Ba/Md forum

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Ba/Md forum
By FutureDoc on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:03 pm: Edit

I wanted to start a conversation about ba/md programs. I am an aspiring junior who would really like to get into pennstate or northwestern's programs...Lets put together our knowledge, and help each other out.

How does one distinguish themselves for such programs. I have a 1550 sat...a good gpa, and volunteer work in hospitals and good recomendations...How does one differentiate themselves from the rest of the qualified people applying.

Any imput from someone who has got into a ba/md program would be welcome.

By wow on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Hey I'm applying to one also. Uum...Penn State is extremely competitive (tons of asians) so that will be tough. The NW program I don't know too much about. I'm applying to it right now. They seem to first flesh out people with low scores and grades since they ask you to just give your SAT scores and GPA first and then if you make the cut, they send you the program app. I sent the card, but I don't know if I'll make the cut. My scores: SAt:1500, average of SAtII's is 755 in writing, math, and chem. My GPA is like 3.5 at one of the most competitive schools in the east. Rank is like top 15%. Help me!

By Weasy on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Whoa, NW is crazy Im applyin to Brown PLME, and I hope my awesome essays, and recs will make up for my crappy scores, I really want to become a doctor and I have what it takes, its just that i dont do well on standarized tests, BTW my SAT I= 1290, and my two's are 680 Bio. 680 writing, 620 2C LoL
yeah I know but i have great EC's and a high GPA we'll just see what happens!

By Hello on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:27 pm: Edit

Weasy could you please give me your email address, so I can talk to you about the type of extracurriculars you have? Thank you very much...

By Penn-state on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:29 pm: Edit

I got into the 7-year ba/md at penn-state with a 1400, and good extra curriculars. However, I am not guarenteed admission, so I must actually maintian my gpa, and do community service. A strong SAT score helps (1440 is the least for the 6 year program at penn-state).

By Weasy on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Hello,
Why dont u just ask right here

By Hello on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 09:18 am: Edit

What kind of extracurriculars do you have...I have a decent gpa and sat, but would like to distinguish myself in other fields. Please help thank you.

By Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Bump........

By associatehustler on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 01:41 am: Edit

is it worthless (meaning i have marginally low chances) to apply to 8 year ba/md's with decent scores. mine are 1480 (690v 790m), 790iic 730 writing 710bio 34 act blah blah etc and high gpa all that stuff with tons of ec's but lacking a focus on medicine?

thanks!

By What on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 07:23 am: Edit

No, you can get into some of the less competitive programs. With your credentials you should be able to get into lehigh, university of misssouri ba/md...(They are still very good schools). Also, it saves the hastle of applying to medical school.

By why me? on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 10:33 pm: Edit

I have similar scores as associatehustler. Btw, Penn-state, how did you get in with a 1400??!! I have REALLY good work experience, ec's, and test scores are decent. My rank is not reported since our school does not rank. But I'm clearly like top 15% in my class. What are my chances? Can people like me get in, do they take people just based on numbers or do they look at everything? Help!!!!

By antiracismantiwar on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 07:48 pm: Edit

I've known one person who's gotten admission to a ba/md program. He was one of the few students in america to receive the high school heinsmens awards (spelling?). He was Indian with average scores and GPA. (1400sat and 3.5 gpa, top 25%) he says his buddies all got in for something that really distinguishes them from other students ie national level sports, music, drama, dance, carpentry etc...

By why me? on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 08:32 pm: Edit

thanks alot antiracismantiwar. Yeah, I do have something special, but I don't know if that will balance out my only decent scores/grades (1500, 3.5 GPA). I guess it's not in my hands anymore. We'll see. thanks once again.

By FutureDoc on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 09:11 pm: Edit

What kind of "special" things have you done 'why me'? I am junior with a 1540 on my SAT, and a 3.95 gpa. I have 400 hours of volunteer work in both indian hospitals, and at johns hopkins. I am in varsity swimming, j.v cross-country, and track. I am president of computer and medical club at my school, and I am an active debater. What can I do to distinguish myself (my reach ba/md schools are pennstate and northwestern)? I have one question, (don't want to sound stupid, but), would it be helpful if my relative is head of the mathmatics department at northwestern? I have recently done a small "research paper" under his guidance, and he is world-renowned.

By Bump on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Bump........

By NeedSomeAdvice on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 01:40 pm: Edit

I would love to get into a ba/md program. What does it require? Please help... Any suggestions welcome.

Enjoy!!!!!!

By damn on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 03:43 pm: Edit

I just got rejected from the NW program w/ a 1500 and 750 average on the II's. They filter out people first and then send the ba/md application, then they screen and get kids for the interview and then they make the decision. I got the first cut!!!! Life is not going too well right now. NW is impossible to get into. Acceptance rate, I found out, is 3%. That's fuc*ing stupid. I HATE life.

