MY chances to be IVY leauger? anything needed to be added?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: MY chances to be IVY leauger? anything needed to be added?
By AnalMan on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 05:42 pm: Edit

I am a sophmore in high school. I am extremely grade conscious and i hope to get into IVY league. Can someone please look at this and tell me if this qualifies for IVY. Thank you

GPA: Not sure... above 4.1+ weighted

SAT: havent taken it yet but took PSAT and got 1300

:::Leadership Activities:::
President of math tutoring program for youth (currently 12 students)

President of Persian Student Youth Group
President of Chess Team

Co-Captain of Varsity Debate Team
News Editor of High School Newspaper
Youth Aquatic Leader(Swim Instructor)
Peer Math tutor(2 hours a week)
Assistant Director of Youth Swimming Program

:::Community Service::: (Over 300 hours)
60 Hours at hospital
60 Hours at Public libary
60 Hours at Kynder-Camp
Play once a week the piano for pediatric patients at local hospital

Multiple Scerolis Walk Volunteer
Coordinator for Special Olympics in Pennsylvania
Host Speaker for Persian School
Seasonally go to Homeless Shelter in NYC and feed and entertain needy
Teacher at Persian School

:::AP Classes:::
Only AP US History this year(all thats offered)

Plan to take in junior year AP Calculus, AP US Gov, AP Computer Science, AP CHemistry, AP US history, AP Macroeconomics

:::Clubs:::
Interact Club, Math Team, Debate Team, Science Team, Newspaper, ***Principals Cabinet Member(exclusively selected) I play JV Tennis and JV track

:::Miscalleanous:::
Play the piano for 6 years
Can use 3 programming languages
CPR/Lifeguard/First Aide/Swim Instructing Certified

::: Near-Future Projects:::
Attending Nation Youth Leadership Forum for Medicine in D.C.
Doing Cancer Research at a university hospital
starting a improving swimming program for physically impaired
Becoming an Emergency Ambulance Corps volunteer

I am Iranian American so im not sure if that is considered minority.

I am terribly sorry for writing so much... I tried to include as much detail as i could so i could give whoever is willing to respond as much info to work with as possible. Thank you and i hope someone will respond.

Also if i need to improve in different areas or do something extra please include in response

Thanks again

By AnalMan on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 05:44 pm: Edit

o yes i forgot to include that i volunteer at a Veterans Home and helped in rebuilding and repairing my Persian School that was renovated

By AnalMan on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 05:55 pm: Edit

before anyone responds. These are the schools that i would like to attend. TEll me the percentages of me getting in or the chance of getting in, Thanks:

First to last desire:
UPenn
Columbia
Cornell
Princeton
UMich
John Hopkins
Northwestern

And before anyone says this...i truly enjoy all the activities i do. i do not do them just for college. I have passion for fun and work so i try to interweave them into one. I like what i do and i dont feel that i have done anything excessively. Please respond. Thanks

By AnalMan on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 11:14 pm: Edit

One another really important EC that i didnt mention which is really stupid of me cus its one of my best ones is that i traveled to Honduras to build a home for the needy paying all the expenses with money from my job

PPPPPPPLEASE SOMEONE RESPOND!!!

By Brian on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 08:53 pm: Edit

If your PSAT projects to a 1300 SAT, you are fine for UMich.

By siphertext on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:27 pm: Edit

lol where is this Persian school? id defianetly be interested as I am half Persian. Middle Eastern is considered caucasian i think, but it may be worth trying to use your ethnicity as a minority. You sound fine, just make sure you have solid test scores. They are important but a lot of the kids from this like to give them too much value. with high SAT scores you should be able to get into some of those schools, but with Ivys anything can happen as they recievee a large number of qualified applicants. Good luck and make sure ot hit the tests hard to show your profficency in different areas

By gtfo on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 11:03 pm: Edit

You are a very shallow kid. "Chances into ivy league?" I hope you are denied at every one of them. All your seemingly endless post of 'garbage' tells me is that all you value is reputation. You do not even care about WHAT ivy you get into, so long as it is a member of the highly touted group. You are a jackass and anyone who goes to an ivy league school should be offended by your lack of depth and ignorance. I refuse to respond to idiots from now own.

By Eddie on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:29 am: Edit

Yes, and you are "grade conscious"...Ivy's don't need more of those people, and I don't see how building one home for the needy can get you into college....It's just ridiculous—why would any sensible teenager spend all that effort to build this home for a needy Honduran family? For fun? Obviously not—you did it "just for college." From the looks of it, you are very undedicated to anything....all you do is collect these positions and community service hours. I suggest you stop doing all that excessive work and start working on yourself as a person with a passion

By Anal Man on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 05:45 pm: Edit

I understand all your critism and i thank you for them. I would just like to repsond to the gtfo about the "shallow kid" thing. First off, i due care much about where i want to go to. 3 members of my family went to UPenn and that is ideally where i want to go. I was just listing possible options. I have been to the UPEnn campus and i fell in love with it. I thank you for the critism but you do not have to go at such a harsh way with it. I have many aspirations.

To eddie: How can you judge me whether or not i have passion for these activities or not? I am extremely dedicated to all these activities i do. I put it nearly 25 hours a week working on my activities. I dedicate lots of time and effort because its fun to do. These are my hobbies and like i sed, i try to interweave work with fun. Is that a crime? I am actually insulted that u think that i dont like the things i do and its just for "college." Yes college plays a part into what i do but i choose the things i do based on what i like and enjoy.

If u have any more negative or positive comments i would honestly like to hear them.

Thanks a lot

By hopeful on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 05:54 pm: Edit

It is very hard to judge a sophomore....Post back two years later and then we'll tell ya. HA!

By Bryan P on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 01:38 pm: Edit

PSAT means nothing. I got around an 1150 on the first PSAT and a 1200 on the second. On the other hand, I got a 1370 SATI. If you got a 1300 on the PSAT, depending on your current grade level, your SAT is likely to be much higher, especially if you study.

By psat on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:40 pm: Edit

PSAT is stoopid. I got like 1160 on it and just 6-8 months later with no prep, I got a 1560 on SAT. Don't use PSAT to project, it's only there for National Merit.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page