Will this help or hurt me?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Will this help or hurt me?
By Rocktank3 (Rocktank3) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I plan on applying to several top schools including some ivy leagues. I was wondering, would the fact that I skipped sixth grade help or hurt me, and should I bring it up at all?

Thanks

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

It will kill your chances.

By Rocktank3 (Rocktank3) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 04:46 pm: Edit

If that was attemp at being funny, it really wasn't. I was looking for some serious feedback please.

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Don't bring it up at all. That far down in the school levels shouldn't really matter whether or not you will or will not get it.

By Aoe2guy (Aoe2guy) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Crypto: You bring up an interesting question that i was thinking about the other day: Is it better to have skipped a grade later on, say in high school, rather than an elementary grade? I think that skipping a grade, in most cases, should probably be seen as something special about the person (unless they skipped kindergarden-not that big of a deal). I mean, some people consider true genius to burgeon during childhood, and so if someone skips at an earlier age (like 6th grade) then that should be seen as a precocious achievement. Someone who skips 9th grade can be looked at someone who worked hard throughout middle school, got smarter, then finally attained the skill to skip a grade later on.

By Rocktank3 (Rocktank3) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 06:10 pm: Edit

bump

By Rocktank3 (Rocktank3) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 07:13 am: Edit

bump

By Rocktank3 (Rocktank3) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 02:21 pm: Edit

BUMP

By Rocktank3 (Rocktank3) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 09:21 am: Edit

BUMP

By Plopfkop (Plopfkop) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

At many schools it doesnt matter how hard you work, you aint skipping a grade. You have to have total mastery of every subject, effortless mastery. Getting A's has to be as easy as breathing (at least in the schools I'm familiar with). If you're slogging through and pulling straight A+'s, it still doesn't count. Plenty of Straight A students around, you need a special spark to skip a grade.

Note that for alot of people skipping an elementary school grade can just be a difference between the education standards of your elementary school vs. your middle school (your elementary school taught you in 6th grade the same stuff that they are teaching you in 7th grade for your middle school). Skipping a High School grade is a pie of a whole different flavor.

Sorry if that was somewhat incoherent

By Rocktank3 (Rocktank3) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 08:17 am: Edit

bump

By Ctrain890 (Ctrain890) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 08:33 am: Edit

To be an annoying idiot. WHy would you even ask such a stupid question, then continue to bump your worthless post up? It obviously isn't going to hurt you. The fact that you are an annoying, immature **** is what's going to kill your chances.

By Rocktank3 (Rocktank3) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 03:21 pm: Edit

Ok you are the ••••••. It isnt obviously going to help. Sometimes it can be considered a sign that you arent ready for college if you skip a grade, thats the ambiguity.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page