HARVARD, STANFORD, COLUMBIA CHANCES!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: HARVARD, STANFORD, COLUMBIA CHANCES!
By Mrboya (Mrboya) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 10:32 am: Edit

Hi, I am a junior in NY and interested in Columbia, Stanford, MIT and Harvard ( as well as some other more schools that are less of a reach). Please evaluate my chance.

I go to a public school.
SAT: to be taken Dec
SAT II: Biology 800
Freshmen ?4.00, Sophomore ?4.67
I take all Honors/APs, took Biology (5), currently taking AP History, AP C++ A, AP Chemistry.

Extra-curricular/Work Experience:
Promoted Elections of 2002
Certified American Cross Lifeguard
Homework and SAT Tutor
Snow Removal in Neighborhood
Varsity Swimming
President of Computer Club
- currently creating a C++ based computer game with graphics
Committee Chairperson of Astronomy Club
Tapestry Contributor
Editor of School Newspaper,
Alumni Representative of NYLC

Member of FIRST Robotics
- 2001: placed 3rd Regional
- 2002 placed 4th Regional

Active Member of Key Club, International Concerns Club, Math Club, Art Club,
Volunteer in Chilton Memorial Hospital,
Korean School Literary Magazine Writer,
Piano

Did advanced study on Artificial Intelligence
- Did self-study on String Theory
- Interned at Samsung Database
- Will be researching with a professor at Frederick University (December 2002)

Attended Columbia Science Honors Program
Attended National Young Leadership Conference
Member of Youth Voter Corps
Nominated to National Youth Leadership Forum

AWARDS:
Science League Biology II Award
Who’s Who Certificate of Honor
2001 Certificate of Excellence (Advanced Writing)
Excellent Performance American Computer Science League Award
- Team placed 3rd in nation Classroom Division ACSL 2002
- Outstanding Student Computer Science 2002
- 2nd Highest Scorer in the Nation 2001

First Place Winner of April Poetry Contest (sponsored by Point of Life)
Certificate of Recognition Honorable Mention (sponsored by Famous Poets)
Varsity Letter Award Plaque (Swimming)
Black Belt Recognition in Tak Won Do
Certificate of Excellence in Piano (Achieved Grade 5 of Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music )
National Science Olympiad Award (8th Grade)

By damn on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 03:50 pm: Edit

u don't have your SAT score. what the hell can you predict w/o one of the most important factors? If you have a 1300, the colleges are reaches, if you have 1500 then you have like 80% chance. Get that first. Don't come here w/o everthing...god, i hate all those ninth graders coming in this forum w/ predicted scores... the fuc*?

By Mrboya (Mrboya) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Hi. Sorry about that. I am predicting it will be 1500+, and most definitely 1400+... Possbly 1600, but to be safe, it will be around 1500-1550. :-)

By seeker on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Self-study on string theory? Right...

By Mrboya (Mrboya) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 04:22 pm: Edit

I did. I probably know more than you and beyond.

By Gregon on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 04:42 pm: Edit

0% Chance

You need 3 SAT II's for MIT STANFORD and HARVARD (not sure about Columbia)
You are an excellent student, too bad you didn't read the application :)

Good luck!

By Gregon on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 04:42 pm: Edit

0% Chance

You need 3 SAT II's for MIT STANFORD and HARVARD (not sure about Columbia)
You are an excellent student, too bad you didn't read the application :)

Good luck!

By Gregon on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Sorry for double post, must have hit button twice

By Mrboya (Mrboya) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 06:50 pm: Edit

um. ok.. Notice I said I am a junior. So..
alright.. I got one my SAT 2 score today. so..
Biology = 800
Korean = 790
Writing = 700-800
Math iic = 800
Chemistry = 750-800
U.S. History = 750-800
Physics = 780-800

how about now? thse are my range of scores and they are 100% safe to assume. THanks!

By Gregon on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 06:55 pm: Edit

100% then :)

By Mrboya (Mrboya) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 08:26 pm: Edit

I believe harvard, and stanford tend to look for a hook, and I know I dont have a very strong one... still, i'd like to get my chance evaluated with feedback..

By bump on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 10:32 pm: Edit

bump

By bah on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 12:34 am: Edit

Self study on string theory? Wow i can read books! You to?!?!

By boa on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 03:57 pm: Edit

you guys are terrible. Self-study means beyond just reading books... can't u really evalulate my chance without criticizing what i do?

By dan bolynger on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Well u are being hoity toity so hopefully you dont make any of these...100% 800 sat 2 scores -safe to assume..right....

