Your daughter or son looking to get an MBA? -See WSJ today!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Your daughter or son looking to get an MBA? -See WSJ today!
By Songman (Songman) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Today's Wall Street Journal has a special section called" WSJ guide to Business Schools: Recruiters' top picks. Very interesting,especially the comments regarding the traditional full time 2 year program possibly becoming a dinosaur. FYI!

By Chinaman (Chinaman) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Could you please cut and paste the artilce. Or provide links at least. Thanks

By Fundingfather (Fundingfather) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

I don't have a link, but the number one "national" school was Michigan. Others in the top 5 were CMU, Wharton, Chicago and ... I forget, but conspicuously absent from the top was Harvard (it was in the top 20, however). In the regional school rating the top spot was Purdue.

By Xdad (Xdad) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Career Journal at WSJ

The survey of 2,849 M.B.A. recruiters was conducted online between Dec. 2, 2003, and March 31, 2004, with respondents rating only schools where they said they had recent recruiting experience. To qualify for any of the three rankings, a school had to receive at least 20 recruiter ratings.

The new approach retains most of the elements of the original methodology used in the Journal's three previous M.B.A. rankings, including recruiters' perceptions of the schools and students on 20 key attributes, such as leadership potential, teamwork skills and interpersonal qualities, and the school's "mass appeal," or the number of recruiters that it attracts.

Here is a note that had to be edited out of the final edition: "We have to note that the unsubstantiated report that a certain Alexandre T., out of Dubai, filled in no fewer than 2,000 of the 2,849 surveys is not true. Anna Arbor, Editor."

By Songman (Songman) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

sorry can't do as one has to have a subscription to wall street Journal online. I read from hard copy paper. I DO NOT have a sub to wsjonline.com

here is one I found :
SB109577501492723498%2C00.html?mod=home_inside_today_us,http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB109577501492723498,00.html?mod=home_inside_today_us

here's another:http://discussions.wsj.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=wsjvoices&nav=messages&msg=3290&mod=?mod=home_inside_today_us

I could not find the enitre section though I think they want you to subscribe to WSJ online?

By Songman (Songman) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

XDAD- do you have a subscription to career? Your link seems to contain more articles from the special section in the journal today.....

By Chinaman (Chinaman) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

thanks

By Xdad (Xdad) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Songman, I believe that I might have a subscription to WSJ Online. We suscribe to so many magazines and services that I tend to lose track. I did not have to login to the site, but that may be the work of a cookie.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

"We have to note that the unsubtantiated report that a certain Alexandre T., out of Dubai, filled in no fewer than 2.000 of the 2.849 surveys is not true. Anna Arbor, Editor."
>>

XDad, LOL!!!!!!!!! Obviously, we know where Xiggi gets his sense of humor from.

By Achat (Achat) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit

Xdad, had to laugh about your note about Alexandre and 'Anna Arbor'. But he went to Cornell for MBA not U Mich.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Students should look very hard at the top regional business schools. Several have very interesting general programs and specialties, and are going to be easier to get into than the top national schools.

Interesting to me to see the University of Denver listed toward the top of the regional list. Lately I've been hearing and reading some very good things about that school - about both graduate and undergraduate programs. It's barely on the national college radar, and on this board it gets less attention than Truman State.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

I also have been reading and hearing some very good things about the University of Denver in the past two years Reidmc. Their president has made a determined effort to beef up their curriculum and attract higher caliber students. Apparently, it is no longer the "Safety school" it once was, yet offers some very attractive merit opportunities for qualified students. I've been impressed with some of their programs in business and the arts in particular and their liberal arts programs have become much stronger, in my opinion, than they are given credit for due to recent hiring decisions. Yet, as you say, it's a school that's on the radar of very few students. Wonder why?

By Perry (Perry) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

University of Denver has a dynamic president that has raised alot of money and has built a state of the art law school, new performing arts complex, and is on the upswing in many areas. Within three to five years, it should be on the national radar screen.

By Dadx (Dadx) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

One has to be VERY careful about the utility of such surveys. Having attended a much higher ranked school in this survey than Harvard, and having recruited at Harvard in the past, I can unbiasedly (and intelligently?) speculate that one of the reasons that Harvard (and Stanford, and....) rank lower than you might think is that their students don't like and don't take the jobs that many recruiters have to offer.

In that vein, the article also had a few paragraphs about MIT and a recruiter not appreciating that the interviewees didn't see his firm as a first choice for them in the workplace.

By Xdad (Xdad) on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

I second the opinion of Dadx.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page