Mesothelioma Help Needed

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Mesothelioma Help Needed
By Robertv (Robertv) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Hi, I tried this in the Cafe but didn't get any input. Maybe someone here can help.

I'm looking for some kind of medical-related research project for independent study. The teacher will probably be the bio teacher. My uncle has something called "mesothelioma", which has something to do with asbestos. (He used to work with pipes & stuff.) He thinks that mesothelioma would be a good topic to study, and has offered to help share some experiences.

I searched a little and found a lot of lawyer stuff and some medical info. I'm not really sure if this makes sense for a project. I don't want to spend a million hours on this class, but I want something that will look good and maybe be something to put on apps next year. Does mesothelioma make sense as a topic? What kind of stuff could I do?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

If you are interested in the subject, pursue it. If you are just looking for something to dress up your application, don't bother.

What impresses colleges is when students pursue something in depth out of genuine interest, and clearly would pursue the activity whether or not colleges care.

There certainly is plenty of info on mesothelioma if you want to research it.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Mesothelioma is a rare and deadly form of lung cancer that is associated with having breathed asbestos particles at some point. Since many people have been exposed to asbestos on the job, the disease is a rich vein for tort lawyers to mine by suing the victims' former employers.

In order to do original research on mesothelioma you will need to get into a laboratory at a medical school or university that is already working on it. It's usually not feasible to do real medical research on most human diseases at the high school level.

If, on the other hand, you wish to write a paper about mesothelioma summarizing the findings of others and/or discussing the medical, social, and legal issues surrounding the disease, there certainly is a ton of material out there for you to tackle. But that would be more like writing a term paper rather than doing original research.

And as Northstarmom said, whatever you chose to do, do it because you have passion to discover more about mesothelioma or you have a big desire to help its vicitms, not because it will look good on your app. The perfunctory job you are likely to do in the latter case will probably end up looking bad on your app.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Mt. Sinai Hospital and Sloan-Kettering, both in New YOrk City, have extensive research departments dealing with mesothelioma. I suggest you contact them for further information.

By Robertv (Robertv) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure I had anything in mind that would involve New York hospitals, I was thinking more of a simple independent study project. Good ideas, though, maybe there's something there.

By Robertv (Robertv) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

In thinking about this, I'm a little worried that it could take more time than a regular class. I was hoping for an independent study class that would give me a bit of a break.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Looks like what you want is an easy independent study that doesn't take much time and that will be very impressive to top colleges.

That kind of class doesn't exist.

By Robertv (Robertv) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

LOL... you read my mind Northstarmom!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page