Are you one of these types of "posters" to this discussion?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Are you one of these types of "posters" to this discussion?
By brumberger on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Dear all,
I have been reading through the posts in this discussion group, and certain "types" of "posters" have emerged with some frequency.

1. The "Where are my sack cloths and ashes?" type.
These posters are students with stellar stats and qualifications, but who want to flog themselves and don sack cloths and ashes because they only got a 790 on something instead of an 800. I can't tell if they REALLY feel that missing that one test question will cause them lifetime shame, resulting in rejection from Harvard and a life of failure. However, their shame at not being "perfect" is heartbreaking.

Related to this type of poster is the...

2. The "Heh, heh, I KNOW I'm good, I'm acting humble, but I really want to brag" type.
These are also students with stellar stats, but these guys appear to be smart enough to realize they've done well. Their confidence comes out in their posts. Why are you guys posting here, anyway? Do you really need gushing compliments and encouragement from total strangers?

A type of poster that makes me feel sad is the...

3. "Please give me SOME hope" type. These posters have sub-par stats and deep down they know it, but they seem to be grasping at any sort of encouragement from a group of anonymous strangers who may or may not be encouraging. However, these strangers (who either cut them down or build them up) usually don't have the slightest qualifications to assess these posters' admissions chances.

4. The "Colleg Confedenshal Fiction" type. These posts are made by people who are clearly lying through their teeth about their stats and accomplishments. And there gramar and speling seam to deterierate in direct proportion to the grandiosity of their claims. (And some of you responders actually take them seriously!!!)

And, finally, the type of poster who makes me want to lose my dinner....

5. The "Clairvoyant Youth" type. These posts all read the same with minor word substitution. "I am a (choose 1) sophomore / freshman / kindergartner. I haven't actually taken any standardized tests yet, but I predict I will get a (fill in the blank)______. I don't actually have a class rank yet, but I predict I will rank _________. I haven't actually done any activities yet, but I plan to do _________. The reason I haven't done anything yet (like cure cancer and bring peace in the world) is I'm too busy just sitting around worrying about my chances of getting into the word's best college (chose one or more -- usually HPYS and/or M)."

C'mon, guys, lighten up. Applying to college is a pretty stressful process, and anyone who posts to this "What Are My Chances?" forum shouldn't either take themselves, or the responses they get, too seriously. With the exception of a few knowledgable adult responders and a few reassuring college students who have been through the process themselves, most of the responses appear to be worth exactly what they cost -- nothing.

By nivekng on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Very well said.

By Wanker on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Couldnt have said it any better

By NYMom on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 07:49 am: Edit

Well said, brumberger. What everyone here needs to realize is that good stats & good ECs just put you in the running for top tier schools. There's no way to prdict w/ any accuracy whether one will be admitted. All you can do is put together the best application possible, and the adcom will do the rest.

By THEYERASEDMYPOST on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 10:34 am: Edit

Why did they take away my smily faces? I wanted to tell you that that is a very good point...

Enjoy:

By mnvb on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:10 am: Edit

Since you've been able to so keenly observe and draws conclusions as to who the different kinds of "posters" are, I assume you spend vast amounts of time here on this board, assume ably for reasons other than that of observation. Your eloquently written post reflects both your intelligence and your puerility, which leads me that you too might be a "type 1" or "type 2" student who often hovers around this board in search of an ego massage. But for some reason, you've been hit by introspection; realization has dawned upon you; you now know just how pathetic and insecure you really are. . . Well, whatever

By brumberger on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 01:23 pm: Edit

Dear mnvb,
I am neither a Type 1 or a Type 2 in this list. And I am neither "pathetic" nor "insecure." I am the parent of a high school senior in the process of applying to college who stumbled across this message board and showed it to me. And I am certainly in no need of an "ego massage." My observations were made pretty quickly, in about an afternoon of reading though this list.

Hey, mnvb, take my advice and lighten up.

By bump on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:55 pm: Edit

heh

By mvnb on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 06:54 am: Edit

Nevermind then. By the way, you don't sound old..

By bump on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 11:18 pm: Edit

By Gregon on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 11:28 pm: Edit

That post was awesome!

Congratulations on being the most observant person on the College Confidential board. Hey admins can you give this guy like a free evaluation or something (j/k) :)

By CrimsonKid on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 01:38 am: Edit

You know,

Sometimes people might just be here because they want to help. There are a number of post-ers on this site who are quite obviously new at college like me, and are just plain interested in getting people any help they can in reaching their current positions.

I am a freshman, not three months at Harvard, and I was in such a similar position last year... I wish I had found this site then.

Hoping to help,
Cheers.

By Bueno on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Well said!

By haha on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:52 pm: Edit

By Sar (Sar) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 08:35 pm: Edit

*cocks an eyebrow*

I sure HOPE nobody takes stuff too seriously around here. Or around any free internet site, for that matter (or even paid ones lol)...

And maybe it's just me, but I think 4 and 5 are nice breaks from the spastic norm... just like this one is. ^_^

{edit}
ego massages feel good. :)
{edit2}
There should be a forum here specifically "For Those In Need of an Ego Boost." Except it would probably become abused right off the bat. sigh.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page