African-American Student At Stanford...ED CHANCES??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: African-American Student At Stanford...ED CHANCES??
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through November 07, 2002  15   11/07 10:25am

By wow on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 06:09 pm: Edit

You will easily be accepted. You are amazing at sports by your varsity letters, SAT is very, very high, and your GPA is extraordinary. Most importantly, you're AA so, I wouldn't worry at all. You will get in.

By veenapaddy on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 12:31 pm: Edit

hah, i think so cuz i kno so many who will tell me "americans are dumb". I look at them and they tell me "So, u studied in an international school, you are half american, support them, they are dumb anyway!". Im sick of the attitude...

By wow on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 01:09 pm: Edit

sorry my chances, I made a mistake in my post when I said, your SAT is "very, very high." It definately isn't. Your SAT is a little below decent, II's are low, but GPA is pretty good. If you were Caucasian or Asian American, you would most definately be rejected to Stanford unless you're being recruited. You're AA, so these scores are probably extraordinary for AA's. So, you'll get in!

By mychances on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Hey.. just an update.. I got my new SAT I back today. I went up 140pts on verbal and got a 790, but down on math and got a 590. However, my composite best score is a 1400. Just wondering if that changed anyone's opinion about my chances...thanks

By olivegar on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 07:12 pm: Edit

ya, now ur chances are 75%, good job, howd u raise ur score so much?

By mychances on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 07:42 pm: Edit

i have no idea.. well, actually this time.. i didn't use the princeton review strategy i used on the first one to answer critical reading questions. For those of you that don't know, the strategy is simply to read the italicized summary before the passage. Then, look through the questions and figure out which ones you should answer blah blah blah.... but this time, i actually read the passages from top to bottom and ended up with about 10mins left with each section to spare. i went over some vocab sporadically and got good sleep the night before the test. besides that, im not sure what else contributed to my 140 point jump.

By damnshitfuck on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Holyshit my chances! You got a 790 in verbal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're a definate shoe-in. Damn, how long did you study for that?

By mychances on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 08:24 pm: Edit

honestly.. i didn't. I really suprised myself. I'm definately a strong writer and reader (sortof). i got a 4 and 5 on my English AP exams, so I guess that says something about me as an English student (maybe not). Any other opinions?

p.s. i heard somewhere that there are only 61 blacks in the country with 1500+ sat and something like only 150 blacks with verbal SAT's over 700 or 750. Has anyone else heard this? It's really kind of sad if it's true.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Congratulations on raising your score so much. I would bet my mortgage that Stanford will accept you. Your biking EC, especially the fund raiser that you did, combined with your awesome verbal score would make you a solid candidate even if you were not black.

Colleges like Stanford look for students who have ther grades, scores, curriculum -- plus -- in a perfect world, some kind of unusual defining passion. And they want students who are mature and independent, and your bike trip indicates that you have those traits, too.

As an African American, I also am happy to see that you studied for the SAT, including taking the prep course. Too often black folks don't study for the test. They assume it's racist, and they think that doing well is a matter only of good luck. Meanwhile, the people of all races who score high tend to have prepped hard and long for the test and to do what's most important: take lots of tough courses.

As for your question about how blacks score on the SAT, the best source of that info is the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education. It compiles that kind of info. Check their web site. I get the journal, and have seen the stats, and as I remember, there really are only a couple of hundred African Americans who do score 750 or higher on the SAT v or m.

I also have talked to a former adcom for Brown who said that when it came to blacks scoring 1400 or higher, there are relatively few who do this, so the Ivies and similar schools are very likely to admit such students unless they have done something major wrong such as cheating in school or writing an essay that, for instance, disparages other races or people of different serxual orientation. Of course, if they have a horribly low gpa, that also would prevent their admission.

My son had 1410 SAT, but only a C+ unweighted, and was rejected by the one Ivy he applied to, though he was accepted by 2 top 25 colleges. His EC was awesome, curriculum was IB. He just hated studying, and his gpa reflected that dislike.

Oh, I went to Stanford for grad school. Lovely campus. Cool people. I hope you enjoy it.

What are you planning on majoring in?

I also would love to hear about your LEAD experiences, and about any other summer enrichment programs that you have done.

I have a 14-year-old son who, unlike his brother, does study and does like academics, so LEAD might be a program he'd be interested in. He already has a 1200 SAT, so my fingers are crossed that he will stay on track academically. He may go to a science/math program this summer at Michigan. He also likes writing and philosophy, so if you have suggestions for him, please let me know.

Good luck! Do post when you hear the good news.

By mychances on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Thanks for the encouraging post Northstarmom! To answer a few of your questions...

I'm still relatively undecided as to what I want to major in. I'm thinking about economics, communications, english, psychology, history, sociology, and philosophy. If you can't tell, im more of a reading/writing type of guy.

To answer your question about LEAD...
Personally, I thought it was a good program. Although we didn't go too deep into any subject in the business world, it was a good overview and worked to steer my interests to something business related. I reccomend that your son at least think about attending. It's a pretty selective program, but from what you posted about your son, it sounds like he has a pretty good shot.

