GPA Class Rank Update

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: GPA Class Rank Update
By Thumper1 (Thumper1) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

The Guidance Office at DD's school made a decision to find a new formula for computing the weighted GPAs following my query. My daughter's newly computed unweighted GPA is 3.563 (don't know why that changed) and her weighted is 3.666 (she has only taken two honors courses thus far and this is what I had thought her weighted should be). New class rank is now 12/194, down from 10/194. The school has also made the decision to report class rank in deciles rather than specific number (dd is in the first decile) as often the kids within a decile have GPAs that only differ by hundreths of a point. I honestly can't believe they acted so quickly, especially considering how they were so contrary when I first brought this subject to their attention. I'm going to write them a nice thank you!!

By Marite (Marite) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

Good news! Congrats!

By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

Thumper-

Fort hose of us who missed your initial advisement, what is causing you to want to change the methodology, which resulted in a lowering of your Ds rank? Did her GPA go down, as well?

By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Thumper-

For those of us who missed your initial advisement, what is causing you to want to change the methodology, which resulted in a lowering of your Ds rank? Did her GPA go down, as well?

By Thumper1 (Thumper1) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:07 pm: Edit

The school had an odd way of computing weighted GPAs. DD's former weighted was actually LOWER than her unweighted despite the fact that she had taken honors courses. I knew this could not possibly be true. The old formula was an 18 point formula with an odd conversion number. Her previous weighted GPA was 3.44, unweighted 3.597...not possible unless she took lower weighted courses...which she didn't do. I politely pointed this out to the school and they initially said they were correct...then they did some research.

By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Oh...good that you caught that!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Excellent news Thumper. Great catch on your part.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page