Who considers Cal prestigious?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Who considers Cal prestigious?
By JJ on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 09:22 pm: Edit

I'm from Cali and have pretty decent stats. I'd probably get into cal. The problem is that I really want to go to a "prestigious" school (my top choice is Georgetown) but I probably can't afford it. My family is in that range where we don't make quite enough money for a private school but make too much money to get any financial aid. Who here considers Cal to be a prestigious school?

By caltech on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:18 pm: Edit

u mean cal tech?
definitely a prestigious school

By wee on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 01:33 pm: Edit

You need to be more specific.. Cal... CalTech is certainly a very prestigious school; it's on top of my list, but I probably won't get in because of my poor English (second language). Then there are two of the largest college systems in the nation: University of California and California State University. I am applying to UC Berkeley, UC Davis, CSU San Jose, and CalPoly (also CSU) for engineering... berkeley and calpoly have great engineering programs. Davis and SJSU aren't bad either. UC San Diego and UC Los Angeles are also good.

By StupidassPeople on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Cal means UC Berekely. Come on, everybody knows that, you guys are idiots.

By Cal hopeful on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Yes, Berkeley is pretigious. Just ask any out-of-stater trying to get in.

By JJ on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Yeah I meant Cal as in Berkeley

By hoyasaxa hopeful on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Did you apply early action to Georgetown? I too am a Georgetown hopeful from California. What are your stats and EC's? As far as Cal goes, it was just ranked the number 1 public school in the country and I think that I could get in too, but I hate the campus and the entire environment and philosophy of the school. GT is my number 1 all the way!

By JJ on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Hoyasaxa, I'm a junior so I haven't applied yet, but I really want to go to Georgetown. My SAT I is 1460 (740 Verb and 720 Math), and up through first quarter of my junior year my weighted GPA is about 4.2 and unweighted is 4.0. Haven't taken SAT II's yet, but I hope that they'll be around the same as my SAT I. 75th percentile SAT I for Georgetown is 1450, so I feel somewhat confident, but my EC's aren't spectacular. Varsity golf, president of Speech and Debate team, News Editor for school paper, student gov. How does that sound to you, think I have a chance? Like you, I'm not thrilled about Berkeley. It's a good school but it's too BIG for me. Especially for a probable Political Science major like me, I wan't class discussions.

By CalBear on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 12:26 am: Edit

Anybody who says Cal isnt prestigious, is a dumb and should die! Just kidding. But, honestly, Berkeley's admissions are erratic as well because my friend got into HPYSand Dartmouth, but not UC Berkeley. I got into Dartmouth, Yale and Stanford but I decided on Berkeley in the end because there is no education in the country that is better for its price. Cal is strong in every department, plus I am paying 4500 a year for my undergraduate education, and that is absolutely ridiculously low. I love Cal and I have never regretted my decision!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page