Publis HS minority chances at cornell/columbia/top20schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Publis HS minority chances at cornell/columbia/top20schools
By Siphertext (Siphertext) on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 03:06 pm: Edit

Okay I have about 3 days to decide to move from here so i thought you guys might be able to offer some help. I go to a public high school with about 250 students. I am ranked 5th with a 99 average. I have been involved with sports most of high school and have a great number of EC. I will list my scores then my ECs. And I feel my teacher reccomendations will be excellent. ALso i am working on getting a research paper published which I should have submitted to Intel by The 20th.
Ok heres the list of qualifiers, tell me what you think. I am also of Mexican descent which should be helpful.
Extra Curriculars:
Hospital Volunteer
Science Honor Society, Vice President
Math Honor Society, Vice President
Department of Environmental Protection Intern, 00, 01, 02
Cross Country, all state honorable mention
Winter Track, all league
Spring Track
Wrestling Team
High School Productions
Fiddler on The roof
Oklahoma
You Canít Take It With You
Bible Club
Certified in CPR
Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do training
Chess Club
NYRLCA juniors, vice president
Book Club, former president
Foundations of Research - completed authentic research and submitted to Intel Fair. THis was completed over 2 years.
Connecticut Science Fair, Second Honors
Science Horizons, Finalist
National Honor Society
Ranked 5th in the class with a 99.00 average
Internet Entrepreneur

Now for the test grades:
Sat I
m-720
v-690

Sat II #=scores held
writing - 700
#chem - 650
#bio - 650
mathIIc - 590- horrible mistake based on arriving late to test location and not being at all focused, I will not submit this as a sat score under any circumstance

AP scores
Environmental Science - 4
Calc AB - 4
American - 3
Physics - 1 - I think I messed up gridding or something and I will most likely cancel this, although I did get a 100 weighted in the class because I actually knew the material well. I will probably drop this unless i hear otherwise

After assesing the merit of these qualifications could you please offer advice as to which sat to take in december. I am currently scheduled for the sat1, but I could easily call and have that changed to sat2s in which i would hopefully bring all my scores to around 700 on sat2s.

Thanks for reading all this and I appreciate any help or input you can offer. This whole college application stuff seemed far off before and now im struggling to construct a strong portfolio. ANy comments are greatly appreciated
-siphertext

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 07:09 pm: Edit

Because you are an URM and already have decent scores, I personally do not suggest that you sweat the SAT again. For the schools that you are applying, based on your background (Mexican, public school, apparent interest in the hard sciences), I think you already are in good shape.

I think you would be far better served working on your essay and making sure it describes your research projects and internships. I think that your defining passion in science reseach will be what could open the door to admission, and that is what you should focus on in your application as well as your interview. Even include an abstract of your paper and a recommendation by the person whom you worked for on internship.

Those kind of extras are the kind of things that adcoms welcome.

Good luck!

By siphertext on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 10:28 pm: Edit

ok thanks, I think i am going to retake SATIIs so that I can make more scholarship hooks. I need a 1450 to qualify for more scholarships and millions are offered to minorities thanks to affirmative action.

By meeh on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 09:30 pm: Edit

bump

By meeh on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 05:30 pm: Edit

bump, come one i need some opinions

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page