Cal Poly Admissions Question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Parents Forum: 2004 Archive - Part 2: Cal Poly Admissions Question
By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit

Seeing that Cal Poly SLO and Pomona are the flagships of the CSU system, how is admissions based when they only requiere you to meet the eligibility index and don't need essays or recommendations?

Are the people with the highest SAT score and tough corse the ones that get in?

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 02:06 am: Edit

Also how do they chose over other applicants when all they requiere are sat scores and meeting a-g requierements?

By Dannysmom (Dannysmom) on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

Yes. Eligibility index means nothing; they will take their best applicants. In the case of Calpoly SLO, that is going up all the time. It is now harder for an engineering major to get in than it is at several UCs.

By Giants8307 (Giants8307) on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 04:14 am: Edit

CP admissions is a numbers game. SAT's I's+ gpa+ EC hours+ Location= admission. If I remember correctly, they didn't even ask WHAT EC's I did. It was simply how many hours per week i participated in them. You also get a bonus if you live in SLO county. In short, it's a lot simpler than UC's. Whether that is a good thing, or not, is another matter.

Also, SAT/GPA averages are around the UC averages for several majors, not just engineering. In reality, engineering is our third-best department(Even though computer science is technically in the College of Engineering). I would say our top departments rank in this order:
1. Architecture
2. Computer Science
3. Other Engineering
4. Graphic Design
5. Agriculture

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page