Lodging Near Boston University

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Lodging Near Boston University
By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Any parents of BU students or people familiar with the Boston area???

I am planning a field trip for my school's chapter of Amnesty International to visit the Regional Conference in November, which is being held at Boston University. I am looking for a nice but relatively inexpensive place to stay overnight. More importantly, the hotel/motel/inn must be very very close to the campus. Are there any places within a 5 or 10 minute walk?

I spoke to someone who recommended the following places in Boston...please tell me if they are anywhere near the campus!

The Buckminister Hotel (645 Beacon St., Boston)
Chandler Inn (26 Chandler St., Boston)
John Hancock Conference Center (40 Trinity Place, Boston)
John Jeffries House (14 David G. Mugar Way, Boston)
Milner Hotel (78 South Charles St., Boston)
Best Western Terrace Motor Lodge (1650 Commonwealth Ave., Brighton)
Days Inn (1800 Soldiers Field Rd, Brighton)
Harvard Square Hotel (110 Mt. Auburn St., Cambridge)
Anthony's Town House (1085 Beacon, Brookline)
463 Beacon St. Guess House (Boston)
Cambridge House (2218 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge)
College Club (44 Commonwealth Ave., Boston)
Farrington Inn (23 Farrington Ave., Allston)
Newbury Guest House (261 Newbury St., Boston)
Oasis Guest House (22 Edgerly Road, Boston)

I would really appreciate any recommendations!!! Thanks!

By Marite (Marite) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Buckminster Hotel is in Kenmore Square and thus within walking distance of main BU buildings. Others that might be close enough are John Jeffries House and Beacon Street Guest House. Try mapquest to locate them in relation to the BU building your conference will be held at.

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Thanks, great advice!

By Dmd77 (Dmd77) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

You should call the Days Inn in Brighton, since you want cheap. They may have a van or somesuch that they can use to shuttle you to BU--they're only a few miles away. Or there may be a bus. (The road they're on goes right into Boston.)

The Best Western Terrace is on the T line that goes close to BU, but you'd still have a walk from there.

Most downtown Boston hotels are EXPENSIVE.

Also try Expedia.com --you can type in the address and it will give you distances from there to the hotels.

By Farawayplaces (Farawayplaces) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Our son goes to school across the river from BU, and from our research, the downtown hotels are $l75+ a night. We stay at bed and breakfasts near "T" stops farther out, and can get to our son's college in less than l0 minutes.

We pay about $80-110 a night at B&Bs. Here's a link you could search. I'm not familiar with Brookline that says it's accessible to BU. But the Somerville/Cambridge B&Bs are accessible with one easy "T" switch. The link:

http://www.bnbboston.com/listings.htm}

By Driver (Driver) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

I'm a big fan of the Radisson Cambridge, which is just across the river from BU and within easy walking distance (just across the bridge between the College of General Studies and the Student Union/Law School area.) We stayed there 2 years ago for around $100/night thru expedia or hotels.com. The rooms were HUGE, and very comfortable. They accept pets (we brought our dog on our college trips), have 2 good restaurants within the hotel, are next to the Trader Joe's in Cambridge, and it's also an easy walk (although longer) to Harvard Square and MIT. The staff was great, we really liked the place, and it was a great deal through the discount websites.

By Massdad (Massdad) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

The Day's in on Soldier's field road is a dump, but it's a famous property - a 9/11 participant stayed there.

Other options within walking distance of BU are the Holiday in and the Marriott Courtyard in Brookline. Both have the advantage of being in Coolidge Corner - restaurants, shops and great admosphere. The Cambridge Raddison, OTOH, is a long walk to any decent food. The area around it is perhaps an acquired taste. I never acquired it. It's convenient to transportation - Mem Drive is right out front, but if you have no car, good luck.

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

Thank you all so much for the advice, Marite, Dmd, Farawayplaces, Driver and Massdad. It's extremely helpful and I appreciate it very much.

$175 is definitely WAY too much, especially for a student field trip, and $80-100/night (split 4 ways) is much much more reasonable. I was worried that the more inexpensive places wouldn't be very nice at all, but your comments are informative and reassuring. The Radisson Cambridge sounds really great, and I plan to look into some other B&Bs, as well as the nearby Marriot (expensive?) and Holiday Inn.

I am very excited for this trip, and I want everything to be perfect--It's my senior year!

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

BTW, Massdad, are you referring to the Marriott Courtyard on Webster Street in Brookline?

By Marite (Marite) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

On the B&B site provided by Farawayplaces there are a few B&Bs in Brookline that specifically say they are close to BU. (BU is on the Green Line of the Subway system) and they seem reasonably priced. Might be helpful to contact them directly and find out more. Beware that fall foliage season is coming up and local hotels will fill up very fast.

By Massdad (Massdad) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Bebere, Yes, that's the one. very new. very good restaurants nearby. But the Holiday Inn just down Beacon Street is also quite nice.

By Idiias (Idiias) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

My TA for math just got his degree from Boston University. I have never been to MA however.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page