Can anybody please respond





Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Can anybody please respond
By alex123321 on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 01:45 pm: Edit

hey this is alex.
i am a white male who lives in new jersey
i was just wondering what my chances are of getting into penn state

SAT-1270 (math 670 verbal 600)
GPA- unweighted- 3.4(3.39312 to be exact)
weighted- 3.5
by the way, how do colleges look at your GPA?
do they round it up to the nearest tenth?

anyway, i have taken 7 honors and this year i am taking 3 AP classes

EC's
my foreign language for my 4 years in high school has been french which is tougher than what most people take(spanish) if that gives me an advantage or not
-speech and debate club
-national honor society
-french club
-varsity basketball
-varsity baseball(2 years all county)
-75 hours community service
-good recs

PS, i am retaking the SAT's and i WILL get my math to a 700 to achieve a cumulative 1300 score.

can i have a percentage chance at penn state, boston college, and boston university please?

thank you so much,
alex

By alex on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 03:39 pm: Edit

bump

By ... on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 10:09 pm: Edit

bump bump

By A. Guy on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Alex --

Unless you talking to an admissions officer from one of these schools, anything that you read here is going to be mere speculation by people guessing. Your guess is as good as any that you're going to hear here, so take it all with a grain of salt.

That said, the thing that is hurting you is your gpa. Perhaps your class rank is better than your gpa implies, but for the schools that you mention its going to put you lower in the competitive pile.

Penn State - 30-50% chance of admission. Your test scores put you in the top 25% of admitted so you would think that you'd have an excellent shot. But your gpa places you in the bottom 25%, and keep in mind that most of that 25% is going to be special case students such as URM's, student-athletes, legacy students, exceptional EC's. The web page says 2/3 weighting is placed on gpa, so this really hurts you.

Boston College - Less likely but possible. Your test scores put you in the bottom 25%, but most everybody here will be solidly in the top 10% of their class. If 3.4 is top 10% than the odds are better.

Boston University - My guess is about the same for Boston College.

By alex on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:47 am: Edit

can you evaluate my chances at the university of maryland?

By anon on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 09:28 pm: Edit

?


Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page