What are my chances for UPenn, UChicago, UMich, Vanderbilt,

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: What are my chances for UPenn, UChicago, UMich, Vanderbilt,
By Junho (Junho) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Here is my college list
UPenn, UChicago, UMich, Washington U in St. Louis, Vassar, Vanderbilt, Colgate, Indiana U, Emory, and Duke

GPA: 4.00 W 3.58 UW (Senior Year)
GPA: 3.3 W 3.1 UW (Junior Year)
GPA: 3.9 UW (Sophomore Year)
Moved to Private school for Junior year so my grades aren't that great...
Our school doesn't rank
Courses (Senior Year): AB Calc. AP, Senior English, Physics, Band, European HIstory AP, Statistics AP
(Junior Year): Pre Calc Honors, Psychology, Economics, Chem AP, Band, Junior English, Computer Science, Easter Traditions
SAT: 1300 --> Verbal 600, Math 700
ACT: 31 ---> English: 24, Math: 34, Reading: 30, Science: 35
SAT 2: Math 2c: 670, Chemistry: 660, Writing, 570
TOEFL: 287 out of 300
AP Chemistry: 3
Citizenship: South Korea
Residence: South Korea
Sex: Male
School: Private
Extracurriculars: Gold Key President (Admissions Assistant), Asian Quilt Co-Chief Editor (Asian culture magazine), Residential Advisor (selected), Conduct Review (selected by deans to serve on a board to review school rules), Tae Kwon Do Club Captain, Exchange Student Experience, Volunteering (At least 50 hours)

By Junho (Junho) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Can somebody respond plz...
I really need to know..

By Richard from FL on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 07:57 pm: Edit

why the bad scores... those will kill you, especially the low sat 2 average on top of a 1300, at least at penn, chicago cares little and doesnt require 2's its more your essay. In state UMICH should not be an issue, out of state it might be, although id say you have a good chance. Vandy will be hard for you because of your scores, but its possible. I would say 40%

By Jesse on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 08:00 pm: Edit

I'm applying to UPenn ED. I think you are a pretty strong candidate, but definitely UPenn, UChicago, and Duke will be reaches. Write some smashing essays, coupled with some good recs and your chances will increase greatly. I would think you'll get into Indiana U and Colgate no problem...Trust yourself and go for your goal...

By munchyM&M on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 10:10 pm: Edit

My poor Korean skills revealed itself through that incident.

decided the next time I hear “Jumok”; I would do as the word tells me to.

I think that sharing your embaressment make the reader feel sympathetic and that you have a strong essay in general; however the ending is pretty typical. Try to make it more unique. The reader does not need you to tell them the moral of the story so much. Show it to them. Make it stand out more.

Additionally you need to polish the piece as a whole-the following sentences specifically caught my eye as needing some work...often you just need to clarify because the reader can tell what yo mean but, they do not want to have to figure it out...I suggest you take it to an english teacher or someone for help with grammar...oooo, and also I'd ellaborate more on why I was angry at who when just to ensure that nothing is misread.

made every effort to change the Jun-Ho Lee from
America to Jun-Ho Lee from Korea.

Now as I gain age and knowledge, I am aware of many more flaws in me.

After moving into a new school to a new group of friends, new environment, I once again felt the similar urge to make mistakes as I did upon my arrival back at home to Korea. I was tempted to relax too much at the rigorous challenge of Cranbrook Kingswood School.

By chances on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:23 pm: Edit

UPenn=5%
Uchicago=ummm, 20%
Umich=90%
Emory=80%
Washington=20%
Duke=0%
Vanderbilt=85%

By Junho (Junho) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 07:04 pm: Edit

How much impact do extracurriculars have on my college choices? As you can see I have quite a few.

By Jag Senna on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Hey im just wondering u all, i have one more chance to take the tests before college, and Im wondering which to take, SAT1 or SAT2?
My SAT Score is 1430 (720M 710V) and my
SAT 2 score: 790Physics, 750Math2c and 650Writing
im almost certain I can do better on the SAT2 writing and the SAT1, as i have taken them only once. (i know, i left it late, that was stupid)

Which one is worth taking?

Im also minority living outside the US, what r my chances of getting in to top schools if i do improve my scores a bit? I have tons of ECAs and im confident with my teacher references.

By Junho (Junho) on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 06:42 pm: Edit

I'd say improve your math 2c and your writing, u can still take them on january

and one more suggestion
u should try to get ur own post i need some of this info

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page