Do I have a shot at any ivy league school?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Do I have a shot at any ivy league school?
By trev223 on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:19 pm: Edit

question: Hi, I was looking through my college lists and have seen that
majority of them are "reaches" and very competitive to get into. I did get
into my safety school though, but my dream had always been to attend
Harvard, Dartmouth, or Brown. Do you think I have any shot with these stats:
1370 (750M,650V, taking again), 680 USHIST, 700 Math IIc, 750 Writing, ecs:
Varsity football (JV captain), JV wrestling, blackbelt in TaeKwonDo, won a
couple tournaments and medals as well, treasurer for local Church Yourth
Group, volunteered at inner-city Library, helping kids learn to read,
science museum tour guide, a couple clubs, and some other minor things. I
also helped out at my parents' grocery store in Philly during my
freshman-junior years in high school. (it was a family obligation), my
parents didn't go to high school, and I come from a low income family. I
attend a pretty competitive high school and my teachers say that I wrote a
very strong essay about my relationship with my sister. But here is the
catch: I only have a 3.3 unweighted GPA. Even though I took the most
demanding courseload (APs/honors) Rank Top 30%, my parents and friends think
that I should settle for a state school, which I already got into. Tell me I
have somewhat of a chance.

By Richard from FL on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Nope... Maybe if you had a 1500+ and all 700+ scores with those stats. Not top 25% will kill you.
The only place you have an outside shot at is Cornell, and you would have to apply to a public school.

P.S. Prestige can be found in places other than the ivy league. Look at the bottom of the USNews Tier 1 schools (about 30-50) and the LACs from 20 down. I'm sure you will find a good place.

One school that comes to mind is Colgate... Its a very ivy atmosphere, but it is less selective than the ivies. your stats are about average for them (lower GPA/Higher SAT).

By Liz (Liz) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 03:25 pm: Edit

For dartmouth - if you retook the SAT's and got a perfect 1600, you would still only be an academic 4 (on a 1-9 scale). If I read admissions confidential correctly, only something like 11% of all 4's are admitted (usually they are have some REALLY GOOD reason for that ranking, like they switched schools sophomore year and the new school had more honors-level classes, so they were behind in class rank through no fault of their own.) But you said you were from a low-income family, first-generation college - that would mean something to most colleges. At least apply to your dream schools, but remember that there are great schools out there besides Harvard, Brown, and Dartmouth.

By trev223 on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 07:13 pm: Edit

My list: Brown, Dartmouth, Harvard, Tufts, BC, Georgetown, NYU, Penn State, William and Mary, Middlebury, JHU, UNC-CH, Michigan. I really don't want to go anywhere else besides these choices. Do I have a chance at Michigan out-of-state?

By t19 on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 11:58 am: Edit

What race are you? If you are white, you don't have a great chance at the Ivy League. But nationwide less than 1% of black people score above 1200 on the SAT, so a 1370 would be way up in the stratosphere (although I am sure there are plenty of blacks who have better credentials than you in every category you listed). I know a black with 1250 who got into Harvard. He was exactly identical to my white friend in every way (they lived in the same neighborhood) except that my white friend got 1600. The white was rejected. You have a good chance at Michigan regardless of race (race is usually a kind of tip-factor).

By trev223 on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 11:33 pm: Edit

bump

By trev223 on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 12:56 pm: Edit

bump

By me on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:06 pm: Edit

I say you have a chance at each school, but not a very good one. While your EC's are respectable, they show no achievement on the state or national levels. Couple that with relatively low scores, GPA and rank and your chances are slim.

I don't want to sound to pessimistic, since you are a first generation college student, from a low income family, who has taken plenty of AP's. That will most definitely help your chances. Still, if it is your dream to attend Harvard, apply. If you get rejected, go to a state school, work your ass off and transfer.

Harvard- 5-10%
Dartmouth/Brown- 10-20%

By trev223 on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:21 pm: Edit

Brown, Dartmouth, Harvard, Tufts, BC, Georgetown, NYU, Penn State (in), William and Mary, Middlebury, JHU, UNC-CH, Michigan, UVA, CMU are my schools. Rate them reach, match, safes

By sage on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Your math sucks. 750+650=1370?

