SAT vs. Grades

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: SAT vs. Grades
By bella on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:22 pm: Edit

whats better
1500, 740 avg for II and one B+ for all high school in BC calc junior year
OR
A in calc, 1500, 700 avg.;
i'm in my junior year and i think itd be alot easier to just concentrate on those II's and do really well, i just cant get past that b+ point in Calc. so what should i try for? (i kno best is a's and high scores) i'm lookin at schools like Gtown, rice

By Junho (Junho) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:27 pm: Edit

i would say go for the A.
If you look at college websites they usually say that the high school transcript is the most important. Also sometimes SAT 2s aren't even looked at by some colleges so look into Gtown and rice and see what they require or what their priorities are. Good luck!

By Richard from FL on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:37 pm: Edit

I'd say the opposite, there is little difference between a 3.9X and a 4.0. However, your SAT 2's do go into your AI, and in the case of the OP, his SAT 2's reflect the validity of his A's. There is a substantial difference between the way an adcom would look at a 670 and a 770 on an sat 2 test. I would assume any ~4.0 student would be applying to colleges that require sat 2's, or at least encourage (what a euphemism) them to be submitted. Optional SAT 2's are to the effect of an optional interview or essay. If you are interested enough in the school, you will do it.

By Richard from FL on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Oh and Rice weighs SAT scores as much as SAT 1's, if not moreso. Don't be fooled by poor advice. I'm a well researched PRer who has talked to my fair share of college reps and even a few people who work in admissions offices. I know my stuff.
Sure your grades are #1, but that is no excuse to ignore #2-10! In fact, I would recommend skipping a day of school to study for your SAT 2's. Thats what I did for the SAT 1 (i got a 1520), and it helped me a lot. I just stayed home and took practice tests. Id recommend the PR books as well as Real SAT 2's, and Strunk and White's Elements of Style and Up Your Score for the writing. For your third test, take either Bio, Chem or USH (if you have taken those AP's). If you haven't done any of those AP's take literature, its a reading comprehension test. Good luck!

By Richard from FL on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:46 pm: Edit

Oh and take Math 2C and Writing, thats a given...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page