By BBB on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 04:06 pm: Edit

NSA, it usually takes the kind of qualifications that would get you into the most selective Ivies. Sorry about your rejection, damn, but you'll still no doubt get into some great undergrad schools and have a good shot at med school later.

By FutureDoc on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 04:38 pm: Edit

I'm sorry for your rejection. What kind of qualifications do they look for if they cut people with such a strong academic background as yours... When did you get your rejection letter.

By damn on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 05:22 pm: Edit

First of all, NW first looks at grades/scores, nothing else. u give them a card literally w/ your GPA, scores, senior ap courses. A 1550 is extremely strong but u never know. I got my reject letter yesterday (the dreaded thin envelope). The bad part about all this is that I'm starting the college process w/ a rejection. I'm applying to other med programs so hopefully i can get into at least one. The only qualifications is to be an academic stand-out! And, obviously a 1500 is not a stand-out (average for med programs is around 1500).

By s on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 08:33 pm: Edit

That's odd. I turned in the card with a 1490, and only a 700 in chem and they sent me the application stuff. I'm sorry though, don't worry about it.

By damn on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:07 pm: Edit

s, what was your GPA, rank? how many AP's are u taking this year?

By s on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 12:18 am: Edit

4.0 unweighted, 1 out of 430, 3.

By FutureDoc on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:34 am: Edit

I think that Northwestern likes well ranked students. Am I at a disadvantage because my school refuses to rank students? Where else are you applying damn. I think that you have a strong chance at other ba/md programs such as penn-state.

By Bump on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Bump

By FutureDoc on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Please can someone help me...

By damn on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:52 pm: Edit

uum...penn state is extremely competitive among asians, especially Indians. I'm applying to Brown's program and University of Southern California, and BU. My ec's are unique so that may help me. I'm from northeast so NW probably does not know much about my school (one of the most competitive in this region). My school doesn't rank and I have a pretty bad one, so I didn't send it so that probably was the factor that hurt me. does that help futuredoc? You're in great shape!

By FutureDoc on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Damn, can you tell me what types of extracurriculars I should be involved in?

By MYGOODNESS on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Bump.............

By FutureDoc on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Anyone who is curently or is going to go to a ba/md program is welcome to comment......

Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!

By nonahart on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 06:05 pm: Edit

my bro is going to a 6-yr med skool program(UMKC), is that what u asking aboout

By Futuredoc on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Nonahart can you please tell your brother to post his statistics... I am really hoping to get into umkc or penn-state... Thank you very much.

By help on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Bump...Bump

By Confused on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 08:18 pm: Edit

I want some information about a BA/MD. What is a BA/Md and how do I get in one?

By q on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 08:21 pm: Edit

I don't know if you're joking or not, Confused, but gullible as I am, I'll answer your question. It is a combined med program that can range from 6 to 8 yers long. Students exit with a BA and a MD degree without having had to take the mcat or apply to med school. Very difficult, but a good path to go if being a doctor is your dream.
p.s. If you don't know what it is, why would you want to be in one??

By Confused on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 08:46 pm: Edit

It looks like it is interesting...from the posts..I did not mean to type that.

By igadaboo on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 11:30 pm: Edit

don't know really, "your dream" ??

I've heard of the disease a day program (one disease and all of its complex details everyday) and the drug a day program (one drug and all of its complex details - for what, chemical background, etc every single day)

don't know about you, but college is supposed to be a special experience (outside the alcohol). i'm supposed to get life long lessons out of it, find myself, etc...not memorize tons of information without fully appreciating it.

By ????????? on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 10:32 am: Edit

What the hell are you talking about. Igadaboo please clraify yourself...

By HELP on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Bump....

By damn on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:25 pm: Edit

igadaboo, the hell are u talking about...pass that pipe along now...the hell are u talking about...drug a day program...i urge posters to please write at least at the first grade level.

By Fracturedcow on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:28 pm: Edit

ive just applied (not just.. for early decision) to brown's PLME program and now im waiting for the rejection letter since i have absolutely no chance.. well im still applying to other med programs but my options are pretty limited since i dont have the required sat ii chemistry score.. i took bio instead, not knowing chem would be needed for most med programs... well here are my stats so you can criticize me all you want.. and good luck to all..

number stuff: 3.8 gpa unweighted (my school doesnt weigh or rank).. 1460 sat (660v, 800m).. 790 on sat ii bio, 770 on math 2c, and 730 on writing.. 5 on ap calc bc.. 4 on ap us history.. currently taking three aps - ap bio, ap english, and ap euro history.. my school is extremely small and offers only seven ap courses...

extracurriculars: 4 years of hospital volunteering, 3 years of peer tutoring, Science Honors Program at Columbia University, CTY Program at Johns Hopkins, captain of the math team, 3 years of jazz band, 5 years of band, lots of piano recitals and sent a recording of my own performance (have been playing since I was 4), doing genetics research at Columbia University with grad students.. will participate in INTEL competition (both national and international), science club, french club, JV tennis, writing center tutor, various awards/recognition in math and sciences...

minority: asian..

