Help Please-don't know what to do about SAT IIs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Help Please-don't know what to do about SAT IIs
By Primab (Primab) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Hi Parents. I am posting here -already posted in NU and SAT forums. I am freaking out because every practice test I've taken for the SAT II Lit. I have bombed (low 500's). Got 740 on Writing (took last June), consistently getting 700 plus on Math IC practice and need a 3rd. Only 2 weeks left-thinking of cramming for US History (had it last year)even tho I am overwhelmed with homework et al right now..

Applying ED to Northwestern which recommends SAT II's but does not require them. Should I just take the Math IC and send 2 scores-or would that be kiss of death? A low Lit. score might keep me out of the running anyway.

Have any of your kids had this predicament.

Any advice from you is very appreciated.

Thank you.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Since Northwestern doesn't require 3 SAT IIs, don't bother taking a third one unless your back-up schools require 3 SATs and this would be your last chance to meet that requirement.

If you don't get into Northwestern what do your back-uop schools require? If they require 3 SAT IIs if you don't take the third one now, would you still have time to take a 3rd one while meeting those schools' deadlines? If the answer is "no," then you need to take the third one now.

By Primab (Primab) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Thanks Northstarmom. Yes-I would still have time to take a 3rd SAT II for my other schools and then I could study for the History test. I am concerned that most of the ED applicants to Northwestern will have 3 SAT II's and it won't look good if I only have 2. It's a dilemma. I'm gonna try a couple more practice SAT Lit. tests and if they are still awful-I should probably try the History but I don't have enough time to really study for it. I hate this.....but I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

I think you would look better to Northwestern in their EA decisons with 2 strong SAT II scores than you would with 2 strong scores and 1 weak one, regardless of how many the other applicants have.

I'd wait to take that third SAT II until you are assured of a good score.

By Primab (Primab) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice Coureur. I think you are right-and even tho I am applying ED, maybe I could rush the 3rd score from Nov. to them so they'd at least have it.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

You will also do better on IC if you better have to fret about Lit. With History - at least it is something you can prep for. My son has decided to just take IIC this October and put off writing until November because the MC was driving him nuts. Discretion is the better part of valor!

By Primab (Primab) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Hi Ohio Mom! Is your son applying ED anywhere that "recommends" but does not require SAT II's?

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Primab -
he's applying EA at Case (highly recommend SAT II's)- they will have his Chemistry, World History and Math IIC scores when he applies, and the writing score will be available as his application is being evaluated (the EA deadline is Nov. 15 - not Nov 1.).

Although NU states that scores from the October test are last accepted for ED, you might want to call them and see if you could rush the November results. Never hurts to ask.

By Dmd77 (Dmd77) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Oops. Missposted.

By Bettina (Bettina) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

The SATII in Lit is pretty hard. My dd got a 710, which we thought was pretty low, but it is a very high percentile (can't remember), enough that she's not retaking. But if you are getting practice in the 500's, then you might want to take another SATII. This one is not required, right?

By Julia_525 (Julia_525) on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

How are your SAT or ACT scores? S did not submit SAT II scores, but he had a great ACT score.

By Ohmadre (Ohmadre) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 09:09 am: Edit

Just a question - which I am sure you already know the answer to, but, are you able to select which SAT II scores to report, or will they all automatically be reported (as is the case of the SAT I)?

By Jrpar (Jrpar) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 09:27 am: Edit

All of the scores are reported on the score report that goes to colleges (no more "score choice").

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page