Cornell, Brown & Dartmouth - Chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Cornell, Brown & Dartmouth - Chances
By Candiced (Candiced) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:50 am: Edit

Interested in Yale, Dartmouth, Cornell, Brown and Penn

SATI-V 650 SATI-M650
SATII-Math IC 600
SATII-Writing 620
SATII-History 520

Girl from Kansas
OUTSTANDING EC's
VERY poor background
Parents did not attend college
First from my high school to apply to Ivies

DO I HAVE A CHANCE??????

By chex on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:52 am: Edit

are you hispanic/native american/black?
no. sorry.

By Liz (Liz) on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:54 pm: Edit

If you are a junior there is still time to save you. RAISE THE SCORES! I'm assuming you're valedictorian or close to it if you're the first to apply to the ivies. You'd need much better scores, though. Try to get your SAT 1450+ (all it takes is a little studying) and your SAT 2's 700+ and I'd definitely say you had a great shot, especially if you have the EC's you say you do. That's state and/or national recognition.

By Zarsks03 (Zarsks03) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Okay, so I'm a senior in high school and I really want to go to Cornell.

My standarized scores aren't great though. I got a 1250 on the SATs. I'm taking the SATIIs this Saturday. I got a "5" on the AP Calculus BC exam and a "3" on the AP US history exam. I have a 3.95 GPA in a magnet high school specialized in math, science and computer science. I do many academic and nonacademic extracurricular activities. But because of my SAT scores, I'm worried I won't get accepted. What does anyone think?

I also hold three offices, one in the Math National Honor Society, one in the National Honor Society and one in the Future Business Leaders of America. I also participate in two youth groups, one in my local church and another in my former Polish church.

Because I want to apply to the engineering program at Cornell, I work as an assistant draftsman at a civil engineering consulting firm.

I was also recognized as a Distinguished Scholar by my state because of my course selection. But how will SATs hurt my chances with all these other activities?

I forgot, I'm also fluent in Polish...if that means anything to the admission committee.

By Liz (Liz) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 06:36 pm: Edit

Start your own chance thread, it's rude to usurp someone else's.

By Emilyg9930 (Emilyg9930) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 06:47 pm: Edit

Go for it...colleges are so unpredictable...I'd say you have a very good chance! Keep your positive attitude. Good luck!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page