High School Study Abroad

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: High School Study Abroad
By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

One of my twin daughters (soph.) is interested in doing an exchange program for a year or term. I am interested in knowing what the general opinion is with regard to how such an experience is viewed in the college admission process.

It is too early to know what her stats will be, but I am guessing from her grades that her SAT will be above 1300. She wants to go to an LAC with an equestrian program, and is not tied to any particular part of the country.

By Montmammoth (Montmammoth) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

My oldest daughter did her Senior year as an exchange student in Southport, England. It was viewed as a big plus by the college of her choice. It was also good for her in that it forced her to develop her social and "survival" skills. She had a much easier transition to college life because of that experience.

The only thing I can think of for you to watch out for is whether your D's high school accepts foreign credits. Ours did not, and my D had to take her senior year English classes "on line" while in England so she could graduate with her class.

By Annieivy (Annieivy) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I spent half of my junior year in France. From what I'm told, it's not that special of an EC at top colleges. So many kids do this now that it's very common on applications at the most selective schools. But it was so worth it anyway!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page