have any general advice regarding improving my chances at schools that may not have much experience with homeschoolers, and with unschoolers in particular?

My mom & I have put together a transcript that looks typically "schoolish" but I think that I should emphasize the unstructured and self-directed nature of my education. Finally, I took the ACT last winter and scored a 32. I plan to take it again after my 17th birthday, and hope to raise my score to at least a 34. I live in the south, and plan to apply to mainly southern and midwestern colleges. Should I also take the SAT 1?

Thank you.

By Dave Berry on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 11:21 am: Edit

Hi, Marie. Frankly, I haven't worked with many homeschoolers, but the principles of college admissions are pretty much the same for them (and you). In a nutshell, you have to make a convincing marketing presentation of yourself, emphasizing your ability to handle the schools' workload and telling them why you would make a significant addition to their student body.

Taking the SAT would prove valuable as a comparision to your ACT score, unless your target schools are classic ACT-preferred institutions. You can do some excellent SAT self-prep with any number of good prep books out there.

Bottom line for you, Marie: You need to define what you want in a college, find some good candidates, and then set out to sell yourself and your uniqueness through convincing applications. Let me know if you need professional help with your search and application process. Best wishes on your college quest.

By Ralf on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Marie, just out of curiosity, why did your parents decide to homeschool you?--and how exactly does a 'home-school' curriculum work?

By Mr.E on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Marie, I guess you're the right person to ask: Is it true that racial discrimination still abounds in the Deep South? I'm an international applicant and I have been advised against applying to many southern schools for this reason.

By asd on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Bump

By associatehustler on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Mr.E,
I live in Alabama. It's pretty rare. Although all my older relatives are pretty racist, my younger aunts and uncles and most of my cousins are not, and my family is really conservative about that sorta thing. Racism is dying/dead down here.

By associatehustler on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:19 pm: Edit

but imo the north/midwest beats the south in everything about college except girls :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page