Question about ethnicity about college application

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Question about ethnicity about college application
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through October 19, 2002  8   10/19 04:58pm

By xiaomei on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 11:46 pm: Edit

How about Chinese-Americans from Singapore?

By sadbuttrue on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 12:29 am: Edit

yea too bad chinese people are way smarter than white people...shouldn't have these stupid affirmative action crap. survival of the fittest out there, and if asians are smarter, then let them dominate top colleges.

By bah on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 12:31 am: Edit

Then go to college in your own country if you think things are so much better. chink.

By zxcv on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 12:42 pm: Edit

I live in India. In spite of me being amongst the most mathematically-challenged kids in school, I was able to score a 1430(790 verbal, 640 math), which is a testament to the kind of Math education we receive here in South East Asia. Most kids at my school are capable of scoring 750+ on the math, and at least 10 kids are capable of scoring 700+ on the Verbal, an average which, even on the Verbal, far exceeds what one would expect of most kids from American public schools. However, even though we [Asians] dazzle the world with high test scores, in recent decades, we have failed to contribute to the development of Science and Mathematics in any major way -- for instance, when was the last time an Asian Scientist won a noble prize? Our culture and education system are founded on extreme discipline, which aids the development of logical think while repressing creativity.

By zxcv on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 12:51 pm: Edit

...logical thinking while repressing creativity...,I mean.

By wrong on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 02:12 pm: Edit

when was he last time an asian scientist won a nobel prize????

ummm...this year! koichi tanaka won the chemistry nobel prize. before that? ummm....last year! professor ryoji noyori of kyoto university won it. ummm...before that? hideki shirakawa won in 2000.

check your facts before you speak.

By zxcv on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Okay, well.... I was wrong. Sorry.

By ZYBrains on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:19 pm: Edit

ZXCV,

India is South Asia, not Southeast Asia. SE asia consists of the nations Malaysia, Indonesia, Phillipines, Vietnam, Singapore,etc. Speaking of SE Asia, what about the Chinese kids over there? Aren't they incredibly bright and academically gifted as well?

By Yodaman on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Xiaomei,

Chinese Americans from Singapore? I read somewhere that Singapore's students along with Japan's finished at the top two slots a world math competition a few years ago. Singapore is predominantly Chinese so yeah, so yeah they're pretty damn smart!

By unknown on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:41 pm: Edit

What are my chances at ••••, ass, bitch, ••••, poop, butt ••••, diddly bip, ••••, pock , motherfuck, ••••, dick, rust, bust, nookie wookie pussy???????????!!!!

By Daniel Wong on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 04:48 am: Edit

Sometimes I wish Chinese kids weren't so damn smart. It would make my college applications so much easier. Rejected from MIT, Stanford, Harvard, and Princeton. Admitted and currently attending Columbia though.

By asian on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 02:04 am: Edit

So...if Asian immigrants keep flowing in to the country, it helps the plight of us asians, right?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page