What grad school did you go to at Stanford?

thanx.. anyone else care to post about mychances?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 07:03 pm: Edit

I was in the masters program in communications. It was not a great program for people interested in working in journalism because it did not require much hands on experience. However, the Stanford name did open the door to my getting employment, and I had a great time during my one year there.

Thanks for the info on lead.

By Nkemdilim Ezeife on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 08:08 pm: Edit

mychances, I'd say you have very good chances of getting into Stanford. Like you, I am also an intelligent black student who's a high school senior. You also seem to have a lot of extracurriculars which is good.
I met many other smart black students like myself in the MIT MITE2S Program. It was really challenging but was one of the best experiences of my life.

By mychances on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:44 am: Edit

Nkemdilim Ezeife...

Wow! I went to the MIT website after reading your post and read about the MITE2S program. They really admit a ton of kids from that program to the school. Good Deal. What school do you want to go to?

I also was selected to attend a weekend at Amherst College earlier this year. From the literature they gave us, it says that 75% of the kids who attended the weekend choose to apply, and 75% of them get in. Do you know any other programs like that at other schools where they are basically admitting kids before they even apply? Just wondering...

Anyone else feel like posting about mychances at Stanford?

-post.

By mychances on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 09:24 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Dadster on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Decent, mychances, very decent. Your standardized test scores are a bit light, but your activities and URM status may still close the deal. Good luck!

By mychances on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 12:16 am: Edit

anyone else have an opinion?

for those of you that haven't read all the posts.. i re-took the SAT in november and got 790 Verbal. my best composite SAT is 1400.

By mychances on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 01:07 am: Edit

bump

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 10:50 pm: Edit

I just got my Journal of Blacks in Higher Ed, and thought you'd like to know the most recent stats on blacks and SATs.

Your most recent scores were 790 V, 590 Math. Your best math was 610. Check out these figures from the 2002 SAT. Incidentally, 122,684 blacks took the test.

Only 218 blacks scored 750 or above on the verbal. That's just .18% of black test takers who scored that high. Only 195 blacks scored trhat high on the math.

Only 838 scored 700 or above on the math. Only 822 blacks scored that high on the verbal.

For everyone, 26,838 scored at least 750 on the math and 20,160 scored that high on the verbal. For everyone, 83,689 scored at least a 700 on the verbal, 59,662 scored at least that high on the math.

Oh, and this year, Stanford acepted 295 blacks, and had a black student yield of 64.4%. They did not release what percentage of black applicants were accepted.

As the Journal said, "in a race-neutral admissions environment, high-ranking colleges and universities will choose their first-year students from a pool in which there will be very few blacks." Of course, colleges are not race neutral, so the statement is referring to a hypothetical.

By Junior on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 03:47 pm: Edit

Do you know where I can get stats like this for Hispanics??

By green destiny on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 12:20 am: Edit

sigh.. I would ask for stats such as those for asians... but.... I guess you all know the problem with that...

for the love of god why? why can't I be black why?!?!?

By dsafkjal on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 12:34 am: Edit

anybody know what the acceptance rate for the stanford minority visitation program is??

By dsafkjal on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 12:45 am: Edit

i mean, people who were accepted to the program and then decided to apply for college; what percent of those get in?

By dsa on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:30 am: Edit

Let's just look at the facts. It'd be nice to say "merit is the only thing that really matters, race is secondary," but that's not true. The truth is that there are lower expectations for blacks and hispanics than for whites and asians. This guy has parents from Williams and Vassar, an uncle from Stanford Law, and goes to a prestigious prep school, yet he has it easier than a lower-middle class white kid with blue collar parents. Fair?

By Junior on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:46 am: Edit

I'm sure the college will take into account that his parents went to prestigious colleges and then his chances aren't as high as you'd think. They are only higher when you are black or hispanic and you come from a very humble socioeconomic background.But if they don't consider it and treat him as any other black person, then I agree with you, it isn't fair.

By mychances on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 10:20 pm: Edit

bump.. just in case you didn't read all the posts.. my new SAT I is

790 Verbal
610 Math

By Frank Barone on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 01:36 am: Edit

FIRST POST: -SAT: 650V 610M...i took them again and am waiting for my scores. I think i did better on verbal but worse on math.
BETTER?? What in GOD's TOILET did you do to raise that verbal score?! If true, kickass job.

By Frank again on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 01:38 am: Edit

actually i just saw..ur new math is 590, non dire bugie!

By mychances on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:11 pm: Edit

what does "non dire bugie" mean? I'm guessing it's something bad.. sigh..

By dont worry on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 03:49 pm: Edit

means "don't lie"

By mychances on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 09:15 pm: Edit

oh.. ok
i guess he misunderstood what i was trying to say.

to clear things up about my SAT I:

my old SAT I: 650V 610M
my NEW SAT I: 790V 590M

Stanford takes the best composite score.. so that would be the old 610M and the new 790V.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page