Georgetown is back!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Georgetown is back!
By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

Just wanted to share the latebreaking news...

Georgetown is BACK on son's list. I'm glad because Georgetown seems to fit ALL of his criteria, but he hated the tour. He said he thinks it may have been just "a bad tour" and wants to reconsider. (remember, it was REALLY cold on the day our our tour and we never stepped inside..once!)

This is a good thing since two smaller northern schools have been removed. But, one "new", larger nothern school has been added.

He's decided that we're done with adding Northern schools to the list...from here on, the additions will be South of NY.

I suggested that he consider Vanderbilt. He asked where it was...when I said it was in Nashville,TN he looked at me like I had two heads. I wish we were close enough to visit the school and the city. I can always order the collegiate choice videos. But, what about the area....what IS Nashville like? Would a AfAm kid from a big city who needs constant activity and a diverse environemnt be ok at Vanderbilt? I know this is a hard question to answer....but we really need to get feedback on some Southern schools.

By Cheers (Cheers) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Nashville/Vanderbuilt would not be my first choice for hyper Afam kid. Nashville is not Atlanta by a long stretch--and the Vanderbuilt social scene is everything PR says.

My cousin got into the med school and left after one year to go to a lower ranked state med school because he and his wife could not tolerate the backwards racial outlook in Nashville. They were not Afam, but were/are deeply involved with the Southern Poverty Law Center c0-founded by Julian Bond.

Another cousin got a full ride to the music school as a fiddle player but swtiched to another Nashville school. If your S is a huge fan of country or alternative country then I would say Nashville might be acceptable.

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

1. It's Vanderbilt, not Vanderbuilt

2. Since I can give you a first hand view, I will. I will admit that I'm not exactly sure what an "Afam" is, but I'm guessing it has something to do with race...and I'll go from there. Here at Vanderbilt, we are not racist, by any stretch of the imagination, and to say Nashville has a "backwards racial outlook" is very unfounded. There are many racial groups. I (being white) am good friends with people from all different backgrounds and all different races. They all would tell you the same thing. Race isn't a factor, unless you're discussing something interesting about your heritage or family. Now, not to say different groups don't self-segregate, I mean, people generally (at least at first) make friends that they can relate with, many times being people of their race...but that's normal I guess. There's no animosity between different groups or anything.

Also, don't believe all the bs you hear about southern racism...it's generally not true. My friend from New York said it's certainly no more racist than NYC. So, my suggestion is you try it out and don't believe everything you hear...

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

1. It's Vanderbilt, not Vanderbuilt

2. Since I can give you a first hand view, I will. I will admit that I'm not exactly sure what an "Afam" is, but I'm guessing it has something to do with race...and I'll go from there. Here at Vanderbilt, we are not racist, by any stretch of the imagination, and to say Nashville has a "backwards racial outlook" is very unfounded. There are many racial groups. I (being white) am good friends with people from all different backgrounds and all different races. They all would tell you the same thing. Race isn't a factor, unless you're discussing something interesting about your heritage or family. Now, not to say different groups don't self-segregate, I mean, people generally (at least at first) make friends that they can relate with, many times being people of their race...but that's normal I guess. There's no animosity between different groups or anything.

Also, don't believe all the bs you hear about southern racism...it's generally not true. My friend from New York said it's certainly no more racist than NYC. So, my suggestion is you try it out and don't believe everything you hear...

By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Thank you both.

It seems difficult to find southern schools where the groups don't self-segregate. Or, maybe that's not just a Southern problem....

By Cheers (Cheers) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 12:54 am: Edit

My bad on the spelling--typing too fast on my way somewhere.

I lived in the deep south for four years so I too can claim a 'first hand view' and my opinions of Nashville still hold.

It is hard to find schools with balance.

Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page