What are my chances at Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Brown, Dart

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: What are my chances at Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Brown, Dart
By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 09:57 am: Edit

Hey everyone!

What are my chances (preferably in %) of getting into the following schools:

Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Swarthmore, Williams

- My parents are originally from India.
- I have a younger and older brother, the latter graduated from Brown
- The last good book I've read-The Life of Pi
- My favorite color is Green
- I want to major in Economics/Business Finance

- I go to a fairly large public school in the suburbs of Massachusetts
- SATS: 1430 (700V, 730M)
- SAT IIs: 700 Writing, 750 Biology, 710 Math
- Ranked 16/330 GPA: 3.98 Weighted
- I take all the hardest courses available, including 2 languages: Spanish and German (taking all APs senior year including both languages)
- I didn't think I could handle 2 languages freshman year because I was a moron, so sophomore year I took German I,II, and III, and got a B+ for the year (will that have a negative effect for admissions officers?)

- Department History award (2 times)
- Department English award (1 time)
- Academic excellence award 4 years
- A bunch of other bullsh*t awards not worth mentioning

- Varsity volleyball for 3 years
- Team Captain senior year
- Competed in MAA Tournament twice

- President of Sophomore Class
- President of Junior Class
- President of Senior Class
(no one in school's history has been elected president 3 times)
- President of National Honor Society
- Treasurer of German Honor Society
- Treasurer of Student Council (in student council as regular member for 4 years)

- The usual bullsh*t: Spanish club, German club, + all this other crap that I won't put in my application because it looks cheesy as hell

- For 2 months, taught inner-city Boston youth about business and economics through Junior Achievements program
- Worked with MCEE (Mass. Council of Economic Education) to conduct surveys of economic literacy, lead seminars on the topic, various other projects
- Implemented 'Savings Makes Cents' program into my town's middle school curriculum through help w/ the State Treasurer's Office and local bank. This program teaches kids about banking and how money grows, what to do w/ it, etc.

Freshman Summer:
- Volunteered at a hospital for 150 hours (the usual bullsh*t)
Sophomore Summer:
- Took Business Finance/Economics course at Columbia University through summer program
Junior Year:
- Spent 7 weeks in Germany, Austria, Switzerland through foreign exchange program (best summer of my life)

- My essay is strong; focuses on my passion for economics, what I've done through my programs and leadership
- My recs are pretty strong

I wish all of you a great time at whatever college you choose to attend. Thanks for taking time to read my post.

By Rossler (Rossler) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 10:46 am: Edit

I don't think you have much of a chance. Most of the elite colleges prefer applicants who like the primary colors (such as red and blue). But if you change your color preference then I think you have a decent shot!

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

bump

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:01 pm: Edit

bump #2

By Yonif18 (Yonif18) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:06 pm: Edit

Alimshk, I think you are living proof of why 1600, Class Rank 1 kids aren't automoatically in, while a mid-1400 kid gets into the Ivies. You seemed to have actually DONE something during your high school years, and I think most admissions boards will notice that quickly. Your leadership credentials is very nice, your athlete status is a plus, and the inner-city teaching thing sounds interesting. I say you have about a 70% chance at all of the colleges listed, and I bet three or four of your schools listed will admit you. GOOD LUCK!

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate your input. Good luck to you too )

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:41 pm: Edit

bump #3 (wow, same key)

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:04 pm: Edit

bump #4

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:15 pm: Edit

Leadership and ECs are excellent.
A little weak on honors... but yeah. decent shot. I wouldn't bet as high as 70% though.

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

<Please do not BUMP your posts more than once a day. If people have anything to say, they will say it. Even if they don't have anything to say, some will say something anyway. Excesssive bumps just clutter the threads. Please be patient. --Moderator Obiwan>

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Sorry bout that. This is my first time on the message board, I just registered yesterday. Won't happen again

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

<Not a problem. We know it happens for first time users. --Obiwan>

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 06:05 pm: Edit

bump #5

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

<Alimshk: this is your 5th "BUMP" today, this one after previous caution which you acknowledged. Continued excess bumping will get this thread closed; continued bumping around the board will get you banned. --Obiwan>

By Fastshak5 (Fastshak5) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

bump #6 (hehe)

By Sheeprun (Sheeprun) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Fastshak5 banned. (hehe)

<moderator>

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Anyone else have any constructive critisism for me? Be as brutally honest as possible. Thanks to everyone who has given me advice.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

20-30% at all.. from Harvard-Brown which is pretty good, no bullsh*t.

I think that's probably the best percentage you are going to get unless you are inhuman and other wordly in terms of being a student and doing things on your own. You have the same chances as any other sane or normal great/motivated student.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 09:43 am: Edit

Thanks man. I really appreciate the input.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 09:02 am: Edit

bump

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 09:28 am: Edit

Eh your brother is in Brown, I'd say you are definately in.

Please reply to Aiming High if you haven't.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 09:35 am: Edit

Well, he graduated 3 years ago. Will that make my chances worse than if he currently goes there? He still is involved in the school and interviews applicants in the New York area.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:18 pm: Edit

I don't think the legacy benefit is different if a sibling currently attends or doesn't.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:27 pm: Edit

Ok, thanks for the help

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:39 pm: Edit

You have a decent shot are brown and Dart.HYP will be a slight reach.About 35% chance at HYP(Harvard,yale,princeton).Please eval my stats under

Best Nuclear Engineering Programs

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Thanks for the input. I'll read your post right now. I don't know too much about colleges and nuclear engineering programs but I'll see what I can do.

By Delirious (Delirious) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Hey Alim! They have APs at WA? I never even thought they did...
I'd say that you'll get into one of your choices, but your stats really don't stand out. 16th rank? How can there be so many people be ahead of you?

