Non-typical lady... Princeton ED applicant this fall....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Non-typical lady... Princeton ED applicant this fall....
By amanda on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 08:26 pm: Edit

I am applying ED to Princeton, not the typical type of applicant.

1360 SAT I (620M, 740V)
SAT II: 770 French, 800 Writing, 650 Math IIC
AP: 4 on Environmental Sci, French Language, U.S. History

Extremely original extracurricular activities -- technical theater and acting. technical theater internship. National award in drama -- summer program, 8 girls 8 boys accepted out of 400 national applicants

high involvement in choral groups and singing, in community and school; school awards for voice

thousands of hours of community and school volunteer work in the arts

self-run babysitting business (an actual business that I've run for three years)

played soccer and did major theatre, comedy club, music, etc. ECs for 9,10,11 (but of course for Princeton you can't have 9th grade considered) (JV 9-10th (co-captain 10th), Varsity 11th)

one semester of bad grades (mainly in math) due to first play during 10th, didn't know how demanding it would be (11 pm rehearsals for three weeks in a row, 2 months of rehearsals overall, over 200 lines, really professional schedule). I wrote about this in a really great way on the 'anything else you'd like to tell us,' and nearly straight As last year with even more demanding EC and academic load. however, I'm taking BC Calc this year and did great in precal last year.

fluent in french, skipped a french class at school, taken since kindergarten. started taking portugese at top state university this year in my town, and since I couldn't send them my transcript for the class I got my professor to write a grade report in which he wrote that I was one of the top students in the class, a lot of other nice comments (I just asked for a grade report...! I had no idea!)

excellent, top-notch recs including optional rec from acting teacher and alumni rec from dance teacher. teacher recs from french teacher for 3 years who really takes recs seriously, and math teacher whose class I did badly in that one bad semester and did well in precal the next year, and who let me take BC this year. she was really amazed by my perseverance, motivation, and ability to bounce back. I gave her the thing I wrote for Princeton about it with the recc form so that she could see my perspective on it all even more clearly.

parents are self-employed artists and writers
from artsy college town that is very academic

most demanding coursework possible in all areas
8 classes as opposed to required 6 per semester each semester. 8 APs by graduation. demanding artistically and academically.

really amazing counselor letter.

54/360 weighted
4.346 weighted

submitted supplementary arts resume, art portfolio, and short stories that are all my top work.

really good essays.

I worked really hard on my app and I feel that it's totally "me" in all ways possible. my interviewer asked me what I thought I'd left out or wanted to change so that she could say it but I honestly couldn't think of anything, and neither could my aunt who helped me edit everything and read over my last draft (she is a journalism major and a great writer). she did not in any way do the work for me, though.

anyway, thanks for taking time to read this and I'd like to know if you all think Princeton will look past my one bad semester and the fact that I am by no means a math whiz, but I still find math really interesting and applicable to my interests in technical theater.

By green destiny on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 09:14 pm: Edit

First of all, are you French? If not, then that's a really good score. If you are French, consider taking the Toefl test. Since if you can pass your self off as a foreigner who's tried real hard, you will be more likely to be accepted into princeton.
Also your SAT I is a bit low.. try to improve on that. Get at least a 1450

By wiskid on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 05:45 pm: Edit

You sound quite sure you'll get in. Embrace that confidence and it might make you worry less.

Where are you from? (Berkeley?)

By wisconsinguy on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Let us know what happens.

By :- on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 10:52 pm: Edit

wow.... I don't know much about admissions, but that's an outstanding profile! any college would be lucky to have you! Congrats on all you have done. I really hope that you won't let the thickness of the envelope Princeton sends you determine yur overall feeling abou your HS achievements. Remember how much of admissions is random. Good luck and smile always!!

By dramaqueen on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 12:16 am: Edit

add a message. no.

By amanda on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 03:59 pm: Edit

No, I'm not French. I've just been taking for about a decade. That test is really easy compared to the grammar learned in AP French classes. Um.. yeah. I can't retake the SAT, obviously, and I've taken it three times and I still suck at math.... and I can't afford a prep course. I studied like mad for all of them but I just can't do well on the math! argh. I'm so worried about my math weaknesses... but then again I guess a lot of math-type people aren't good at english/foreign languages. Thanks, guys!

By amanda on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 04:00 pm: Edit

oh my god, no, wiskid, I'm not confident that I'll get in in the least. That's why I was asking people, because I have NO IDEA: I'm strong in a few areas but really weak in others....

By ... on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 04:02 am: Edit

Does anyone know when Princeton mails out their ED replies?

By jilian on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:14 pm: Edit

The week after next you should get it. That area of December I've heard over and over again.

By amanda on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:31 pm: Edit

ARGH. the agony...!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page