Question about score conversion

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Question about score conversion
By Kinshasa (Kinshasa) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

I have seen tables with ACT and SAT equivalent scores. Although my S's SAT and ACT were just about the same according to the table, his ACT score report ranked him at a percentile 7 points higher than his equivalent SAT score. For example, if his SAT percentile was 50%, his ACT percentile was 57%.

Do colleges go "by the numbers" or do they look at percentiles reported by the testing organization? Does anyone know?

By Marite (Marite) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

My feeling is that they go by ranges, eg: 700-750 for SAT; but I don't know how they evaluate ACT scores.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

ACT scores at colleges seem lower then their SAT scores. For example a 30 is a great ACT score even though it's corresponding SAT score may not be considered such. I have heard that some schools use different conversion tables and the ones published are outdated. For example a 31 ACT score is 98%. It corresponds with a 1380 SAT which is a much lower percentile. Go by each colleges median scores for your best input.

By Kinshasa (Kinshasa) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 02:18 am: Edit

That makes sense. SAT ranks 86% and ACT 93% for practically the same scores.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page