Dorm Rooms and Allergies

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Dorm Rooms and Allergies
By Kwtortoise (Kwtortoise) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Hey parents. I'm a freshman in college, and have been here about a month. Every since I got here, my allergies have been really bad, and over-the-counter medications have not helped. I feel physically sick most of the day. I've limited the source to my dorm room, which is an old type--last on the list to be remodeled. I'm thinking we might have mold, because I have repeatedly cleaned the sources of dust, including having maintinence people vacuum out the air conditioner and change the filter.

The allergies are a lot worse when I am in my room, but they linger throughout the day. Any suggestion how to go about trying to get this taken care of, or switching rooms? I'm thinking it might be too late to switch rooms, and they couldn't change the carpet while we are here. So, I'm a bit stuck. Any advice is appreciated in this odd situation.

As for sources of allergens, it could be anything--the carpet, paint, fixtures, wood furniture, and curtains are all visably old. Thanks.

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

There was a thread about allergies not long ago. Do a search for allegy relief mattress cover. I think it's Valpal's kid who is very allergic. There were some suggestions dealing with dust mites.

By Rhonda63 (Rhonda63) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

Kw -- I think you need to contact reslife and tell them your problem and what you think the source is. It is possible they will move you to a newer dorm based on legitimate health concerns. A first step might be to go to the health center, if you haven't already -- tell them the problem. They may prescribe something, but make sure they're not going to give you medicine that makes you drowsy, b/c then you won't be able to take it during the day.

Please do something about this!!! You should not have to be miserable!!

By Mstee (Mstee) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 11:41 am: Edit

Kwtortoise-- check on availability of another dorm room right away, and see if you can get a note from a doctor, which may help to emphasize the urgency of the problem, your need to move asap. If no rooms are available, get on a waiting list. People do drop out, and a space will open up--you want to be first in line. . .

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

In the interim, try one of the free standing room purifiers with allergy specific filter sizes. your insurance company might help to pay for it.

But, get a doctor's note and get out!!

By Happykid (Happykid) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

Robyrm, are the free standing room purifiers very effective? Do you have personal experience with them? I have dust/pollen allergies, too, and sometimes all my puffers and antihistamines just don't cut it. I have the mite-proof covers on my mattress, pillows and duvet, and I vacuum with my own HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner fairly regularly.

Thanks, to you and anyone else who is familiar with the room purifiers. Specific brands/models, etc.?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page