Duke, Rice, Emory after Nov SAT Scores

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Duke, Rice, Emory after Nov SAT Scores
By Richard from FL on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 09:54 am: Edit

Here are my stats... What are my chances.

White Male in Florida

GPA 3.43 Academic UW, 4.03 Academic W (+1.0 for AP and +.5 for Honors)

I rank 47/444 in a competitive public in Florida (we ranked 3rd in the state in most standardized tests, avg sat about 1100, but our top 25% is ridiculously competitive.

2 Years of Varsity Swimming, this year I am captain of a team that went from a rebuilding year last year to 3rd in the district. I won consols in District for the 100 breast 2 years in a row (9th out of about 50 kids). I also do club swimming. I didn't do swimming in 9th and 10th because i was kind of oblivious to the fact i needed to do things out of school.

6 Years of Church Youth Group Involvement, I have been one of the major cogs in the youth group, I spearheaded an effort to start some really tough bible study classes, some really cool stuff actually, lots of debate about doctrine, theology and church policy... I do the mission trip every year, I teach Vacation Bible School every year, and I go to youth group every sunday, but i don't come off as a holier than thou bible beater, and I won't, I take these classes because they are interesting, thats all...

YPAC- Co-Founded A Political Club by the name YPAC- to get kids involved in political activism. Its an interest club. We have talked some to our congressional representative, but we haven't really accomplished much (we started the end of junior year)

Piano - I have played as a hobby since 3rd grade (lessons and such, now i just play around)

Testing

SAT 1520 (780M/740V)
SAT 2's (780 Writing, 750 Math 2C, 740 Chem)
AP's 5 USGOV, 5 Comp Gov, 5 English, 4 Chem, 3 Calc BC

Courseload: Freshman Year 4 honors 2 regular (grad required spanish/pe) Soph 4 honors, 2 regular (grad required spanish/drivers ed/pe).
Junior 4 AP, 2 honors. Senior 6 AP, 1 regular (TA for english)

Recs- Solid, Pro's: Creative, Innovative, Analytical, Tons of Potential, Can Apply Himself if he wants to.
Cons: Disorganized, can lose focus easily, sometimes fails to keep up with assignments, although this never seems to harm him on tests or quizzes.

By Richard from FL on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Please respond...

By whoa! on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 10:00 pm: Edit

6 AP's senior year?

By Richard from FL on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:54 pm: Edit

yep, and thats the norm for people in the top 10% of my class, its a rat race...

By Red on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Do you happen to go to Stanton or Paxon?

By Richard from FL on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:29 pm: Edit

No, I go to Tampa Plant.

By college on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 06:56 am: Edit

You have a good shot at Duke and Rice. (Your GPA sets you off a little bit).
But, apply to Emory as your backup.

By Richard from FL on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Ok here is my list as of now, any other suggestions to add/omit? I am currently undeclared, I want to do a job that is fun and involves lots of people. So far I have...

Duke, Rice, Emory, Wake Forest, Tulane, Miami (FL), UF

Other possibilities include Dartmouth, UPenn, Georgetown, Northwestern, Georgia Tech (if I commit to math or business), and UVA.

Oh and has anyone here done STATS EVAL? How long does it take? Is it helpful to someone like me, since at this point it is a crapshoot? Is it worth the cost?

By Richard from FL on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 03:24 pm: Edit

Also JHU

By Richard from FL on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 08:05 pm: Edit

Also NYU Stern.. anyone? I think I want to major in Business or Econ...

By Youre better than Rice on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 07:01 am: Edit

You're underselling yourself, Richard.
Apply to all the IVY's; according to me, you will get into three, at the very least.

By Hob on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 07:58 am: Edit

What about the IVY's ?

Don't be stupid -- apply to the IVY's. My guess is that you'll get into a few...

By Richard from FL on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 08:36 am: Edit

Well I decided I will apply to one IVY, the one I like, UPenn Wharton. The other schools I am going to apply to are NYU Stern, Duke, Emory, Tulane, Miami (super fallback) and UF. I was considering the other ivies, but the only one that would do anything for me are HY, and I have a snowballs chance in hell at HY anyway. The at least 3 I would get into (most likely 3 out of Dart Brown Cornell UPenn) would, with the exception of Penn, not be schools I liked. If you noticed, I also dropped Rice from the list, but I am considering adding it again since it only requires one essay (It doesn't really need the CA personal statement, since, on the Rice app, it only asks for one essay). In my opinion, Rice is too small and to science/engineering heavy for me.

By Richard from FL on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 08:41 am: Edit

I could apply to Columbia, although their app takes FOREVER if i want to apply on a whim. Also, they are much more selective than UPenn, most likely even that of the Wharton school. Also, If you all want to see the essay that is going with this app (in essence, my full package) look in the how's my UPenn essay thread, its towards the bottom.

By Richard from FL on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 11:42 am: Edit

Wow, I just paid for a Go4Ivy stats eval, and it gave me a whopping 62% chance at Upenn, a 74% chance at Duke, and a 71% chance at Emory. I was shocked....

By Richard from FL on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 11:48 am: Edit

Compare this to my (outdated)Sheppard preditions (with a 5 EC rating)67 Duke, 50 Upenn, 95 Emory (not possible due to the Tufts/Emory/NYU Game, and 95% NYU. I am worried that these predictors place way too much emphasis on my SAT scores and are really overestimating my chances... Should I take these predictions at face value? Should I reach higher, or is my list fine...

By Dave Berry on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Why not try a College Confidential Stats Evaluation, Richard? It's a detailed narrative that will give you an in-depth and personalized evaluation of your chances at your candidate colleges, suggestions on other schools that may be a good match, and insights into how to improve your profile, plus much more. Best of all, a real, live human being (yours truly) does the evaluation for you, thus taking intangibles into consideration. No messy, impersonal computer programs.

By Richard from FL on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Sounds enticing, maybe if i can scrounge together some change... I just blew 30 on Go4Ivy this morning.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page