How much does Private Tutoring Pay?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: How much does Private Tutoring Pay?
By Simba (Simba) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:33 am: Edit

S was asked by a neighbor to tutor her son in 9th grade Geometry. Any one has any idea of how much he can expect?

He doesn't have much free time. We were thinking if the money is not much, then perhaps he could offer free help once in a while (he does that with his class mates all the time).

Then on the other hand, paid tutoring may look good on his resume.

By Sleeplessmom (Sleeplessmom) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:49 am: Edit

When my 9th grade daughter needed help with Algebra last year, the school gave me the name of a student who had just graduated. She had never tutored anyone before on a formal basis, and was a bit nervous. She asked $15 an hour and turned out to be a bargain!

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 09:17 am: Edit

$15 is a bargain if it helps. We were paying a tutor who normally advised homeschooling parents and she charged $35 an hour. She was much more structured than we felt comfortable with and it didnt last long.
Find out if student has learning disabilities or just needs extra practice and focus.
We are currently using Kumon which is very structured but individualized and often uses college students as tutors. I think it depend on area, but we pay $100 a month for twice a week sessions and outside work.

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 10:04 am: Edit

In our area (Boston) we charge between $35 and $60/hr for private tutoring, depending on the age of student, and whether preparation is for a standardized test (SAT, APs) or just for ongoing help with homework. (Younger students/homework is less)

By Dmd77 (Dmd77) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 10:11 am: Edit

Students tutoring other students (including college students tutoring HS students) usually maxxes out at around $20/hour. Professionals tutoring students--teachers or professional tutors--start at around $25 and maxxes out around $75. It depends a lot, around here, on the time of day, the subject being tutored, and the amount of tutoring required. I understand rates are a lot higher in NY--my niece has been offered considerably more.

The National Honor Society at some schools in this area arranges for peer tutoring as part of their required community service. That's usually free.

By Rhonda63 (Rhonda63) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 10:27 am: Edit

My D had occasional tutoring from a neighborhood kid (calculus). I paid him $12/hour, which is what he was charging. I understand the professionals (w/a college degree) get more like 50-75.

I remember when I was in HS you could sign up to be a tutor for classes in which you had received an A. They paid us min wage and didn't charge the students receiving the tutoring.

By Marite (Marite) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 10:53 am: Edit

In our community, we seem to have the full gamut as far as math tutoring is concerned. The high school has a drop-in math tutoring center operated by volunteers, some working adults, some college students; the high school science team operates free before-school tutoring in chemistry and biology (few students needing help take physics). There is a Kumon Center, not far away; I don't know how much they charge. For private tutoring, college students seem to charge about $20; professionals charge $50-75.
One such professional was engaged by a family we know to help a student who was allowed to do more advanced math than the rest of her class but was not being taught by the teacher. The tutor met with the student once a week; she assigned problems out of the textbook and corrected them. She also explained things that might be unclear in the text. I think she charged $65, but that was three years ago.
There's also Ask Dr. Math on the internet Math Forum, which is free.

By Rhonda63 (Rhonda63) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 10:56 am: Edit

more on tutoring offered at schools

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36868-2004Sep20.html

By Kjofkw (Kjofkw) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 11:03 am: Edit

A lot will depend on your area of the country.

We've hired 2 math tutors at different times. One was a "company" run by an individual (not Sylvan or similar). This company hired teachers who wanted extra income after school and weekends, or were retired. They charged $28/hr. (and realize some of it went into the company fund). We also once hired a teacher who was home w/ young children ($30/hr).

This is the midwest, so prices are less than the east, but I would expect a student would charge less ($15?). I have a friend (in a more expensive city) whose son was asked to tutor at $20 / hr. He was a HS senior at the time.

By Simba (Simba) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 11:13 am: Edit

Thanks. This helps. It seems that it is more than baby-sitting wages. He should be happy if he is offered anything between $10-15, and shouldn't take the responsibility at min. wage rate.

By Marite (Marite) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 11:17 am: Edit

Simba:

Don't know what part of the country you're in, but around here, baby-sitters cost $8/hr!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page