***Yes or No***

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: ***Yes or No***
By Timothy Lynch on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 11:12 am: Edit

I'm applying to Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Grinnell, Case Western, Brandeis, Pitzer, Rochester Institute of Technology, University of New Hampshire, and McGill...

My gpa is around an 89.0(3.4ish), i'm at a very good public high school in MA, i'm 44/190, my SATI: 600v 800m....SATIIs: WR640, MIIC750 Physics700...Decent ECs like Captain of Indoor track, outdoor track, on chess team, math team, baseball, over 200 hours of community service, in astronomy club, italian club, photo club, spanish club..etc.. Please tell me whether you think i can get into any of the above schools.. thank you

By Timmy1 on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Please someone respond... I really need some help

By Eric on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Have you looked at the stats for those schools? That will give you a better idea of whether you can get in.

Everything looks pretty good, although the SAT II Writing score is rather low. Can you retake?

By Timmy1 on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 02:15 pm: Edit

thanks, yeh, i've looked at the stats for these schools... i doubt i can get into Cornell or Carnegie Mellon, but i was just looking for some peer insight... Yea, my SATII writing is low, i think its too late to retake... i haven't signed up for december and i've already sent out applications...

By wisconsinguy on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 10:15 pm: Edit

I think your GPA and rank are too low, especially for Cornell.

By igadaboo on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 12:19 am: Edit

too many diversified ec's. no strong interests developed. trust me. going to be admissions officer for yale in 8 months.

By beh on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 12:38 am: Edit

igadaboo, since youre going to be an admissions officer soon, do you mind reading over my stats? ive already applied to Brown's PLME program, but Yale is also one of the reach schools im applying to for the regular round.. i dont think ill get into Brown's PLME since its like the most competitive and selective program in the nation.. well here are my stats.. oh and Thanks so much..

number stuff: 3.8 GPA (unweighted, and my school doesnt rank), 1460 (660V, 800M) SAT, 790 SAT II Bio, 770 SAT II Math 2C, 730 Writing, AP Calculus BC 5, AP US History 4...

currently taking:
AP English, AP Biology, AP European History, Scinece Research, Physics, Economics, Band... (my school is extremely small and offers only seven AP's.. im taking five of them)

Extracurricular Activities:
4 years of hospital volunteering, 3 years of peer tutoring, Science Honors Program at Columbia University, CTY Program at Johns Hopkins, captain of the math team, 3 years of jazz band, 5 years of band, lots of piano recitals and sent a recording of my own performance (have been playing since I was 4), doing genetics research at Columbia University with grad students.. will participate in INTEL competition (both national and international), science club, french club, JV tennis, writing center tutor, various awards/recognition in math and sciences...

Minority: Asian...

By Timmy1 on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 05:10 pm: Edit

ok, well, obviously i can't get into cornell, and probably not carnegie mellon, but do i have a shot at my other schools...

By Timmy1 on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 06:28 pm: Edit

anybody? any insight?

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 07:30 pm: Edit

tim, I'd say with your math history and scores you should be getting fat envelopes from at least 1/2 of the schools you mentioned.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page