550V for MIT???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: 550V for MIT???
By quarky on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 10:40 pm: Edit

SAT: 550V 800M (low V because of a limited vocabulary)
ACT: 32 Composite, 34 English, 35 Math, 30 Reading, 29 Science
SAT II: 650 Chemistry, 630 Biology, 720 Physics, 800 Math IIC, 730 Writing
GPA: 3.92 uw
AP's: completed Calc and Stats, enrolled in Bio, US Hist, US Govt, English, and Art Hist
Idaho resident
Native language: Russian
English = second language
Time spent in the US: almost 3 years.
Average EC's, mostly in math, science, and engineering.
Engineering camp at the U of Idaho.
An excellent research paper on a scientific phenomenon available for submission as part of the application.

Any chances with this verbal SAT score? Is it worth applying to MIT?

By q on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 12:18 pm: Edit

bump

By q on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:26 pm: Edit

bump

By asdf on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:32 pm: Edit

I know a guy with your scores at Cornell(520Verbal 800math). Appy there; I think you have a good chance.

By MIT Mom on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Can you take another test for non-English speakers, something I believe is called TOEFL (or something like that?) I know the online MIT application asks if the applicant is a native English speaker, and then the next online page (which asks for standardized test scores) is based on that previous answer.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm personally not that familiar with standardized tests for non-English speakers.

Good luck with your application, you certainly seem like a math and science whiz!

By quarky on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:51 pm: Edit

I decided not to take the TOEFL because it is very expensive and because it is too late now anyway (the test takes 4-6 weeks to report and one has to register 3 weeks in advance, so I'm looking at 7-9 weeks total). I was thinking about taking TOEFL a couple of months ago, but decided that my Writing SAT II score would be high and that TOEFL would be way too easy for me. Vocabulary is pretty much my only major weakness in English. This is evident from my ACT and SAT II English scores (34 English ACT is in the 99th percentile and 730 Writing is in the 87th percentile).

I think I will not apply to MIT...

Cornell -- I thought about applying to this school, but decided that I don't wanna live in NY.

So, to sum things up, I have my fingers crossed on CalTech, but I have applied to 15 other schools, 7 of which have already accepted me. So far, most of them were easy to get into (local public schools), but the Colorado School of Mines and Illinois Institute of Technology look pretty good to me, in case CalTech rejects me (which is very likely).

Do you think I would have a chance at MIT without the interview? I am still having a hard time deciding whether or not to apply. I want to say no, but MIT has affirmative action, which means that my background as an immigrant would be paid attention to. That would also help my low SAT V score.. but again -- Mass is so far away; I am not sure if I would want to move that far. I'm in Idaho right now.

By reading all these posts, I see that the majority of those who shoot for MIT have nearly perfect 750+'s on their SAT's and SATII's, stellar EC's, and national awards. I don't think I fit in..

By MIT Mom on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Quarky,
Hurry up and schedule your interview at MIT. I believe the deadline to call your interviewer to schedule is tomorrow, and the deadline to have your interview is 12/15.

First of all, the only thing you'll lose by applying to MIT is the application fee ($65) and some of your time. What you will lose by not applying is your peace of mind if you start to doubt that you made the correct decision in not applying.

Don't take the statistics and the advice that you get on this message board as "gospel." Most people who give advice on this message board about your "chances of admission" are not qualified to give such advice.

MIT is a cool place (I know, I went there a long time ago), and I know that they look at far more than just standardized test scores as criteria for admission.

Best of luck, and don't give up,
MIT Mom

By mitking on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 12:22 am: Edit

MIT dad. we hooked up if you know what i mean. hooray ... score.

By Idaho on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 02:25 pm: Edit

The fact that you're from Idaho actually helps.

By Replier on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 05:37 pm: Edit

I think you have a good chance at MIT. I know someone who wants to go there and he's not top of the line either. But you know it never hurts to try. Good Luck!!!!!!!

By pizzaluvr on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 12:32 am: Edit

definetely go for MIT. and Cornell isn't in the "New York" most ppl would think of... it's in a little [rural] college town of Ithaca, very nice. A lot of my friends go there. I think you might like it if you're into the whole college community thing. And good luck with MIT!

By Prof.Albert on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:40 am: Edit

On which scientific phenomenon have you done your research? your papers on the reseach could help you a lot if your work is good enough..,

By Prof.Albert on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 11:32 am: Edit

So you have done research on some sono lumni..e..,
It was quite good...,

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page