By txteni1 on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 04:58 pm: Edit

i got aa 240 on the PSAT and a 1600 on the SAT, and 800's in Math 2c and 1c and writing and chemistry and spanish, i took the physics B ap and ero hist test my sophomore yr and got all 5's, and i took Calc Bc and Us hist and Eng lang and Chem and both governments my junior yr and got 5's, now, im taking AP span and eng lit and bth physics and bio and both econ, i was the class prez my fresh and sophomore yr and i was student body VP my junior yr and im studnt body prez now, and i'm ranked #5 internationally in tennis, a couple months ago i made it to the semis of theJunior US open in NY, im the prez of the community service club at my skool, i play the piano and won state competitions, and i won a state math competition, my class rank is 1, i have a prefect GPA, i did research over the summer at the Southwestern med skool and i took part of the Scholar-athlete games held in RI last summer, in which ppl efrom all over the world came and arethra franklin preormedat it, and i teach underrivledge children in an afterskool program called summerbridge, Do i have a chance of getting into STAnford? i ive in tx and go to a private skool

By txteni1 on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 04:59 pm: Edit

btw, i hav other stuff but i got tired of typin

By ew on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 06:06 pm: Edit

you have perfect GPA but can't spell "underprivileged" ? ? thats the prime example of why "perfect" students like you get rejected. you're amazing in every aspect otherwise, dont get me wrong, but learn how to spell. and also, this board is to help people who need advice. do you really think with these literally perfect stats need help?

By Chigetai on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 10:15 pm: Edit

It's obvious he's just joking. Or making an ass of himself. You pick.

By bOa on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 11:24 pm: Edit

the 800s are the ones ive already gotten. The restin dashes are assumptions. I hope that clears it up.

Thanks for your inputs. It makes me feel i have a decent chance.

By bah on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 01:10 am: Edit

Your refers to a singular subject, inputs is plural 800 boy.

By seeker on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 01:28 am: Edit

Boya/bOa:

As bah said, anyone can read books. If you've really studied string theory then you'd know that it's intensely mathematical at any level - and I seriously doubt that you're the kind of genius who knows quantum mechanics, topology and calculus before college. Reading popular science books like "Hyperspace" doesn't count.

By BoA on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 05:05 pm: Edit

I've read many books. I've understood the topic. I've helped research, which got semifinalist at westinghouse, and I made my own program using calculus to imitiate the essences of ai. If this is not good enough, then please, just ignore it, and give me real inputs that may help me. Thanks

By damnit on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 06:43 pm: Edit

boa, if you think you're so good then why do you want opinions. If we say you have a chance, you'll think "of course" and if we say you don't, you'll argue. You're a semifinalist so, you have a great shot. God sakes.

By green destiny on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Ok mrboya you are one of two kinds of people
: Showoff or liar

for god sakes you look at your own stats that you have listed, DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTING INTO ONE OF THOSE SCHOOLS??? of course you do. If a person with your credentials don't have a chance at those schools then who does?!?????!?
If you are so confident in your SAT II and SAT I scores then why aren't you confident in your ability to get into those schools?? Plus why are you asking us people here? why don't you get "college confidential"'s stats evaluation guide book?
So obviously you are either a showoff or a liar.

By boA on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 09:26 am: Edit

alright. thanks. i just wanted to see how i'd rate nationally. See you guys later.

By shyla200 on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 09:21 am: Edit

i think ur competitive. :-)

By seeker on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 10:11 am: Edit

String theory doesn't have too much to do with the other research you've done. You've 'helped' research? 'Made' a program 'using calculus'? Sorry, I'm just sceptical. Tell you what - send a copy of your best programming to the schools you apply to and ask their comsci depts to look at it, and let them decide.

By Bubblebastar on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Great stats. i wish i had those.

By cnellhopeful on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 06:25 pm: Edit

I'm an African American student who wants to transfer to Cornell's history dept. Here are my stats:

3.8 GPA(honors curriculum)2nd year student

E.C.
President of the Black Executive Exchange Program(BEEP)
President of the History Club
English Club Member(VP)
Honor Student Assoc.
Natl. Black Chamber of Commerce.
Chess Club captain

Various academic honors.

Took summers courses in history at the University of Chicago, the summer before sophomore year.

A nice amount of community service. Which includes helping LD students in English, and history courses.
And some research in history.

Do I have a good chance?

By lola on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 05:13 pm: Edit

it cant be decided really, until u have an SAT score. so far so good

By Jag Senna on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Hey im just wondering u all, i have one more chance to take the tests before college, and Im wondering which to take, SAT1 or SAT2?
My SAT Score is 1430 (720M 710V) and my
SAT 2 score: 790Physics, 750Math2c and 650Writing
im almost certain I can do better on the SAT2 writing and the SAT1, as i have taken them only once. (i know, i left it late, that was stupid)

Which one is worth taking?

Im also minority living outside the US, what r my chances of getting in to top schools if i do improve my scores a bit? I have tons of ECAs and im confident with my teacher references.

By Pearlie on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 11:12 pm: Edit

I am a high school sophomore and am just starting to find a college that would suit me, so I am pretty clueless on what most schools have to offer. i would like information on the average GPAs, SAT I and SAT II scores along with other things needed to get into Columbia, Harvard, Yale and Princeton. Also, I heard that 400+ community service hours are needed to attend most of these schools...is that true???

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page