By wow on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:49 pm: Edit

whoa, you have impressive activities/scores. You are a competitive candidate and you have a better than even chance...i think you'll get in...please inform the board of the results...thanks.

By AcceptanceRate on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 09:42 pm: Edit

I really want to get into either penn-state, case-western, or northwestern... Does anyone know the acceptance rate for each of these programs...

By asdf on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Bump...........

By wow on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Northwestern is the hardest program: around 3 or 4 % acceptance right, penn state is easier. Out of those three, I would choose penn state. CWRU is a decent school, but not that great. Students gave it a social rank of D+ so it's not a great school.

By adf on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 11:38 am: Edit

But for medical schools doesn't CWRU have one of the best (22nd). If you got into both Northwestern and penn-state why would you choose penn-state (It is a lot easier...). Would it be helpful (for admission) if one of my relatives if the head of the mathematics department of penn-state...

By asdf on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Bump....

By Fracturedcow on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Brown's PLME is very selective too (im sure everyone knows though).. around 2% acceptance rate.. they admit like 70 people total... which is why i think i stand no chance.. i may be a competitive candidate for some other schools like university of rochester.. but not good enough for Brown's PLME, let along Brown...

By Bump on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 09:47 am: Edit

Bump...

By Bumpos on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Bump...

By yeah on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 11:13 pm: Edit

Is the difficulty of trying to be accepted to a ba/md program the same as trying to be accepted at an Ivy League college?

By Acceptance on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:07 am: Edit

Brown and Northwestern Ba/Md
for example have acceptance rates of only 3%, 1/4 that of harvard...

By HAPPYHAPPY on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Bumper.......

By Hello on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Bump.. Can someone please list themselves if they have gotten into a ba/md program.

By HELP on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 03:02 pm: Edit

BUMP... Can someone please list where they have gotten acceptance into for the ba/md?

By BUmper on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 03:02 pm: Edit

BUmp

By Bump... on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Bump...

By mona on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 04:07 am: Edit

i got into a ba/md program- NEOCUCOM. it wasn't that hard. i also got the app for NW and filled it out and sent it back. stats: SAT: 1480 chem:760, m2c:780, writ:760. volunteering, internships, research...lots of EC's. great essay and good recs.

By magiczach on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

I was just accepted early decision into brown's PLME. I thought I had no chance just like a lot of you, but i was still selected as one of the 20 students to get in early to the PLME. I have some advice I can give if anyone is applying to the program and needs some help so feel free to email me.

By curious on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 01:01 am: Edit

hey magiczach:

i applied under regular decision to Brown's PLME. What were ur qualifications and stuff? I just wanted to compare my odds of getting in?

Thanks

By DRILLER on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

SAT I: 1570
SAT IIs: 800/800/800/780 math/writing/chem/bio
GPA: 4.330

TIME TO PLAY THE GAME

By Bump on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 04:11 pm: Edit

Bump....

By Help on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 04:14 pm: Edit

More posts...

By BUmp on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

BUmp...BU<<MMP

By Doctort (Doctort) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 09:43 pm: Edit

I got into the 7-yr RPI-Albany Medical College Physician-Scientist Program. around 20 get in out of something like 800 applicants!!!! I'm happy.

By Docterdrumz (Docterdrumz) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 11:54 am: Edit

I got a 1580 on the SAT. Perfect on the SAT2. My gpa is 4.0 unweighted. I rank 1 out of 832. I have over 800 hrs of service. My ECs are out of control. What are my chances of getting into NW or PennState in a BA/MD program?

By Kvon (Kvon) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

I have a 1370 on the SAT's (770 m, 600 v) havne't taken an SAT2 in chem but i will soon.. math 2c i got a 7something..and writing a 680. I just started shadowing a ortho. surgeon, have amples of community service (am an officer in National Honor Societ at my school) GPA is 4.125 and gonna go up.. i'm president of a religious club, play soccer on the side, weight lift a TON, have a job working as a fitness instructor in a gym (for a reknown healthcare company)... do i have a shot? i know the test scores aren't extremely high..but do my e.c. help me out?

By Kish (Kish) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Hey,

This is my first time msging on this site. My mom told me about it and I like it alot. I have a 1420 on my SAT's, I am in the top 5 percent of our senior class, I am a research assistant to an oncologist and I have published a case report on plasma cell leukemia. I have alot of ec activities and such, but my SAT 2's are low. They are in the 660 average area. Can anyone tell me if I have a chance at getting into Guaranteed programs at George Washington, Rochester, U of Alabama, Virginia Commonwealth, or if you could suggest a program that I could get into. Thanks alot, oh yeah forgot to mention I skipped two grades

By Bap (Bap) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Actually, for the RPI Physician-Scientist Program, about 20 are accepted from less than 300 applicants.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page