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 07:41 am: Edit

Alimshk,
Of COURSE you have an excellent chance of being accepted wherever you choose to apply!

Colleges recognize that someone with SAT scores such as yours can do the work---which is ALL that matters. The SAT is NOT a contest to see which student gets the highest score!

The GPA shows that you worked very hard. Colleges do NOT care if someone else got 3.99----when they have your application, they are only looking at you.

Two things on your application require at least a full paragraph or more---even if it means a (see attached) and a separate page: The exchange summer in Europe and the Class President thing. On being Class President, you would want to go into some of the things you actually did--things that show the kind of fine person you are. Perhaps there were some things that were "above the call of duty." The LAST thing you want a college to think is that you served as president for 3 years because of some kind of ongoing popularity contest. List one or two big accomplishments--but be sure to list one "small" accomplishment--the kind where perhaps you went to bat for someone that no one else knew much about.

On your Europe exchange, concentrate more on how the experience broadened your horizons and changed you, rather than what you did and saw.

It always seemed to me that volleyball is all about cooperation --more than most sports; you might want to work in a word or two about that--perhaps how you applied that cooperation to other things you did as class president--and how it helps you in other areas.

Since you seem to recognize the importance of mentioning the last good book you read, consider mentioning several more that show your broad interests. Pick ONE and write ONE enthusiastic comment about it---just to show how you can't seem to curb your excitement for excellent reading experiences!

I would say "good luck" to you, but I don't think you need much.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

Good advice.

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:07 am: Edit

which school in mass you go to? heh

By Greghornphs (Greghornphs) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

<Spammed message deleted. --Moderator Obiwan>

By Greghornphs (Greghornphs) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:18 am: Edit

Oh yeah and to the guy that said color preference matters my favorite color is Blue (preferably dark) and my second favorite color is Red (dark as in CRIMSON) and although black has considerable appeal I would have to go with White as third place. OH!
HEHE
PS To anyone who does not get the CRIMSON joke you are NOT going to Harvard.
PPS Yes I know I mispelled Havard in my first message did you ever see Good Will Hunting? Irish accents on Hah-vahd is the funniest thing ever.

By Evekendel (Evekendel) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 03:39 am: Edit

I think your scores are going to be average for the schools you're applying to. that said, you have a very impressive extracurricular record. i'm also impressed by the inner-city thing. you have what i think makes a really strong application - threads. these admissions committees really like to see you thinking outside of the box and moving beyond the opportunities right in front you. that's want taking advantage of a top-rate undergraduate education is all about. so that you're interested in business/finance AND took courses outside of school AND brought the skills and knowledge you gained into the community speak really well, especially because wall street business types are a dime a dozen at these places, but you've just shown you have a slightly different perspective. and that's what's going get you in. 2 languages - great. are you interested in business business or do you also have an interest in development?

By Cheeseboy2004 (Cheeseboy2004) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 08:08 am: Edit

I don't think you will get in... and not to be mean or anything its just usually if colleges accept people with low scores they really like people who read say Ayn Rand junk not The Life Of Pi stuff which might actually be worth reading. Hehe just a joke to lighten your day. Please respond to my link.

By Rickybondr (Rickybondr) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 11:18 am: Edit

hey alimshk, where in India u from? im interested in going to most of the same schools as you and planning to major in finance or law... not sure of which... i was wondering if u guys could rate me...
-Im a middle class indian kid from a middle class town in NJ.
-I like the color blue

SAT1 - will take in jan, probable get 1530ish
SAT2 - 8002c, 750chem, 740bio
(going to take writing, physics, and us history at the end of junior year)
Ive taken the most rigorous courseload offered at our school and will have 3aps's junior year and all ap's senior year.

HONORS
-Selected as the most prominent sophmore leader and invited to attend HOBY
-Going to receive my Eagle Boy Scout around christmas
-some piano awards, but nothing great... an average pianist
-one of four students in entire schoool who got accepted to COlumbia Science Honors Program - allows u to take classes every saturday with professors at columbia for free..

SPORTS
-sophmore year jv tennis
probably junior and senior year varsity doubles

LEADERSHIP
-trez of freshman and soph class
-trez of student council
-trez of model un
(running for president of student council, and hopefully state treasureer of nj)
-youngest in the last 5 yrs to hold a student conucil position (our school has 2250 kids)

SCHOOL RELATED EC's
-one of the best debators in the history of my high school.. have won at some of the toughest conferences in the nation during soph year
-placed 3rd in fbla state confernce in impromptu speaking and in regional conference placed in top 5% for international business
-and the normal science club, history club, newspaper columnist, young democrats

Volunteer Work
-volunteered close to 200 hrs in 2 yrs
will receive the Presidential award for volunteerism and the Bronze COngressional Award medal

SUMMERS
freshman summer - took computer course at county college
soph summer - attended leadership conference
junior summer - attending a symposium on politics (hopeful gov school)
planning on conducting surverys of aids facilities in India for 2-3 weeks in order to prove that Africa is not the only country that needs money... when i get back here gonna start writing about my experience in india in all the newspapers and magazines and hope that at least the Star Ledger will publish it...

By Rickybondr (Rickybondr) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 11:33 am: Edit

btw.. i also placed around 30th in the state of nj in bio league as a freshman
and i am captain of my odyseey of the miind team which has placed in the top 20 at worlds and no worse than 4th in the state of nj

By Rickybondr (Rickybondr) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 11:43 am: Edit

bump

By Rickybondr (Rickybondr) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 08:30 pm: Edit

bump

By Rickybondr (Rickybondr) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 05:10 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page