UCLA/BERKELEY/CORNELL/RICE/Georgetown chances?!?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: UCLA/BERKELEY/CORNELL/RICE/Georgetown chances?!?
By Green Destiny on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 12:41 am: Edit

Ok first of all here are my scores:
670 -verbal
740 -math SAT I

660 -writing
740 -Biology
740 -Math IIC

3.98 unweighted GPA, I dont know what my weighted GPA is but I have taken a ton of honors classes and 7 AP classes and some concurrent college classes.

My ECs aren't too impressive.
I have done volunteer work for my local university hospital, volunteered for the 2002 winter olympics, I am in my school club "lotus club" I am not sure exactly what they do, they are just there lol :), I play school basketball

Worked internship with american express, attended NYLC just a couple of weeks ago, worked at my local grocery store.

National honors society, who's who, national merit semi-finalist (probably finalist soon).

Can type 100+ wpm, knows html, basic, c++ among other stuff.

Speaks chinese fluently (probably high school level. I self study at home)

There are probably other stuff that I did that I can't remember right now.

As you probably have figured out, I am chinese. I came to the U.S. in fourth grade and I didn't know a word of English.

I know that my test scores are probably a bit low, plus the fact that I am asian probably excludes me from top colleges such as harvard and princeton, so I am not even trying for those.

I just want a fair assessment of my chances at those colleges that I have listed. Also, my scores especially in verbal and writing is low compared to my other scores. I think it's partly due to the fact that I was neither born in the U.S. nor raised in a family that constantly speaks english (I don't even speak english at home), so will the colleges consider that also?
I am not just looking to get into colleges, I also need scholarships, so if any of you can give me an assessment on my chances with those, it will be most appreciated.

THANK YOU

By bump on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 03:14 pm: Edit

bump

By dude on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 09:13 pm: Edit

do you live in california?

By green destiny on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 09:16 pm: Edit

unfortunately I don't live in california.

By bump on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 12:24 am: Edit

bump

By lalala on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 12:55 am: Edit

If you're out of state you're probably not gonna get into Berkeley or UCLA.

By chinadoll on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 01:12 am: Edit

try to get your scores higher, count yourself out of california, "who's who" is basically a scam and colleges laugh at it so don't include it in your resume, just make sure your academics are super strong (test scores) to compensate for lack of EC's and good luck!

By green destiny on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 01:50 am: Edit

I dont understand. Why is berkeley and ucla that hard to get into? I know that those two are public schools and all, but is it really that hard to get into?
Plus I heard that berkeley uses a formula, it's something like gpa*1000 + Sat I and 3 SAT III if it's above like 7360 then you get in.

Well my test scores are probably set, because I don't really plan to take the SATs again. Are you guys sure about my chances at berkeley and UCLA?
what about the other schools?

By bumper on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 01:23 pm: Edit

bump bump bump

By SonicDark on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 01:41 pm: Edit

UCLA and UCBerkeley cator to California residents

Being out of state is a huge disadvantage

The cost shoud also be a consideration to you. Out of state costs run about $30k per year with everything compared to about $15-20k for in state residents

By quarky on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Who has a better chance at UC's? Green Destiny or me?
SAT: 550V 780M (also have 500V 800M and 540V 790M)
ACT: 32 Composite, 34 English, 35 Math, 30 Reading, 29 Science
SAT II:
800 Math IIC
650 Chemistry
630 Biology-E
720 Physics
720 Physics (took the test twice)
730 Writing

3.92 u/w GPA
7/253 class rank
AP's: completed Calc and Stats, enrolled in Art Hist, US Hist, US Govt, Bio, and English.

Idaho resident.
English = second language.
Moved to the States less than 3 years ago.
Russian = native language.

Decent EC's, mostly in math, science, and engineering. Got some awards like ID Top Scholar Award, Bronze medal on the ID Science Olympiad, Internet Math Challenge winner, got 3rd place on a summer engineering camp and also got three 1st places in several bridge design award categories, Business Professionals of America regionals: 1st in International Business, 1st in Web Site Development Team, 2nd in Financial Math and Analysis... got some useless junk like two-time Who's Who, an academic letter, "A Team," some other crap that no one cares about.

Part time job 20 hrs/week average

Neglible community service.

This year, I am organizing my school for Tests of Engineering Aptitude, Mathematics, and Science.
I was a team captain last year, but this year I am actually going in the opposite direction: instead of having 8 team members elect a captain, I already am a captain and will choose 7 people to join me. My school's TEAM+S advisor was chosen by ME and, basically, the two of us will be in charge of two teams (I will be a team capt of one of them). TEAM+S is a national competition sponsored by JETS -- Junior Engineering Technical Society

I am also trying to get the Science Bowl thing going. It's basically a competition that a nuclear lab in ID is gonna run. Then some teams will advance to nationals. It's called the National Science Bowl, I think. Here in ID they call it the Quiz Bowl. No different though.

I am again in BPA this year. I am a parliamentarian.

I am a two-year Nat'l Honor Society member -- secretary.

I am in the Space Science Club, and as opposed to the rest of the members I am doing two research projects, not just one. I'm doing mine on the theory of panspermia and on the phenomenon of sonoluminescence. By the end of the year, my SL (sonolum.) project partner and I will attempt to build an appartus to observe the phenomenon and tests effects of different variables on the light emitted by a bubble of air when it is subjected to sound waves of high frequencies.

Any chances at UC Berkeley as a non-resident ESL student?

By green destiny on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 05:06 pm: Edit

definitely me of course :)

PEOPLE PEOPLE what about my chances at the other universities?

also CHICAGO university and Washinton University in St. Louis

By w on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Your berkeley formula is wrong. Its gpa*1000 + SAT I + 2(3 SAT II)= ?? The review is much more comrehensive now as last year only 24% got into Berkeley.

By green destiny on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 07:36 pm: Edit

OK lets all not dwell on berkeley and UCLA

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE THINK ABOUT MY CHANCES AT THOSE OTHER SCHOOLS?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By quarky on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 10:36 am: Edit

If you don't calm down, then it's all over for you now. HAHAHHAHAHA
Just kidding. I am still hoping for UCB, but it sounds like being a non-resident is a huge disadvantage. If they indeed reserve something like 5% of their admittees for non-residents, then those 5% are students with perfect numbers -- 1500 SAT, 4.0GPA, 750+'s SAT II's, excellent EC's and essay.
But anyway -- good luck to you and me.

By green destiny on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Oh my god this is like so freaking homosexual :)
Garrrr.... man it would be like so not cool if I get rejected from all the colleges I am applying to...

really quarky, my situation, from the looks of it, is so similar to yours. I wanted to take the teofl too, but now I think it's too late

you are right GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND ME

By bumper on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 10:39 pm: Edit

SOMEBODY ELSE RESPOND PLZ PLZ PLZ

By bumpppp on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:22 pm: Edit

hello

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page