Summer Archeological Excavations for college credit

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Summer Archeological Excavations for college credit
By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 08:55 am: Edit

Does anyone know of any ongoing summer archeological excavations for college credit?Preferably Italy or Australia but looking for info. for anywhere. Am looking for something ongoing that people are aware of rather than a general search.Only college not high school.Thank you.

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:04 am: Edit

Check out http://www.earthwatch.org.

Plans for academic credit at http://www.earthwatch.org/education/student/undergrad.html.

All of their archeology expeditions can be found at http://www.earthwatch.org/subject/archaeology.html

My wife and I have been on several of these expeditions (cave exploration in Transylvania and octopus studies in Bermuda) and they are fantastic. It also gives you a chance to travel around the world to places you'd never otherwise get to.

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:32 am: Edit

The University of Chicago has archaelogy digs in Wyoming and New Mexico during the summer for college credit. You can find last summer's information on the U of C website under Academic Depts., Summer Studies.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:53 am: Edit

I would check the schools of archeology at various colleges if you want credit. I'm not sure how much can be found without a little cyber digging as well. SMU in our area does digs, but I don't know where they're digging next summer. I would think that the digs would first be opened up to students at the school who have taken prerequisite courses there, though. Now, I could be totally wrong on that one. I believe that last I heard, there was a most interesting marine dig going on in Matagorda Bay on the gulf. Texas A&M I believe. LaSalle's ship i think. My husband spent months in the Australian outback over the last several years. I'm not aware of any digs there. I'm sure there probably are, and I would imagine them to be very much like the digs among the pueblos in New Mexico. If Australia's where it's at for you, I would suggest contacting one of their universities, perhaps in Sydney, Melbourne or Perth.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. It just seems like I read about these digs after they've already started.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Thank you all. Yes, I did approach some universities in Australia and had some interesting conversations with some jolly good profs..In fact, there is evidence the Phonicians had mines there in the BC's. But the U. in touch with did not have any info. on who may be exploring there. I'm particularly looking for anything interesting by word of mouth, as oftentimes info. about the best sites and are shared in this manner.Will check out your sites and info.Have done this before, that is, gone on excavations for college credit.Am particularly interested in Greece or Italy- did several in Italy years ago.Will know that special something when I see it. Thank you again and may post this again in several months hopefully to find more.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Also, thank you dig. Wow.Must have been thrilling!Will check the site.

By Momsdream (Momsdream) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Best one I've ever seen (and this is sort of a non-serious dig) was on Cinnamon Bay in St. John USVI. They take summer volunteers and pay your room and board in the eco-tents above the site..and one of the world's most beautiful beaches.

That was a few years back....not sure now.

By Momrath (Momrath) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

When we were at Pompeii a couple of years ago we saw a group of American college students doing archeological work. They were actually participating in a bucket brigade under the scorching sun, but what the heck it looked like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I didn't get the name of their group. If any one knows of one that's active in Pompeii, please let me know.

Digmedia, thanks for the Earthwatch link. I'm going to look into their programs.

My son has done two summer programs with ARTIS, in Florence and in Bali. They were more general arts/culture than archeology, but were very well run and reasonably intellectual (fun too). They do qualify as credit at some colleges.

Next summer he needs to find something more in the JOB line -- paid or volunteer is okay but it must feature work, not fun. Any ideas for something that combines Italy and the arts?

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

When I was an anthro student, I worked on digs in Israel and Egypt, as well as many sites in California.

BHG, you might also consider contacting National Geographic. They support many digs around the world.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Concerned; Must have been fabulous.Great days.
By they way, am looking for grown child.
Momrath; Maybe tour guide?, could lead tours for a travel agency, young people are well suited for this type of job, cheerful and high enthusiasm.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page