By me on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Ultra reach- Harvard
Reach- Brown, Dartmouth, Georgetown, UNC-Ch, UVA,CMU, JHU
Match-NYU, Tufts, BC, Michigan, W&M
Safety- Penn State
Don't know much about Middlebury, but I would get some safeties.

UNC-Chapel and UVA are EXTREMELY hard to get into out of state, so they are reaches. I would cut your reaches in half and tack on some more safeties. 14 schools is a lot heh?

By trev223 on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:37 pm: Edit

oops. 750+620=1370

By quicklube on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:45 pm: Edit

News for all of you: It doesn't matter WHERE you go to college. Researchers have followed students who were accepted to Ivy League colleges but instead went to state schools. The results showed they made the same salaries as those with comparable admissions qualifications at Ivy League institutions. A report from the National Bureau of Economic Research summarizes the finidings at http://papers.nber.org/papers/w5613

The lesson? Don't waste your time or money worrying about Ivy League college. After all, an Ivy League college doesn't do anything or have any effect on the student, at least not compared to any other college. You could take all those kids who go to Harvard and send them to a boot camp and they would still have higher test scores 4 years later.

It's not the college, stupid...it's the student.

By trev223 on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:45 pm: Edit

do you think I can get into Tufts or Michigan

By me on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 06:20 pm: Edit

I think you stand a very good shot at both. You probably have a better chance at UMich than Tufts, but definitely a good chance at both.

By trev223 on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 09:44 pm: Edit

bump

By Pearlie on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 11:27 pm: Edit

I am a high school sophomore and am just starting to find a college that would suit me, so I am pretty clueless on what most schools have to offer. Could anyone tell me Dartmouth's specilities (like humanities or sciences), and also what GPA, SAT I, and SAT II scores are generally needed to be granted admission? Also, with what I have going, what do I have to do to get in there?
GPA: 4.6 (weighted/4.0 unweighted)
-VERY involved in Model United Nations--have a leadership role in it
-taking AP European History as well as an honors history and honors english class
-debate club treasurer
-Future Scientists of America club secretary
-in Drama II and Drama Club
-member of international Thespians
-member of CSF
-have won mounerous academic awards, most of them dealing with either english or history rather than math or science

By trev223 on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 10:29 pm: Edit

bump

By Penistar on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Because of your test scores and GPA, the best school you'll get into is a state university. Sorry...try harder.

By trev223 on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 09:22 pm: Edit

I already got into my state school. Are you serious?

By trev223 on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:20 pm: Edit

bump

By trev223 on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 10:54 pm: Edit

bump

By help on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 11:23 pm: Edit

trev223, you have a great shot at top schools...ivy's will definately be tough just because so many people are applying. You can get into a lot of other tier 1 private universities/colleges so just apply, you'll get into to at least one reach!

By Thebumblybee (Thebumblybee) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 12:47 am: Edit

Hey I am going to be a highschool junior and am beginning to look at colleges. I attend a very competitive boarding school and am very active in sports and clubs... Heres my list so far:

Forensics- captain
Key Club- Editor, President
S.A.D.D.- Vice President
Red Sheild Society
Fencing
Crew (coxswain)
Student Council

I really want to attend Dartmouth but am skeptical at my chances. Sophmore year my overall average was an 89.6 only because of my one chemistry grade which was a low b, otherwise I would have a 92.4 average. I have about a 1360 SAT score, which I hope to raise to at least a 1400. I have been taking the most competitive classes so far in highschool. Next year I will be taking 2 sciences (both physics and ap bio) and all others honors and ap classes. I am concerned about doing well next year. What grades should I aim for to get accepted into Dartmouth?

By Ivydreamer (Ivydreamer) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Im currently a sophomore in highschool and am already in the college frame of mind. Ive always wanted to go to university of pensylvania a very good ivy league college. My freshmen year gpa was 3.7. Im very involved in the school. Im in the women and science and engineering club, interact, habitat for humanity, future business leaders of america and french club just to name a few. I also participate in the academin challenge competions and am a member of science olympiad. I hope to work harder this yea in getting a better gpa and plan on taking the psat's. Am i heading in the right direction? Do i have a good shot at going to be dream school?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page