URM from MA..... Harvard EA?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: URM from MA..... Harvard EA?
By Minority (Minority) on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 05:14 pm: Edit

I posted this elsewhere but the discussion took an ugly turn..
Itís long but bear with me here... I want to know how far minority status and a humble socioeconomic background can take an applicant.

Neither of my parents went to college (father= 4th grade education, now a janitor) and I was born in the Dominican Republic (came here at age 3).What are my chances of getting into harvard EA (I plan to stay in MA, so other ivies donít matter much)? Keep in mind: Hispanic, 1st generation backgroundÖ Dumb down those sky-high standards!
Here's what I have to offer:
SAT 1350
SAT II's: 800 Latin, 770 WorldHist, 780 Spanish (will take math/ITALIAN soon..expect 750+..based on REAL SAT II practice tests)
5 AP World hist, didnt take course
Clearly I like languages... hope to take AP calc senior yr so Iím not a complete dud math-wise.

Junior yr schedule, at the most competitive public school in MA (Boston latin school: sends 10-15 kids to harvard each yr, school founded in 1635 TO SEND kids to harvard)
-4 APs (even though max is 3!)
AP Writ/lat/spa/us hist
-honors ELA
***NO SCIENCE~ a big deal??? ***
SENIOR YR: 4 AP'S
GPA: 4.4 weighted (no ranking given, but should be top 5%)

EC's: leadership pretty badÖtry to refrain from excessive laughter pleaseÖ
-Cañafisteros de Baní: org that raises money to help small village in dom. republic)
-100+ community service hrs
-Part time job: 10hrs a wk
-Tutoring 4 hrs a wk
-key club, a pre-engineering club, web design club (general officer), NHS hopefully
-baseball feen, no school sports tho.
-*took course at harvard summer school and received 4 credits

I read "A is for Admission" and it gave me (what i think is) false hope. The author mentioned how hispanics were being admitted with SAT scores way below the medians and with minimal ECs.
DO I REALLY HAVE A CHANCE (harvard EA)? I hope to have a glowing essay that draws on my disadvantaged background (the only thing that makes me stand out)...i know Iím nothing in comparison to others here, so BE HONEST.

By Liz (Liz) on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Great chance. Apparently the Latin SAT 2's supposed to be one of the hardest, so an 800 is VERY impressive. How did you get that 800? I take Latin at my school and love it but the teacher's reallllly slack and we don't learn much...got any tips?

By Minority (Minority) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:29 am: Edit

Thanks..well i took the sat2 after two yrs of latin with a hard teacher. When ppl ask me how I "get" latin i always say that i have an advantage because I know spanish and I see many similarities.

By Minority (Minority) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 04:24 pm: Edit

C'mon ppl

By CrimsonKid on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 01:43 am: Edit

Dear People,

I'm not sure whether I shall ever stumble on this list again, so I want to leave my thoughts in case I don't.

Getting into Harvard is not easy, and it happens to less than 1 in every 10 people who have thought about it seriously enough to apply. Not everyone has perfect scores, but in my first few months here, you'd be surprised if you could see just how many of my mates hover around my 1600 SAT I and 2380 SAT II scores. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being anal and just dropping my scores for self-glorification, but people here are really very different from the average Joe Bloggs.

I still don't really know what it might take to get in, however, user "balh" has almost hit it on the head in the posting thread "The Truth" above: you must be different from your mates in some solid way. There has to be something about you in your application that stands out as _different_, not necessarily superhuman or earthshattering.

And I suppose it takes some luck as well, although I like to think that rather than me being lucky to get in as a negative, which would imply there were others who deserved to get in MORE than me, I was lucky to have been substantially different in my thoughts, interests, acts and outlook to now be a Harvard undergraduate.

I would, however, like to leave you with a quote that sums up why the whole world wants to be here:

"I find that the Harvard name opens doors that most people never even know exist. Do not underestimate the power and prestige of this institution - getting into Harvard is a golden ticket that gives you the power to go practically anywhere you choose. Harvard has given me the room and resources to stretch myself out and to become more than I ever guessed that I could be." - The New York Times 2/17/02

Cheers, and all the best.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page