Questions about test scores, RSI, and Ivy chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Questions about test scores, RSI, and Ivy chances
By Nick on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 06:51 pm: Edit

How important are the test scores on college application? Not only SAT test scores. what about PSAt and APs??
Does anyone know about the RSI summer program for juniors at MIT? What kinda students they looking for?
Here are my stats, can anyone guess on my chances for RSI and good colleges like harvard, stanford , and MIT?

I am currently junior in tampa, FL. i am asian. guess that makes things a lil bit harder for me.

SAT I
650 v and 800 m
SAT II to be taken in JAn.. predicting 800 math 2c, 750-800 physics, and above 700 writing.

I am taking all the AP classes available.
in the IB program.
last year. i had 2 AP classes as sophmore.
AP stats 5
AP euro 4

EC:
swimming for 2 years, varsity. planning on swimming next year.
debate(district qualifier)
Student working against tobacco (vice prez)
student govt(advisory board)
Mu alpha theta (officers 10th and 11th grade)
State winner in 9th and 10th grade
national winner at 2002 national mu alpha theta converntion.
Qualifier for USAMO 10th grade
Participate of MOSP 10th grade summer.

Volunteering:
tutoring students who have trouble with math
tutoring students to prepare for Math competitions. Some of my students got great places.

what do you guys think??

--Nick

By Nick on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 11:06 am: Edit

oh yeah my ranking is 3 in the IB program.. UNweight GPA is 3.98.. weighted is like 5.7.. any guesses?
--NIck

By Nick on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 03:31 pm: Edit

anyone has any comments or anything??

By Palidors on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Yanga, RSI is sickly hard to get into. I have only known less than a handful of people to get in. I can personally recommend the Young Scholars Program at FSU. It's basically most of the top kids in Florida. Last year, me and a bunch of other top people from MAO went, I had the best time of my life. YSP isn't a piece of cake to get in, but I think you will prolly get in. RSI I think goes a lot on PSAT scores, i think they mostly look for scorers of 230+ with extremely high SAT scores etc. I think your Olympiad status might help some. I think your chances are okay, but I wouldn't bet on them. If you do decide to check out the FSU young scholars program, I can guarantee you will have tons and tons of fun (plus, most of the colleges, I know harvard does, recognize it as a great summer program). It's on scholarship too.

By palidors on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Plus, your stats are a lot like a friend of mine from plant, graduated a few years ago. He made the USAMO a year when it was really hard to make (no easy AMC like last year) was #1 rank, 1500 SAT and pretty much only did Mu Alpha Theta. He was really really smart. He was pretty much the top guy of his year with Darrin Gershman. He was on the tennis team with me, but he was no superstar at tennis played like #3 his senior year or something. He got denied at princeton and harvard and got into Duke

By NIck on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 06:08 pm: Edit

he got denied to Harvard?? that sucks... anyone know what it takes to get in??
Eli, are u applying to harvard? and good luck at math bowl. i will see u there. i qualified 4th in my school. heh i was sick that day... hopefully i will do a lot better at the actually competition.
anyone else knows about RSI??

-Nick

By Nick on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:57 pm: Edit

respond plz!?!

By palidors on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:04 pm: Edit

oops, i thought i that i had.
I am applying to Harvard, plenty of normal people get in every year, don't get discouraged. The best way to approach the whole college thing is to not be overly serious about it, if you don't get in somewhere its not that big a deal. I will be at mathbowl. I think the case I told you about was a freak thing, or maybe he bombed the essay, I dunno. I don't really know what they are looking for. We are fielding a very good team this year for mathbowl, i think the competition for first through 4th is gonna be stiff, with you,me, aaron and shuo

By Nick on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:27 pm: Edit

bump.. come on people??

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page