ECs and the Newspaper

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: ECs and the Newspaper
By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Is there any value in somehow presenting a newspaper clipping of a college applicant, if the clipping is related to an out of school EC? I know that lots of kids make the papers...science competitions, sports, various academic awards....but the newspaper clippings might not be as necessary for these because the achievement can be mentioned in the "academic awards" section of the ap...and the newspaper wouldn't really add anything. But, what if the newspaper clipping covered something that might not find a home on the application (but was obviously interesting enough to make the paper)?

Would you include it? If so, how?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

It would help if you were more specific about the achievement. It's hard for me to imagine an achievement that couldn't be mentioned in the actual application. Even if it wasn't an official club or job, for instance, it still could probably go under extracurriculars or under honors and awards.

By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

I see what you mean. Well, it was really related to a job, which is related to an EC. But, the newspaper article focuses on recognition for the job, paid by a well regarded political figure...

Then again, the more I think about it....maybe we'd want to avoid the political connection to anything and stick to the achievements....period....no matter who recognized them. Or maybe the GC can mention the article in her rec.

By Momrath (Momrath) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

My son put together separate packages for his two significant ECs which in his case were his interests in art and art history and his involvement in Boy Scouts. These packages included a resume which was basically a list of related awards, accomplishments and leadership roles; additional recommendations; in one case the required essay on "what EC meant the most to you"; and in one case a local newspaper article about a community service project he had organized. I think both of these packages helped to focus on his interests, enhance his commitment and to amplify who he is.

Some people have said that this is overkill and that the application is sufficient to spotlight ECs. I disagree. I think that the colleges are interesting in learning about the applicant's non-academic side and a one-liner, like art or Eagle Scout, shortchanges achievement.

The idea of putting together these resumes was put forward by Dave Berry of this website. He seemed to feel that more is better (within reason, no treatises, please!), but as I said there's been quite a bit of opposition to this idea so maybe the reception would depend on the individual college. I tend to believe that LACs do take the time to scrutinize details.

(OTT: I was going to write take the time to pour over" then I thought it was "pore over" which is it?)

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

I am into the annotated resume as well and agree that a one line item might not do the achievement justice. I don't think you need to add news articles if you can present these accomplishments right on the resume. If this job is on the resume, the annotation can mention that it was recognized in such and such way, if it is significant. My kids did not include news articles about themselves. Actually in our local paper, they seem to be in it almost every week. They have been in articles that center on them. They have had their photo on the front page. None of these were submitted as they did not add anything that the resume did not cover.

I say present these things on the resume and in the essays. You don't need a lot of supplemental stuff beyond these. As well, getting a supplemental recommendation from someone who knows your child outside the classroom also helps to highlight those aspects of him. Between the annotated resume, essays and recs, the picture should be able to be shown.

Susan

By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Lol...no....no cover stories or features on him every week...he would freak out....he already thinks the fact that he was the topic of a couple of articles is "weird" (his word).

I'll take all of your advice on it...as well as the GC's comedic advice "the thicker the file, the thicker the kid".

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Momsdream, you guys live in a city, I live in a rural area. The fact that my kids are nonchalant when they appear in the newspaper as often as they do has more to do with small town news than anything else. They do get a rise when they make the city or large newspapers in the region, which they have many times but not nearly as often as the local newspapers. That is why they do not find it that big of a deal. The fact that your son made a big city newspaper is cool. Still, I think he can "cover" this achievement by mentioning that elsewhere. You don't want to add a bunch of supplemental stuff unless there is NO other way to show such achievements.

Rooting for your son. Keep us abreast of how it all turns out.

Susan

By Momrath (Momrath) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Just to clarify: I wouldn't include an article unless it provided background or context for the project or accomplishment. Those of the "Congratulations for a job well done" type are not appropriate.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page