"Poor" hispanic - affirmative action enough for Harvard?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: "Poor" hispanic - affirmative action enough for Harvard?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through November 03, 2002  14   11/03 03:09am

By Speakthetruth on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 02:16 pm: Edit

I am sorry to say..but affirmative action hurts minorities more than it helps them. It gives them an advantage to be considered as equals with the rest of the americans? Is that really needed? Due to affirmative action, there are people saying the minorities are dumber than the general population. Just the fact that minorities only feel the need to compete with other minorities rather than the general population goes to show. Race will not take someone through a life, QUALITY Will. You have quality but be the best, not just among hispanics but among the rest. If you try to be the best among all, then you certainly will get in because you will then most definitely top the hispanics.

By bumper on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 10:23 am: Edit

bump

By JSwanz on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 02:25 pm: Edit

I hope the Supreme Court gets rid of affirmative action once and for all. Then the qualified people will have the advantage.

By HI on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Even if they did, their is really no way to stop it. Anyways, Minority, you have a shot at Harvard, and your hispanic background will really help you. I totally understand and agree with you about how its not you that has the problem--you're just taking advantage of the opportunities given. If you didn't i think you were stupid. :)

To Concerned American, you have a good point in some of your later posts. But it is almost sad to say that it is true.

Bty, guys don't just think i'm so whining white kid :). I'm one of those "non-minority minorities".

There's also something else i'd like to add. Many minorities have parents that are richer than non-minority parents, so I don't really believe it has much to do with money in that minorities have less and so less opportunities.

By 94grad on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 05:23 pm: Edit

I'm Hispanic and I must say that I hope affirmative action based on race alone goes into the dustbin of history. When I was applying to college, I saw plenty of black middle-class kids get into selective schools like Princeton and Yale while white kids with better stats got rejected. That seems terribly unfair to me.

I do think that affirmative action based on socioeconomic status (i.e., for kids coming from disadvantaged backgrounds, whatever their race) should continue. But even if this gives someone an "edge" in admissions, that person should still have the basic qualifications to do well at a big-name school.

Having said all that, I think the Hispanic community needs more highly visible well-educated intellectuals. I think the OP has a good chance of getting into a good school.

By CALIFORNIA MONKEY on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 09:51 pm: Edit

the point of affirmative actions is so the students benefiting from it (i.e. Hispanics, African Americans) can take the $$$$ and knowledge they gain through a good education back to the communities they came from. Granted, it RARELY happens - most people forget their roots - , but those that go back DO make a difference. Affirmative action is the ONLY effective way to help URM's become better educated. I agree that America should be a "meritocracy" like Concerned American said, BUT one has to consider other factors - such as socioeconomic ones. If we don't give URM's somewhat of a chance they'd always be at the bottom. Now tell me, is that fair? Some people mistake what equal opportunity means, and they appear to be woefully ignorant. I'm Asian American, by the way, so I'm not benefiting from affirmative action at all - I just think it is a good policy and should be reinstated in institutions that have removed it.

By Concerned American on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 11:35 pm: Edit

There is a much more effective way to help URMs become better educated, and that is increased funding for inner city schools. That way, all minorities are educated, rather than the few who are lucky to escape to HYPSM.

By equal&opposite on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 02:47 am: Edit

you all can just take your affirmative action and shove it up your colorful arses. back in the day, when race was still a very big deal in the college admissions process, hundreds of thousands of asian americans were rejected from top notch UCs even as less qualified hispanics and african americans were gobbled up by those same schools like hotcakes. there is a point where equality becomes bias, rectitude becomes overcompensation, and affirmative action becomes yet another ploy by the government to level off the bell curve of society into easily controlled homogenous drones. i say extend laissez-faire to the educational system as well. else we only succeed in disadvantaging our own society.

By Concerned American on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 11:38 am: Edit

Eloquent and true, minus the "colorful arse" bit, which was rude.

By Kason (Kason) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:13 am: Edit

Affirmative action may seem unfair,however the scales have to be balanced. Most of the opposers of affirmative action are missing the big picture. It is not meant to act as a way to simply get more minorities into college but as a ploy to achieve social justice. Its focus is to develop and support knowledge for minorities so that the dependency cycle will end. All you want to see is you have to work a bit harder to get into college. Waaaa... See the bigger picture

By Nowhere Man on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 12:12 am: Edit

WAAAA!!!!!!!

I can't into college because my scores are so bad!

I think I'll use my race to get in.

Shut up, everyone...you just don't see the big picture. College admissions are Kason's personal tool for social change.

By JohnDoe on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 10:45 am: Edit

The most qualified should be accepted therefore affirmative action is wrong. It violates the 14th amendment as well as the Civil rights Act of 1964.

By Dana on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:26 pm: Edit

HEY GUYS WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!!!! THE US SUPREME COURT VOTED AGAINST AFFIRMATIVE ACTION A FEW YEARS AGO...IT WAS DEEMED UNCONSTITUTIONAL AND QUOTAS WERE ALSO ELIMINATED. AND FOR THE MOST PART IT NO LONGERT EXISTS! Check you facts people, the TRUTH is out there!! Ask a reputable historian and they will tell you it was ruled as unconstituional and was elimated. Don't they teach you these things in school? To this day cases are brought before the court and they still consider it unconstituional, so minorites do not get a free ride-GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid=34&in=us&cat=affirmative_action

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page