Princeton Review Fin.Aid Ratings

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Princeton Review Fin.Aid Ratings
By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

I was researching fin aid for the schools my D is applying to and the ranking by Princeton Review do not seem to correspond to info I have read on the board and even our own experience with my S. How accurate do others find it?
These are the ratings:
Pepperdine 73(that seems accurate)
U. San Diego 88
U. Puget Sound 75 (disappointing I had heard that were good with aid?)
Willamette 80
Ithaca 84 (I had heard they were awful but this is an average ranking?)
Trinity 85 (they are good with merit however as well)
Scripps 96 (This is consistent with public input)
U. St. Louis 67 (I had info that they were good, disappointing)
U. Redlands 89 (They are also good with merit however so that will still work)
Santa Clara 81 (Should we drop this one, is this accurate?)
Emory(Was rated I believe 98, this is not on my D list but when my S applied we got no aid at all, which is why I am questioning the ratings)
Input would be appreciated if anyone has experience with aid at these schools or thoughts on their rating system.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

bump

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

I don't really know about most but I have heard that UPS does not offer much need or merit based aid.
It is a good school though, and thats why you apply to more than one, so you can compare if the aid package is important

( actually the girl I know at Scripps is constantly complaining about both Scripps and her aid package, she apparently didn't get anything because the profile figures heavily and this area has seen housing prices skyrocket)

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

The Princeton Review organization offers sound review courses for standardized tests, and their college guide has a lot of good descriptive information on individual schools.

I've not looked at their financial aid ratings, but I have looked at their selectivity ratings, which are not very good. I have never seen or read anything about their data collection or methodologies that would give me confidence in any rating/ranking they would offer.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

I know the Claremont Colleges are usually very generous at least CMC and Pomona so I am hoping Scripps is similar but I am disappointed to hear about Puget Sound. Some folks have said good things about their experience . Can you share more info about Scripps Emeraldkity. My D will visit next month. Her brother at Pomona told her boys were not allowed within a certain number of feet from the Scripps dorms and that did not please her but she won't know til she spends more time there. I agree with their selectivity ratings this year. They were revised a lot and I am not sure either on their methodologies so maybe that is true for finaid as well.

By Twotimer (Twotimer) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 01:41 am: Edit

It is my understanding and experience that each private school has its own formula for calculating need-based aid. For instance, some schools do not count home equity at all, some count it in part, and others count it in its entirety. The same goes for people who are self-employed; different schools have different expenses that they allow/disallow. On and on. So it is very hard to look at a school's overall generosity with need-based financial aid. It is like comparing apples and oranges. Two students whose families net income is exactly the same who apply to the same school may end up with two very different aid packages. The only way to know for sure is to apply and find out.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 02:22 am: Edit

Thanks a lot Twotimer that makes a lot of sense. Is it tacky to call the scools and ask those specific questions or should you wait and see after you get their forms?

By Twotimer (Twotimer) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

It is not at all tacky to call the schools. You do not even have to give your name. When I've done it, I usually say something like, "My child is very interested in your school, and I'd like to know more about your financial aid programs to know whether it is in our financial ballpark." The counselors in the financial aid offices that I've encountered have been very pleasant and willing to provide some, or at least general, answers.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

what I know about scripps is little. For some reason I have heard that Pomona does give great aid, the colleges seem to act independently re admission chancce and aid.
about 1/5th of my daughter grad class are at Pitzer and like it. I doubt if many needed aid.
Her friend who is at scripps I think just didn't want to attend a womens college, and even though is part of consortium, isnt what she wanted. ( parents apparently made her)
We didnt even look, mine wasn't interested in CA

By Anxiousmom (Anxiousmom) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

The princeton review says " Financial Aid Rating. Based on their survey responses, students' satisfaction with the financial aid they receive." (on a scale of one to four stars) In other words, the info in Princeton Review is only how the kid's feel about the Financial Aid they got!!!! This is not useful data. Ignore it, apply to schools you are interested in, and compare actual FA packages!

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

I went back and read the methodology. Supposedly it is based mainly on school reported data but they do also consider student satisfaction. I will definitly call the schools I am worried about and see what they say before my D fills out all her applications. I appreciate all the input. It makes more sense to me now,

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page