Tell me...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Tell me...
By Mr. Eccentric on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 12:06 pm: Edit

SAT: 790 Verbal
640 Math

SAT II(expected on the December administration)
Writing 700+
Literature 700+
Math IC 630-670

I'm a full-paying international applicant from India. I'm aware of the fact that international applicants usually have high math scores with lackluster verbal scores (for obvious reasons); as you can see, I'm quite the opposite--how will this affect my chances? Besides my test scores, all other elements in my application are beneficially "unique".

Schools I'm planning on applying to

-- All the Ivy’s +

U Chicago
Stanford
Northwestern
Amherst
Swarthmore
Georgetown
NYU
Tufts

By Mr. Eccentric on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 01:01 pm: Edit

?

By Mr. Eccentric on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Does anyone want to help me out? I'm a very impatient, chronic insomniac -- it's 1 AM -- and this non-responsive message board isn't helping my condition. LOL =)

By trackman on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 06:58 pm: Edit

You're applying to 18 different schools? seems a bit much...

By Mr. Eccentric on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 11:58 pm: Edit

I don't know which colleges I'm qualified for....hence the long list...

By Mr. Eccentric on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 03:14 pm: Edit

I find it annoying that no one has responded to my thread thus far; I know little about the American college admissions process and am in genuine need of advice.

Thanks=)

By Liz (Liz) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 03:30 pm: Edit

The college admissions process in the US places at least some weight on EC's (extracurricular activities). Do you have any sports/clubs/activities/whatever? Colleges over here like to see people who are involved. Numerically, you are qualified for all of them, but numbers like those wont make you stand out - it's practically a given for any ivy applicant to have high test scores. Actually, your numbers are a little low for Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Stanford.

By Timmy1 on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 06:25 pm: Edit

well,... are you aware of how annoying it will be to fill out over 15 applications? .. having said that i think that if you do exceptionally well at the school you currently go to and you have some outstanding interests that you clearly show to those colleges, you have a decent chance at all but Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and Stanford, i would say you have about a 50/50 at the remaining ivies along with amherst and georgetown. The other schools you probably have a very good chance at, but like the previous poster mentioned, ECs are very important, you're SATs won't really stand out at any of those schools... Also.. you might consider narrowing down your list. Some of those colleges aren't really related to each other academically. it seems as though you picked those colleges just because they're the toughest to get into in the U. S. Do you have any thoughts on a Major? jw

By Mr. Eccentric on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 03:53 am: Edit

Thank you for the valuable advice.

Timmy1: Yea, I plan on majoring in a subject related to politics, Peace and Conflict, perhaps.

Well I'm hoping to be admitted to those colleges on the basis of my rather unique extracurricular activities.

-- Soon-to-be-published author
Some months ago I started to write a book. The Skydancer is a 'factional' thriller based on true events of a 15-year old Tibetan Lama's incredible escape across the Himalayas from Chinese-occupied Tibet on the eve of the millennium. It is a real-life adventure about Ugyen Trinley, a handsome, effusive teenage Lama who is the target of Chinese assassins on the Roof of the world. The young Lama's run for freedom
across the
Himalayas was a David and Goliath situation played out on an extraordinary spiritual battlefield. Like 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' it is both a real-life entertainer that observes a fascinating society and a cinematic travelogue that cartwheels the reader across a magical landscape. And this is the story of the boy-king who may well emerge as Buddhism's next spiritual head and who is expected to lead Tibet's struggle for freedom in the 21st century. Well, I finally completed 3 full chapters and a detailed chapter by chapter synopsis and mailed the whole 60- page package to the Managing Editor of a leading publishing house in India. I received an acceptance letter soon after =)

-- Interviewed Abdul Kalam, India's new President. I believe I'm the youngest person to have interviewed an incumbent Indian head of state. (School paper & national daily)

-- Audience with His Holiness the Dalai Lama slated to take place sometime in January. I will enclose the questions I intend to pose to him within my application package. (School paper & national daily)

-- School Paper, political editor

-- summer with a major news paper( work exp.)

By Mr.Eccentric on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:05 am: Edit

-- Debate team

-- I appeared on 'We Are the People', a talk show on the Asia-wide news channel 'Star News', to dispute the revision of our History text books.

-- Community service: My family runs an orphanage; I have spent hundreds of hours there.

By veenapaddy on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:49 am: Edit

sheesh zlag......u make me feel like a lout!

By Mr.Eccen on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:33 pm: Edit

Burp. Bump !

By Mr.Eccentric on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:10 pm: Edit

bump

By Mr.e on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 01:50 am: Edit

Could somebody please respond?

By Liz (Liz) on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Wow - as long as you can back up all of those EC's well on paper, basically, you're the most qualified international applicant I've heard of. If you'd raise your math scores it would be like almost 95%ish (assuming good recs/good essays, which isn't a huge leap of the imagination given your stats) Right now I'd say you were in and around 85-90% at all of those schools. Did you apply EA to Harvard/Georgetown? For the later, SFS or college of arts and sciences? The only bad thing I can see is that you are privileged, which is a actually a good thing for international applicants.
Disclaimer: I am a high school student, I am neither the most knowledgable nor the most qualified to tell you about college admissions. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

By zee on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:21 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page