Boarding school question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Boarding school question
By Cfunkexonian (Cfunkexonian) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

do international students at boarding schools count as international applicants in college admissions (and unfortunately subjected to lower acceptance rates)?

By Binx (Binx) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 03:51 am: Edit

Not sure what you mean, exactly. Is student a citizen of another country at a US boarding school or vice versa? My S is US citizen, but we live overseas. He qualifies for US aid (because we are US citizens who pay US taxes) and doesn't need a special student visa or anything like that. However, he qualifies as international for such things as getting to stay in dorms over Thanksgiving or Christmas breaks if he needs to.

I wasn't aware of "lower acceptance rates" -- In fact, many schools look out for students who bring some diversity to the campus. But foreign students do not qualify for federal aid or work-study jobs, so I think that discourages international applicants (especially if the home country provides subsidized higher education). Also, foreign students must have transcripts translated, if not already in English, and obviously the transcripts need to show education and accomplishment equivalent to US schools. If your child is in a US school, this obviously won't be a problem. If s/he is in an "International" school overseas, it also shouldn't be a problem, as I believe those schools are taught in English.

By Robyrm (Robyrm) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 05:42 am: Edit

Cfunk...I am nearly 100% sure that the determination of whether or not you are international is based on your passport/visa status- not where you go to school.

By Cfunkexonian (Cfunkexonian) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

i apologize for the ambiguity.

what i meant was, at US boarding schools there are substantial international student populations. at almost all universities, the acceptance rate for international applicants is lower; people talk about how when you go to boarding school, you lose your geographic edge, so to speak. for example, i go to exeter, and the admissions rep from colleges are responsible for that region of New Hampshire, hence responsible for the students from japan or france studying at exeter as well. so what does this come out to?

maybe jamimom or admissionsrep can help?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page