Chances At Harvard, Yale, and Other Ivy League College's

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Chances At Harvard, Yale, and Other Ivy League College's
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through November 05, 2002  14   11/05 06:36pm

By Idiot on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Paranoid---

Screw you ok? Why the hell do you even ask anyone. Of course you gonna get in with those scores and a legacy like that. Save yourself the trouble and stop worrying. I guarantee every school will accept you otherwise they should shoot themselves

By John Harvard on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:10 am: Edit

All of you sure have the qualifications, I am a very very poor test taker, I mean pathetic, but I still managed to get into the intensive summer school program at Harvard U. Listen folks, my time at Harvard taught me that Harvard isnt about test scores or impressive academics, its about personality and the powerful potential to learn. You can be the top ranked student in the country, but if you're an •••••••, you ain't going no where. And what do the good old admissions officers at Harvard do when you check for financial aid or you show off on your admissions essay??? Well, lets just say you receive one of them thin envelopes. So follow my advice guys, seriously, the competition is tough, but just be yourself, personality is what counts at Harvard. Good luck to you all.

By Headfones (Headfones) on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:20 am: Edit

you must be incredibly rich

By moo on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 09:03 pm: Edit

They reject you if you apply for financial aid??

By Jim on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 09:21 pm: Edit

-Paranoid

Are u trying to make people feel like insignificant little specs on the earth by coming here and posting those stats. You know you can make it into ANY college. DONT RUB IT IN! "I made a 1600, but i only took it twice" Come on. Please... People like you make people scared to even consider applying to an ivy. You are doubtful with stats like that? Or did you just come into brag and boast?

By Zhou Jiang on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:00 pm: Edit

A 1600 and 800's do not guarantee anything. Harvard still rejects 33% of its applicants with 1600's. My friend has a 1600, is his guaranteed anything? No, of course not. Why do you think Harvard has an interview? Because it wants students who are not only smart but have character. Coming in here to brag about your "accomplishments" is not exactly considered polite or good character. Not to mention that applying to all those colleges is a detriment to your chances since it requires effort that could be well spent on ensuring that your more important essays be better written. Your recommendations from your teacher and counselors would matter significantly. What's my prediction? You might make it if you don't act so conceited during your interviews.

By Zhou Jiang on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:06 pm: Edit

By the way, I would like to note that since you 800 on the SAT II Writing and a 1600 on the SAT I, you should have at the very least proof-read it to find the multiple spelling errors in it. Not to mention that you seem to like make constant use of sentence fragments. I also note consistent grammar mistakes and improper capitalization of words. You seem to also like to use slang and I frankly expected better vocabulary from someone whi your "accomplishments."

By Tupac4ever (Tupac4ever) on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Hi everyone, I am currently a junior in California. I am pretty nervous about college and would appreciate any honest feedback.

SAT:1520
SAT2:
MathIIC:800
Chem:800
Writing:750
UnWeighted GPA: 3.65
Weighted GPA:4.04
I took 3 Honors classes last year and am currently taking 6 Ap Classes. I am getting great grades this year and hope to raise my GPA drastically.

ECs: Speech and debate 2 years, won novice tournaments.
NASA Space Experiment Module project, coleader of project mananagement and leader of communications.
9th in CA at a French Competition
200 community service hours. won an award for getting 100 during the academic school year.
Participated in several Math Competitions and qualified for the AIME last year.
currently in FBLA and Key Club

Can you please tell me if i have a shot at getting into colleges like Stanford, MIT, UC Berkley, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.

Also i am an Indian (Asian) Male.

By asdf on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:40 pm: Edit

Zhou Jiang,

Your last post screams I NEED A LIFE. Yes, you need a life.

By asdf on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:41 pm: Edit

I'm smart, and i dont know how to spell.

By Tupac4ever (Tupac4ever) on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:58 pm: Edit

Can someone please tell me my chances! I am two posts up!

By Zhou Jiang on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 12:32 am: Edit

asdf: I do have a life. It is my choice what I decide to spend it on. If I choose to do extracurriculars and do activities I like, what harm can it do? What you said is the typical response of those who seek to end a debate through unintelligent means. What does my 'life' have to do with this ? I don't expect that all smart people can spell or write properly but I do expect that people with a 800 on the SAT II Writing not make stupid errors with grammar and capitalization since the test is graded partially on that.
Tupac4Ever: You have a pretty good chance at Berkeley and a decent shot at the others. It all depends on your class rank and how much you can raise your GPA, and of course, all your essays and recommendations.

By samantha on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:06 am: Edit

dear mr. international guy with a 1600 SAT and 800s SATIIs with parents who went to harvard,

the only thing you need to do now in order to absolutely secure a place at harvard is to admit that you're gay.

By Weasley on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:14 am: Edit

Paranoid, if you don't get in... the universe might implode.

Anyway what do you guys think of my chances for Stanford? I am an international student currently studying at a Public school (probably the 1st/2nd best in the nation) in the US.

My credentials:

SAT: 1560 (800 M, 760 V)
SAT II's: 780 Math IIC, 800 Physics, 800 Chemistry, 760 American History, 750 English
Average: 97.1 (we don't have a GPA)

AP's taken: American History AP, European History AP, Physics B, Calculus BC, Psychology AP

5's on all but American History (4)

Currently taking: AP Physics C, Multivariable Calculus, AP English, AP US History, AP Macroeconomics, Physical Chemistry (advanced course in Physics/Chemistry, beyond AP)

EC:

Chair of Model UN Club
Vice-President of Science Olympiad Club
Editor for School Math magazine
Writer for School Science magazine
Writer for School Newspaper
Writer for popular School Magazine
Member of National Honor Society (ARISTA)
Tennis Team 1 term
Indoor Track Tearm 1 term
Outdoor Track Team 1 term
Did INTEL Science Research
Interned at a Law Office for 1.5 years
Qualifier for AIME
AMC-10 School champion
Member of Red Cross Chapter (120 hours of service)
Member of Key Club (80 hours of service)
Community Service at local Hospital (60 hours)
Other Community Service (140 hours)
Took a summer course in Math at Stanford
Took a College course in Math/Physics
Great recommendations
Strong essay

I have won a number of awards at various conferences (Brown, Yale, Harvard) in Model UN.

My choices:

#1 Stanford/Caltech
#2 MIT
#3 Cornell
#4 Carnegie-Mellon

By Sam on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 10:37 am: Edit

Harvard judges on character? What about other Ivy's?

By guest on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 01:55 am: Edit

What are you guys?

By Jag Senna on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Hey im just wondering u all, i have one more chance to take the tests before college, and Im wondering which to take, SAT1 or SAT2?
My SAT Score is 1430 (720M 710V) and my
SAT 2 score: 790Physics, 750Math2c and 650Writing
im almost certain I can do better on the SAT2 writing and the SAT1, as i have taken them only once. (i know, i left it late, that was stupid)

Which one is worth taking?

Im also minority living outside the US, what r my chances of getting in to top schools if i do improve my scores a bit? I have tons of ECAs and im confident with my teacher references.

By OdleNewport on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 02:14 am: Edit

Paranoid,
Why don't you start another college for statistically strong people who have no common sense? Come on! The ony reason you might not get into Harvard or Yale is that they might want humble applicants. How much sleep do you get per night by the way? Are you a coffee addict?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page